News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

He posted about being an incel on social media. Like, a lot.

He also posted about Qanon.

Trivial

Life imitates discussions had at our D&D table.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Frontside Back

Welp, at least I didn't have time to grow attached to this planet.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

Cain

You're going to get melted to a patch of rock, that's plenty of time and attachment.

Well, under it's under sea level.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 01, 2019, 10:14:51 PM
You're going to get melted to a patch of rock, that's plenty of time and attachment.

Well, under it's under sea level.

Well, what's really awesome is the permafrost around the glacier.  Melt that, you get tons and tons of methane, which is carbon dioxide's big ugly brother when it comes to greenhouse gasses.

Not to mention the change in the ocean's alkalinity.
Molon Lube

Cain

Yeah, and that's when we hit a 5C global temperature rise and civilization becomes impossible to sustain.

There's also this thing where methane gas gets trapped under the water, and comes up in giant, "kill everything" death bubbles.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 01, 2019, 10:28:08 PM
Yeah, and that's when we hit a 5C global temperature rise and civilization becomes impossible to sustain.

There's also this thing where methane gas gets trapped under the water, and comes up in giant, "kill everything" death bubbles.

Thing is, it's a race between the ocean currents destabilizing and then the big freeze, or the ocean going acidic and everything dying.
Molon Lube

The Johnny

It's a funny thought, that out of all the adjectives one could utilize to define the global transnational elite, besides "pigs", greedy, psychopathic, narcissistic, etc etc... one could add "nihilistic" to the list.

I know im a bit of a Nietzsche fanboy, but could this be the ultimate consequences of the "Death of God"? Ecological suicide, that is? I cant even grasp the whole implications or ramifications of this idea. On first thoughts this is the logical conclusion of mechanistic ideology, but what is that ideology but a slow and gradual replacement of religion as the centerpiece.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

There's a very Christian train of thought that says the earth was put here to be exploited by mankind, and that ecological disaster doesn't matter because only Heaven matters.

I think it comes from Calvinism, though I could be wrong.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 02, 2019, 08:19:42 AM
There's a very Christian train of thought that says the earth was put here to be exploited by mankind, and that ecological disaster doesn't matter because only Heaven matters.

Southern Baptists, really, at least as far as I have noticed.  Calvinists instead say that God did this on purpose to punish poor people with a declining standard of living.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 02, 2019, 03:08:40 PM
Quote from: Cain on August 02, 2019, 08:19:42 AM

Southern Baptists, really, at least as far as I have noticed.  Calvinists instead say that God did this on purpose to punish poor people with a declining standard of living.

That could be it. I know it's bound up in that prosperity gospel bullshit either way.

altered

It started with the Baptists, the original ones. The crazy bastards today come in a few flavors, including: God won't let the Earth die, and the excellently Manichaean "this is paving the way to heaven on Earth by destroying the sin of the earth and we have to destroy it all before the Rapture."

In practice they're a mere step from the Batenburgers. Look them up. They'd be right at home in the USA.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Quote from: nullified on August 02, 2019, 06:36:42 PM

In practice they're a mere step from the Batenburgers.

At least they make nice cakes