News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

Flyers, leaflets and other assorted tomfoolery

Started by Cain, January 26, 2007, 01:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Captain Utopia

Thanks Cram and Nigel!

Here's a portrait version of You are your own journey which I think works better than landscape.

Dimocritus

S'more...

Not What You Think

Agree to Disagree

Rethink

I'm also going to post this here, as well, so it's not just floating in limbo:

Puppets

This is a work in progress and I really want to improve on it. The main problem I'm having is finding an appropriate image. Some one on the original thread had suggested a screen cap from Being John Malkovitch of puppets being puppeteers, which I think fits the theme, but I'm having a hard time finding a cap of it. I already know of a few things I want to change as far as wording and layout, but I want to make sure that I can get a good pic before I put too much time into it. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Cramulus

Quote from: dimo on December 15, 2009, 08:36:44 PM
S'more...

Not What You Think

Agree to Disagree

Rethink

I like these! The first one is my favorite, as it seems the most thought provoking.

QuotePuppets

This is a work in progress and I really want to improve on it. The main problem I'm having is finding an appropriate image. Some one on the original thread had suggested a screen cap from Being John Malkovitch of puppets being puppeteers, which I think fits the theme, but I'm having a hard time finding a cap of it. I already know of a few things I want to change as far as wording and layout, but I want to make sure that I can get a good pic before I put too much time into it. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm liking the energy. My advice would be to continue boiling it down until it's as dense as possible. Posters exist in an attention economy, so you need to make your point as quickly and tightly as possible.

The message seems (to me) to be "Take control of your life." But it could also be read as "Manipulating other people is necessary, so don't sweat it." --Which I like a bit less.

Captain Utopia

Wow Dimo, these rock!

"Not what you think" is my favourite, and "Agree to disagree" is my least favourite.. it didn't really force me to think about anything new. "Rethink" is simple and neat, and I really like where you're going with "Puppets". Though I'd probably be tempted to remove the black rectangle and mercilessly edit the text down by about 20% - I like the content but it comes over in too many words I think. The picture works well - gives it a creepy edge.

Dimocritus

Quote from: Cramulus on December 15, 2009, 08:55:08 PM
I like these! The first one is my favorite, as it seems the most thought provoking.

Thanks. That's the one that just "came to me out of nowhere," which seems to produce the best ones.

Quote from: Cramulus on December 15, 2009, 08:55:08 PM
I'm liking the energy. My advice would be to continue boiling it down until it's as dense as possible. Posters exist in an attention economy, so you need to make your point as quickly and tightly as possible.

The message seems (to me) to be "Take control of your life." But it could also be read as "Manipulating other people is necessary, so don't sweat it." --Which I like a bit less.

I think it's about being aware of actions, other people's and your own, and how they affect the world around you. Kinda' butterfly effect, chaos theory-ish. I'm gonna' fix the text but like I said, I need PICTURES and I'm LOSING MY MIND trying to FIND THEM!!!

Quote from: FP on December 15, 2009, 08:58:28 PM
Wow Dimo, these rock!

"Not what you think" is my favourite, and "Agree to disagree" is my least favourite.. it didn't really force me to think about anything new. "Rethink" is simple and neat, and I really like where you're going with "Puppets". Though I'd probably be tempted to remove the black rectangle and mercilessly edit the text down by about 20% - I like the content but it comes over in too many words I think. The picture works well - gives it a creepy edge.

Thanks Fiction. Yeah, the rectangles gettin' a bit old but for some reason I feel it needs a border... I dunno...

Captain Utopia

Quote from: dimo on December 15, 2009, 09:05:33 PM
Thanks Fiction. Yeah, the rectangles gettin' a bit old but for some reason I feel it needs a border... I dunno...
You could frame it other ways too, e.g.

I can take that down if you like - it's just for illustrative purposes.

Dimocritus

I'm starting to think maybe put the picture on top, then headline, then text... I'll fuck with it later. Really think it needs a better picture, though...

Pariah

Quote from: FP on November 24, 2009, 08:30:52 PM
And another, because it's kinda fun to do:

You are your own journey

Maybe too late to comment on but I really dig this.
Only thing I could suggest it it might look better with some upped contrast to a point of being dichromatic but I've always been partial to that look so feel free to disregard. Also, it could be a trick of the eye but the word "Journey" looks a lot bigger than the rest of the font in terms of font size. Personally, I think it would look better with an equal sized font.
But I really like the text, the picture and everything else. Pretty nice job.
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

Pariah

Also as a general point, I've kind of grown a dislike for logos. The only ones I would use would be the DHS logo or others like it. In that case they're necessary to the message of the poster. In most cases stuff like the chao and the gynecological crab, they don't add anything to the poster or at the worst detract from it.

Captain Utopia

Cheers, that ended up being my favourite out of the bunch, too. I'm not really visualising your suggestions about the contrast, but feel free to remix/reuse any of the text/ideas in any way you want. You're right about the font size, I got lazy rather than trying to fiddle around with positioning  :wink:

I get your point about logos. The idea for the posters was only to generate a "WTF?" response, but for conveying an actual message, I agree, they'd totally get in the way as they just create more questions than message-positive associative links.

Captain Utopia

I felt like making something silly, inspired by the evangelism thread - Come, and I accidentally did it in A4 as well.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I'd just like to point out that the asterisk also conveniently locates the Pope's butthole.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cramulus

awesome, FP!

The letter t in "to" is kind of hard to read - I would nudge it so that the color shift doesn't break the word
and the text at the bottom - does it show up well in print?

alright I printed it out and answered my own question

the answer is:
-yes you can read the tiny text
-the rest of the text didn't show up for some reason
-only 3 of the pope cards showed up printed, and they're cut off. This might just be because this isn't an 8x11 image?

weeeird

anyhow, I dig the poster! Cool logo, too!

Pariah

I'm liking it. Nice layout. And the logo is nicely designed, important to the poster, and doesn't take up the entire page. Really like it