News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Chaos Primer: Lock & Load

Started by LMNO, February 14, 2007, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Oh No, More Discordian Bullshit:  On the Eris-Specific terms of Chaos, Order, and Disorder.

When a bunch of pretentious Erisians get together to talk Shop, they usually babble away at each other with no real understanding of what anyone is talking about.¬† It,Äôs like the United Nations.

Anyway, to help, some of them came up with some terms and concepts to help figure out what they hell anyone is saying.

So, to start with, the Universe is Chaos.  Please keep in mind, this is a Discordian specific definition of Chaos.  So, this says that in the Universe, and every nanosecond that passes, something different is happening.  If you were to be able to observe the entire universe completely, down to the last quark, it would be impossible to discern what the hell is going on.  Simply put, Shit Happens.

Now, when you put a Human into the mix, they don,Äôt see Chaos.¬† The Human brain is wired to seek out patterns.¬†

When the Human sees patterns that follow some sort of progression that Human understands and can follow, we call that ,ÄúOrder,,Äù as well as ,ÄúThe Aneristic Illusion,Äù.¬† Those patterns are still just Chaos, but the Human mind has decided to separate it from its Universal surroundings.

When the Human cannot see a pattern, or cannot understand that a pattern exists, we call that ,ÄúDisorder,,Äù as well as ,ÄúThe Eristic Illusion,Äù.¬† The absence of a recognizable pattern is still just Chaos, but the Human has decided to differentiate this from ,ÄúOrder,Äù.

In this way, Erisian say that those who hold Order over Disorder, or Disorder over Order, are both deluded by their Illusions.

Triple Zero

:mittens:

I would say this is a correct explanation of discordian chaos.

also (but i have the feeling people don't feel much for this idea), i think we should coin a word for it.
as to distinguish it when talking about this specific type of chaos.

just for clarity and simplicity of our discussions, not for outside pamphletting or anything.

i propose simply "discordian chaos", or maybe an abbreviation of this
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Ugh.. the first thing that came to mind:

"dischao"

I deeply apologize.

LHX

neat hell

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on February 14, 2007, 02:56:29 PM
Ugh.. the first thing that came to mind:

"dischao"

I deeply apologize.

what cow?  :lulz:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

LHX

these definitions of chaos really remind me of yin
neat hell

LMNO

I was thinking the entire symbol was "Discordian Chaos" ("DC" from here on out), and that Order/Disorder were the Yin/Yang.

Hell, PD stole that for the "Hodge/Podge".

LHX

Quote from: LMNO on February 14, 2007, 03:19:30 PM
I was thinking the entire symbol was "Discordian Chaos" ("DC" from here on out), and that Order/Disorder were the Yin/Yang.

Hell, PD stole that for the "Hodge/Podge".

true true

i see it

so it looks like what we are dealing with here is another word (chaos) with a generally negative connotation

chaos =/= mass hysteria, pain and suffering

but

mass hysteria, pain, suffering = chaos
neat hell

LMNO

When I argue these things out, many people think:

Chaos=Disorder=anarchy=confusion=suffering.

Whereas what I think we want to say is:

Chaos=Order+Disorder=do what you want with it.

LHX

Quote from: LMNO on February 14, 2007, 03:26:23 PM
When I argue these things out, many people think:

Chaos=Disorder=anarchy=confusion=suffering.

Whereas what I think we want to say is:

Chaos=Order+Disorder=do what you want with it.

progress ITT

we need to re-visit these terms

there is a reason nike didnt name their company 'Athlete's Foot'
neat hell

LMNO

Question:

Do we disagree with the way the PD explains Chaos, order, and Disorder; and if so, how so?

LHX

the model you described above is on point from my perspective

chaos --> disorder/order

being synonymous with

tao --> yin/yang

i guess that kind of demonstrates another principle --> there is more than one way to say the same thing

lets say we dont have much attachment to terms

?
neat hell

LMNO

Problem:  If we like the PD definitions, why/how re-write them?

Cain

Chaos = the whole.  Because its the sum of order and disorder, both being experienced as part of the larger state of the universe.

Order = something which has a pattern we can grasp.
Disorder = something that does not have a pattern we can grasp (yet).