News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I see -- so it's case of systematic corruption than it is conspiracy.  That makes more sense.  It's like normal business practices (make your team/company look good) amped up to 11.

Junkenstein

Systemic corruption could be the best way to describe a lot of the problems in the UK right now. The media going through Leveson gave a glimpse of how closely tied various power structures are here. Between police enforcement, banking roulette, cross party politics designed to protect the above and the media giving the desired spin it's hardly surprising things are fucked up here.

Example - You get a story like this pretty much daily

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-18733279

Police chief being investigated for misconduct over putting undue pressure on a case. Going to the IPCC (Independent police complaints commission).

The IPCC has quite the reputation for siding with the police. This may have something to do with it largely being made up of ex police officers of varying senior ranks. No parallels with the PCC(Press complaints commission) which deals with media complaints and is staffed by ex-editors and other senior media figures. You may recall they got bitch slapped at Leveson quite a bit over bias and generally being ineffective.

In short, the chances are if you have any kind of political power in the UK, you're probably a evil fucker. And it's better to be a loathesome example of humanity as if you are, others will protect you. Doing the right thing is a good way to kill your career.

In other news, Syria is still a thing.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18734782

QuoteA Syrian general from a powerful family close to President Bashar al-Assad has deserted the regime, sources close to his family have confirmed to the BBC.

They say Brig Gen Manaf Tlas was heading to Paris via Turkey.

Pro-government website Syriasteps earlier said Brig Gen Tlas had made an "escape", adding that the move was "insignificant".

This is looking good. I would guess Generals have a fairly realistic assessment of their survival chances over the immediate and long term future. When high ranking officers defect or desert it's usually a sign that everything is going to shit and it's time to bail and make the right noises to sympathetic powers. Your culpability in previous acts may be overlooked. Chances improve depending on what information you can bring to said power.

I do like the phrasing here. He "Escaped" implying he was somehow imprisoned or at least restricted in his movements. It's "insignificant" as senior military figures are obviously fresh to the job and expendable. This reminds me of the Iraq "Everything is OK, We are Winning" broadcasts.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Ah South Africa, I mean "sewth efrika"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18743710

QuoteSouth Africa's governing ANC has expressed its "disgust" at a cartoon of President Jacob Zuma as a penis.

QuoteThe president sued the cartoonist, who works for the Mail & Guardian newspaper, after he depicted Mr Zuma in 2008 about to rape a female figure representing justice. Mr Zuma was cleared of raping a family friend in 2006.

The pair have also clashed over Zapiro's portrayal of Mr Zuma with a shower cap on his head - a reference to Mr Zuma's statement in the rape trial that he had taken a shower after having sex to reduce the chance of contracting HIV.

QuoteIn an affidavit, Mr Zuma said: "The portrait depicts me in a manner that suggests I am a philanderer, a womaniser and one with no respect."

Mr Zuma, who has four wives, has previously sued local media companies 11 times for defamation.

For those curious about this offensive artwork, here you go.

Cue a retarded discussion over freedom of speech any minute now. Pay no attention to the fact the painting depicts him as having a penis, not as a penis.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 07, 2012, 01:32:00 AM
Ah South Africa, I mean "sewth efrika"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18743710

QuoteSouth Africa's governing ANC has expressed its "disgust" at a cartoon of President Jacob Zuma as a penis.

QuoteThe president sued the cartoonist, who works for the Mail & Guardian newspaper, after he depicted Mr Zuma in 2008 about to rape a female figure representing justice. Mr Zuma was cleared of raping a family friend in 2006.

The pair have also clashed over Zapiro's portrayal of Mr Zuma with a shower cap on his head - a reference to Mr Zuma's statement in the rape trial that he had taken a shower after having sex to reduce the chance of contracting HIV.

QuoteIn an affidavit, Mr Zuma said: "The portrait depicts me in a manner that suggests I am a philanderer, a womaniser and one with no respect."

Mr Zuma, who has four wives, has previously sued local media companies 11 times for defamation.

For those curious about this offensive artwork, here you go.

Cue a retarded discussion over freedom of speech any minute now. Pay no attention to the fact the painting depicts him as having a penis, not as a penis.

I think it's funny.  I also think the ANC expressing disgust is the best possible response.  They made their feelings known without curtailing the artist's freedom of speech.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Junkenstein

Did you misread that? The guy tried to have the painting removed from display, has sued various media organisations multiple times and  quite likely gave the order to deface the painting. The actual culprits are still unknown.

While I agree it's amusing, I'm pretty sure Zuma is not a great fan of freedom of expression.

Cain

Quote"The portrait depicts me in a manner that suggests I am a philanderer, a womaniser and one with no respect."

Yeah, I wouldn't want to put that to test of an impartial judge, in your position.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 07, 2012, 04:41:13 AM
Did you misread that? The guy tried to have the painting removed from display, has sued various media organisations multiple times and  quite likely gave the order to deface the painting. The actual culprits are still unknown.

While I agree it's amusing, I'm pretty sure Zuma is not a great fan of freedom of expression.

Yeah, I must have missed that part.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

hirley0

Quote from: Luna on July 04, 2012, 01:06:35 PM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/07/03/1105758/-Fox-Friends-picks-a-fight-with-Jon-Stewart-This-ll-go-well

Fox and Friends take a direct shot at Jon Stewart.  This is gonna go all awesome.

:popcorn:

aLLrIGHT u asK
This is NOT about Maid For Prime Time TV
tiZ more about pdX | on Thursday in the Park about 9
the security bike rider came to the bench we occupied
and in effect told us we had to leave as He was on 1
sO: yeah: we did go. the next day {YesSirDay) FrisDay
we returned to the escalation of the VIOLENT VOICE
SINGS!!!!/
there is a made for TV sets production called "GRIM"
being filmed here located at times in the 10-11th &
Main St {SW) PARKING LOT ? As (iMO) A conversion of
this Port city on the West Coast gets its Asian Invasion
retrofit prior to the post election relocation's PRIOR
to the MAIN rif Planned for AFTer the Relocation MoveMints

So, yeah, the Main Event is here on the West Coast of USa &
not on the Med as TV tacKY Types tend to propagandiZe Prime T.
it takes Year After Year to produce / with no plan 4 TS*'s to be
Stay tuned to your 21.75 KHz radio set 24/7 & BuyR con H2O

tyrannosaurus vex

http://superofficialnews.com/bill-murray-kicks-off-party-crashing-tour-starting-in-august/

Just put a sign outside that says BILL MURRAY CAN CRASH HERE. Have drinking and karaoke available at your party. Pray to the gods.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Salty

Quote from: v3x on July 10, 2012, 07:52:42 PM
http://superofficialnews.com/bill-murray-kicks-off-party-crashing-tour-starting-in-august/

Just put a sign outside that says BILL MURRAY CAN CRASH HERE. Have drinking and karaoke available at your party. Pray to the gods.

You know, something tells me that source may not be legit.
:lulz:
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Alty on July 10, 2012, 07:59:30 PM
Quote from: v3x on July 10, 2012, 07:52:42 PM

You know, something tells me that source may not be legit.
:lulz:

Recent Super Official News
Bill Murray Announces Party Crashing Tour Starting In August
Obama Auctioning Off All Pot Seized In Drug Raids Since 2008
TSA Now Offering Free Gift With All Full Body Cavity Searches
Mitt Romney Leaving The Mormon Religion For Christianity
Details Of The 5-Year Marriage Contract Between Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes
Announced – The Big Lebowski 2: The Dude Goes To Washington
Joe Arpaio Announces New Zombie Bath Salt Task Force Called SALTS
DEA Chief Dodges More Questions Friday At Her Own Mental Health Screening
Mitt Romney Campaign Using "Ron Paul Diversion Vehicles"
New Drug Craze Leaves 3 Teenagers Hospitalized
9Gag Suing Reddit For 50 Million Dollars
Gay Zombie Attack In Louisiana From Bath Salts Leaves 7 Dead
Facebook Launches New Gold Account Program For $9.95/month
North Carolina: First State Making It Illegal To Be Gay
Prisoner Escape Used Scenes From The Shawshank Redemption
Obama Says More Gay Comments, This Time About Nickelback
Man Who Determined Ice Cube's "Good Day" Awarded Nation's Highest Medal
Mitt Romney Mad About His Universe Selection As God In The Afterlife
Billionaire's New Presidential Campaign: Check None Of The Above
Man Not Guilty in Killing Wife Over Too Many Facebook Game Requests
Televangelist Pat Robertson Tells His Congregation That He's Gay
Obama Signs NTACT Into Law: Allows Waterboarding Marijuana Users
New 'Work to Fly' Program Sponsored by Mitt Romney
Local Man Stops Robbery By Quoting Pulp Fiction
Rick Santorum Voted People's Sexiest Republican Alive
New Trayvon Martin Photos Emerge
Maryland's $640 Million Mega Millions Winner Comes Forward
:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Salty

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 14, 2012, 09:21:39 PM
Stuxnet leak prompts US House to consider prosecution of journalists

... what :?

It's called Freedom (TM), Trip. Get used it to, it will eventually work its way to Belgium.

MEANWHILE, far more important than disappearing basic human rights:

http://www.ktuu.com/news/talkeetna-alaska-mayor-is-a-cat-named-stubbs-20120713,0,3624077.story

DAWWWWW.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Junkenstein

Anna Mae Bollocks

From February...how'd I miss this?

http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-prison-group-geo-169/

"The prison industrial complex is the latest victim of Anonymous' #FuckFBIFriday campaign. Hacktivists have compromised data from a massive correctional facility management firm and have defaced their website.

"...Along with a missive placed on the homepage of the GEO Group's website, Anonymous has installed an image of Mumia Abu-Jamal, who earlier this year reached the 30-year anniversary of being in prison, despite a plethora of legal concerns waged by activists who continue to rally for his release. Anonymous has also altered the site so that visitors to TheGEOGroupInc.com are exposed to an audio recording of the track "Mumia 911," which is performed by artists including Pharoahe Monch, Public Enemy's Chuck D and Zack de la Rocha of Rage Against the Machine."
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division