News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Hello fellow musicians, looking for some advice

Started by AFK, January 19, 2013, 04:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

So now that I am enjoying a situation where the household income is just my income, and I have some new financial freedom (read, I can buy the shit I want, when I want) I'm looking to get myself a synth.  Basically, something I can use for composition that would give me some great flexibility in terms of the kinds of sounds I can create, but also just play when I want to tinkle the (faux) ivories.

Anything you have that you'd recommend?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nephew Twiddleton

Wish I could.

However- Naked Guy plays the synth. I might ask him.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Dildo Argentino

As someone who is quite keen on having faux ivories that approximate real ones well, I am happy with the Roland FP-4. Not very portable, it has many respectable keyboardy and chromatic percussion sounds, plays nicely and I'm sure that the wizardry of MIDI would make it, coupled with a PC, sound a million shades of strange, though I haven't tried this.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

LMNO

What's your budget? Kurzweil makes pretty awesome, weighted-key synths. But they are fairly pricey.

AFK

I'd probably finance it.  I was actually thinking about a Kurzweil.  My music Prof had a really cool one with tons of voices and sounds, and even had this slider bar where you could hit a key, but then change the pitch by sliding a finger up and downthis ribbon. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.