News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Shepard Fairey

Started by LHX, February 05, 2007, 10:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: LHX on February 05, 2007, 10:54:07 PM
im tellin you man

the worse the situation gets, the better the art gets

its a strange trade-off

True.  I may be biased by the fact I was a young punk teenager at the time but I felt some of the best music and art came out of the late 80s/early 90s during the end of the Reagan administration and throughout the Bush Administration.

And then on a personal level I think it is the same.  When I was in more troubled times personally the creativity musically and poetically seemed to be endless.  When I became more "comfortable" in my personal life, it seemed more of a process to create. 

There is some powerful inspiration that can be found in adversity and hard times.  It is a strange relationship indeed. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

The UK, late 70s.  The country was going to shit, but damn there was some good music.

Mangrove

Quote from: Cain on February 06, 2007, 02:36:19 PM
The UK, late 70s.  The country was going to shit, but damn there was some good music.

brian eno's theory of culture compost - needs a lot of shit piled up for a long time before something grows.

sounds kinda like the PD actually.....
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cain

Sounds plausible.

Also, Rome.  When the Republic was disintegrating in the 1st century BC, you had Catullus, Cicero, Horace, Lucretius and Cornelius Nepos.

hunter s.durden

Quote from: Cain on February 05, 2007, 11:30:45 PM
Early 90s, I would think.

Of course, I was alot younger, but it did seem throughout the nineties that many problems that could happen were a fair way off and that things were getting better.

Think again. I remember it as being a different time, but I was much younger as well. I didn't see things like I see them today, and i'm sure my naivete colored a rosier picture than was really there.
There are alot of people who think things are going fine now; there are also people who think we are on the brink of apocalypse.
This space for rent.

LHX

the good art gets created in bad situations

people in comfortable situations get to enjoy good art

so when it does come up, they mass produce it

the more i consider this situation - the more i understand the limitations that a person has in this whole deal

prepare to be misunderstood
prepare to be 'successful'
prepare to be a innocent bystander caught in the crossfire of oppressor and oppressed and contribute to both sides equally

starting to look kind of predictable

if tempers dont boil over, then we will just suffocate on exhaust

end the show so we can get to the afterparty

like being trapped in a poorly written RAW ending

LAIL
neat hell

LMNO

Maybe that is the ultimate irony.

That in the end, as much as we hate the way he ends his books, RAW nailed it with his Burroughs-lite, faux-Joyce hackery.

LHX

Quote from: LMNO on February 06, 2007, 04:52:01 PM
Maybe that is the ultimate irony.

That in the end, as much as we hate the way he ends his books, RAW nailed it with his Burroughs-lite, faux-Joyce hackery.

fuck

i was gonna post more, but for now -- thats all i can come up with

i gotta think about some shit
neat hell

Jenne

I don't think you can say for sure either way how inspiration comes and is interpreted.  The shit that's produced now may become someone's junkyard find to be displayed and worshipped 30 years down the road.  That situation happens more often than not.  When art is produced in its present age, it's rare it's appreciated.  The lauding usually comes pothsumously, at best.

I think what is going on now is the subculture of counterculture.  It's a fairly powerful force, as it has within it this prestige factor emanating from rebellion, want of choice turned into facsimile of powers that people think they don't have/never had.  Youth counterculture is a joke because of this--innercity sub-and-microcultures get bastardized, plagiarized and watered down for mass consumption.  Media outlets feed off of them and destroy the original intent of the work/movement/whateverthefuck has come out of living in that environment, so that disgruntled, hormonal teens can glom onto it and claim it as THEIR movement.  Which we all know is just so much bullshit.

Artists like this guy Fairey know this, so they create counterculture in such a way as to not only make a message but also shove in the mass media frenzy a frisson of honesty.  He probably knows, innately, that if he ever went supercrazy famous, his message would be lost.  But he also probably knows that the time for his message is still now, because that's what he's reacting to--current times, themes and fuckups.

LMNO

Actually (in Boston, at least), he is kind of considered a sellout by some of the hiperati, because he's turning a profit.  Dumshits.

Jenne

But you see, it's true, in a large sense.  If you're not starving...you're a media monkey.  :lol:  You can't win, really.

LMNO

Lucky for me, I can make music and not starve, at the same time.

Separation of cash and art?  Is that a meme/rant possibility?

hunter s.durden

Quote from: LMNO on February 06, 2007, 07:07:15 PM
Actually (in Boston, at least), he is kind of considered a sellout by some of the hiperati, because he's turning a profit. Dumshits.

:argh!:
Yeah, his graphic design career upset people.

I would like to direct all these haters to listen to "Know-it-all" by Lagwagon.
This space for rent.

AFK

Quote from: LMNO on February 06, 2007, 07:13:08 PM
Lucky for me, I can make music and not starve, at the same time.

Separation of cash and art?  Is that a meme/rant possibility?

I guess it depends on the audience.  If one is truly motivated to speak to the masses it would seem near impossible to separate the two.  However, if it is more small scale, like what some of us here do, then it is easily separated, I would think.  Of course there are other scenarios.  For example, some punk band just doing their thing at a local dive while some suit from a big record company just happens to be in the audience.  The guy labels them "the next big thing" and blaamo, off it goes.  The band could say, "fuck you" and keep to the small time but I wonder how often that would and does happen. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jenne

I would say, RWHN...never.

Ever.

I've watched too much band angst in my short life, saw how much $ it takes to rent studios/produce your OWN music...the temptation to whore yourself out is too great to handle.

Starving man to a feast/parched to a stream, etc.