News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Fleshing out Occult - refinement of diagrams

Started by LHX, February 15, 2007, 04:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

ok...occult synthesis begins.

first up: divination

having a 'heads up' of some kind appears to be a very human need. as such, the need was filled with a myriad of methods.

cartomancy, bibliomancy, chiromancy, geomancy, necromancy, auguries, i-ching, runes, astrology, sid & nancy etc etc.

or cards, books, palms, figures traced in the dirt, speaking with the dead, omens of bird flight etc.

people seek divinations (of whatever variety) in the belief that they can either obtain information about the future, or at least, gain an alternate view of present circumstances.

why would they do this? in the case of stereotypical 'fortune telling' it is to learn about the future, probably driven by either curiosity of fear. because the future is unknown to us, the idea that certain tools can penetrate that veil is attractive.

and...uhh...oh....crap. i should've thought about this more before i started typing.

grr.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

LHX

Quote from: Mangrove on February 15, 2007, 09:12:33 PM

having a 'heads up' of some kind appears to be a very human need. as such, the need was filled with a myriad of methods.

cartomancy, bibliomancy, chiromancy, geomancy, necromancy, auguries, i-ching, runes, astrology, sid & nancy etc etc.

or cards, books, palms, figures traced in the dirt, speaking with the dead, omens of bird flight etc.

people seek divinations (of whatever variety) in the belief that they can either obtain information about the future, or at least, gain an alternate view of present circumstances.

why would they do this? in the case of stereotypical 'fortune telling' it is to learn about the future, probably driven by either curiosity of fear. because the future is unknown to us, the idea that certain tools can penetrate that veil is attractive.

and...uhh...oh....crap. i should've thought about this more before i started typing.

grr.

would it be fair to say that occult/symbol systems lend themselves to being used for divination?

(divination being one of multiple possible uses)
neat hell

Doc Howl

Quote from: LHX on February 15, 2007, 09:19:11 PM
Quote from: Mangrove on February 15, 2007, 09:12:33 PM

grr.

would it be fair to say that occult/symbol systems lend themselves to being used for divination?

(divination being one of multiple possible uses)

As in real live prognostication?

Please tell me nobody really believes in that shit.
GET IT OFF ME!

LHX

Quote from: Doc Howl on February 15, 2007, 09:20:41 PM

some people believe in it

i dont think anybody here does

but
i guess it all depends on what you mean by prognostication

if you mean you can find out who is gonna win the world series?
no

but if you mean that the release of the apple iPhone is going to have some predictable re-percussions
yes
neat hell

Mangrove

i'm trying to find a succinct way to sum up as many divinatory systems as possible.

"a collection of arbitrary symbols overlaid upon a theoretical structure & employed for purposes of interpretation with regards to the future or for gaining alternative perspective/insight in connection with a present situation."

does that fit them all?

Cain

Tantra is hardcore, but shorter.  However, you have a greater chance of burnout.

99.9% of occult truths are bullshit, or pretty obvious to anyone who takes the time to work these out.  There is more enlightenment in a passage from Machiavelli or Nietzsche than certain self-proclaimed gurus of today and years gone by.  I hardly call Paul of Tarsus an enlightened being, for example.

Mangrove

Cain: The Mythmaker - Paul and the invention of Christianity.

Very interesting take on Paul, from a Jewish persepective. Don't agree with all of the author's conclusions, but his insight into Pharisees, Saducees etc is very compelling.

LHX

Quote from: Mangrove on February 15, 2007, 09:25:36 PM
i'm trying to find a succinct way to sum up as many divinatory systems as possible.

"a collection of arbitrary symbols overlaid upon a theoretical structure & employed for purposes of interpretation with regards to the future or for gaining alternative perspective/insight in connection with a present situation."

does that fit them all?

holy fuck

thats actually some fine craftsmanship right there
neat hell

Cain

I liked the section in The Will to Power on Paul myself. Nietzsche drew some very shrewd conclusions, which seem to be quite well accepted among academia currently.

Doc Howl

Quote from: LHX on February 15, 2007, 09:22:46 PM
Quote from: Doc Howl on February 15, 2007, 09:20:41 PM

some people believe in it

i dont think anybody here does

but
i guess it all depends on what you mean by prognostication

if you mean you can find out who is gonna win the world series?
no

but if you mean that the release of the apple iPhone is going to have some predictable re-percussions
yes

Well, that is a relief.
GET IT OFF ME!

LHX

Quote from: Mangrove on February 15, 2007, 09:25:36 PM

does that fit them all?

here is some refinement:

we might be able to take out arbitrary:

a divination system:

- a collection of symbols overlaid on a theoretical structure

- used for purposes of interpreting the future
or
for gaining a alternate perspective on a present situation
neat hell

Mangrove

thanks LHX.

i mean, so many cultures invented some form of divinatory practise, some of them simple, some of they mind boggling complex, but (IMO) all born from the same impulse.

at the most basic level it's this:

think of something
juggle some symbols
interpret according to the theory
re-think

Mangrove

Doc Howl

I'm now totally lost.

Is there a glossary for noobs? 
GET IT OFF ME!

LHX

Quote from: Mangrove on February 15, 2007, 09:36:16 PM
thanks LHX.

i mean, so many cultures invented some form of divinatory practise, some of them simple, some of they mind boggling complex, but (IMO) all born from the same impulse.

at the most basic level it's this:

think of something
juggle some symbols
interpret according to the theory
re-think

agreed

the structure of divinatory systems seems virtually identical in all cases
(from what i know of at least)

same animal in different clothes

Quote from: Mangrove on February 15, 2007, 09:39:12 PM
are not the choice of symbols arbitrary?

i think the choice of symbols CAN BE arbitrary
but the choice of symbols can also be based on a symbol system that is already in place (like the i ching)
neat hell