News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Well it had to be SOMETHING like that, didn't it?

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

AFK

I would've stayed away from the "good apples" abiding by the spirit of the state law, but good on him for shutting down the other places. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Still trying to decide if he's throwing it on purpose, a narcissistic shithouse rat, or both.

http://www.project.nsearch.com/profiles/blogs/mitt-romney-i-was-too-important-to-go-to-vietnam
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

It's pretty sad when a crazed killer is more considerate of bystanders than the police.  Wounding nine bystanders to take down a single guy is pretty impressive though, in a twisted sort of way. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on August 25, 2012, 11:50:02 PM
Police: All Empire State shooting victims were wounded by officers
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/25/justice/new-york-empire-state-shooting/index.html

:x

We're training the police to view law enforcement as combat... this is the inevitable result. It'll get worse.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Britannia Unchained: the rise of the new Tory right.  A group of Conservative MPs are trying to seize the political agenda with some of the most rightwing ideas the party has seen in decades – and many are taking them seriously.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/aug/22/britannia-unchained-rise-of-new-tory-right

QuoteLast Friday, a leaked fragment from a book co-written by Raab and four other Conservative MPs, Britannia Unchained: Global Lessons for Growth and Prosperity, due to be published next month, appeared in the London Evening Standard. The passage, red meat for phone-ins and columnists ever since, argued less politely for an improvement in our national work ethic: "The British are among the worst idlers in the world. We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor. Whereas Indian children aspire to be doctors or businessmen, the British are more interested in football and pop music."

Further detailed revelations about the book remain forbidden by a pre-publication embargo. But having read it, I can safely say that Britannia Unchained has a brevity, pace and scope that elevates it a little above the usual pre-party-conference polemics. "Britain is at a crossroads which will define our place in the world for generations," begins one of its publisher's sales pitches. "From our economy, to our education system, to social mobility and social justice, we must learn the rules of the 21st century, or we face an inevitable slide into mediocrity."

When I speak to Raab again after the Evening Standard extract, he says it gave "a skewed and inaccurate reflection of what is in the book". Yet over the last year he and his co-authors, all of them members of a new Conservative parliamentary faction called the Free Enterprise Group, have made little secret of the harsh medicine they believe Britain needs to take. Last year, for example, Raab wrote a paper for the Centre for Policy Studies (CPS) – since the birth of Thatcherism one of the radical right's fiercest thinktanks – urging that "the definition of fair dismissal should be widened ... to encompass inadequate performance ... [This] would help employers get the best from their staff." The paper also argued for exempting small businesses from paying the minimum wage for under-21s, the already less-than-lavish hourly sum of between £3.68 and £4.98.

Raab has been an MP barely two years. Before winning a huge majority of 18,593 in one of the wealthiest seats in the country, he studied law at Oxford and Cambridge, practised in the City of London, and worked at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. He only joined the Conservative party in 2005, after the worst of its modern slump was over. Yet during our interview, it steadily becomes clearer that his confidence derives from more than this assured personal trajectory. There is also his belief that the radical right's time is coming. "I'm a big Thatcher fan," he says, dropping his guard a little as the interview approaches its end. "The coalition has done a lot of good incremental work, on the deficit and so on. Do I think we need a more decisive shift to build on what the coalition has done? The answer is a definite yes."

It may come as a surprise to those who already consider the coalition a tough government, with its hairshirt rhetoric and seemingly endless spending cuts, but a growing number of Tory backbenchers, business figures, commentators and thinkers feel that the coalition – and by implication, other austerity governments across the west – is not nearly tough enough. Since 2011, as the British economy has slumped, this energetic but largely unnoticed political alliance, somewhere between a lobby group and a proper movement, has begun to show its strength.

Since last autumn there has been the smouldering controversy about the Beecroft Report, a government-commissioned review of employment law by the powerful venture capitalist and Tory donor Adrian Beecroft. His recommendations, even more wide-ranging than Raab's – including the loosening of regulations covering the employment of children – have so far proved too contentious to be adopted by the increasingly fragile coalition. But they have become close to a sacred cause for the administration's proliferating critics in the rightwing press. Sometimes the demands for bolder government are frank: "Come on Dave, be brave," [paywall] urged the Sunday Times in May. "A bonfire of regulation was promised, but few businesses report any relaxation in red tape." Sometimes the demands are more oblique: last month, a series of Daily Telegraph articles themed as "Britain Unleashed" mixed essays on the virtues of unfettered capitalism with admiring references to other countries – usually Asian – where supposedly more red-blooded free markets operate.

In January, the chief executive of Britain's biggest insurer Prudential, Tidjane Thiam, told the annual gathering of the global elite at Davos that across Europe, "the minimum wage is a machine to destroy jobs." Speaking at the South Bank Centre in London the following week, the far-sighted BBC economics journalist and author Paul Mason interpreted Thiam's remarks as a sign of an emerging "more radical version of neoliberalism, where we're basically, finally, told: 'The race to the bottom, to be like China, is on, and we're all going to do it. So your wages will meet the Chinese somewhere, and so will your social conditions ... abolish minimum wages, abolish social protection." In the audience, which had gathered to hear Mason talk about the leftwing, street-politics response to the economic crisis, not a formidable new rightwing one as well, there were a few seconds of uncomfortable silence.

Junkenstein

This week in "How to Summarise Israel" we have this highly competive entry:

QuoteAn Israeli court has ruled that the state of Israel was not at fault for the death of US activist Rachel Corrie, who was killed in the Gaza Strip by an Israeli army bulldozer in 2003

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19391814
Surprise all round. Cue US giving not one shit at 11.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

AFK

Of course not, it's Israel.  They can do no wrong in the eyes of pretty much any US Politician, regardless of what side of the aisle they are on.

Proof positive, like it is needed, that religion still is in the driver seat when it comes to our government.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

So, some South African miners go on strike.

The police break up the strike by killing 34 of them.

Then, under an apartheid era law, the remaining miners are charged with the murders of their colleagues.  Fortunately, the murder charge has now been dropped, but they could, in theory, be raised again.

QuoteProsecutors provisionally dropped murder charges against the 270 jailed miners who had been accused under an obscure legal doctrine of killing 34 of their own colleagues when the police opened fire on them while engaged in a wildcat strike.

The police fired live ammunition into a crowd of about 3,000 platinum miners armed with clubs and machetes while trying to disperse the illegal strike on Aug. 16. When the firing stopped, 34 miners were dead and South Africa was outraged by the bloodiest confrontation between the police and civilians since the end of apartheid. The police have claimed they acted in self-defense.

The outrage grew when prosecutors announced last week that under a legal doctrine known as "common purpose," the miners would be charged with murdering their colleagues. Under the doctrine, which was frequently used in the waning days of apartheid to charge members of protesting crowds with serious crimes committed by a few individuals, people in a mob can be charged as accomplices.

In a hastily arranged news conference Sunday, officials from the National Prosecuting Authority said that they would await the outcome of further investigations into the shootings, but they did not rule out bringing murder charges again.

"Final charges will only be made once all investigations have been completed," Nomgcobo Jiba, the acting national director of prosecutions, told reporters. "The murder charges against the current 270 suspects will be formally withdrawn provisionally in court."

Prosecutors also said they had not ruled out charges against the police.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/03/world/africa/murder-charges-dropped-against-south-african-miners.html?_r=1

Luna

State of Ohio GOP Mucky-Mucks:  "We can't have you people who WORK for a living voting.  If your job is so menial that you can't bugger off whenever you like and vote, fuck you, you'd probably vote Democrat anyway.  No early voting."

Federal Judge:  "Fuck you guys.  Early voting will be open."

SoOGOPMM:  "Fuck that noise, we're going to appeal, and appeal, and will nail the fucking doors shut to keep from losing this election.  No change in the schedule until it is rammed down our throats by the courts, and if we can delay this shit long enough, we'll get that (DELETED) out of the White House."

http://veracitystew.com/2012/09/04/gop-voter-suppression-ohios-secretary-of-state-refuses-to-abide-by-court-ruling/ 
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."