News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

If you haven't been paying attention to the House Speaker votes, you should go do that. It's getting really, really fucking stupid.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on January 04, 2023, 10:13:25 PM
If you haven't been paying attention to the House Speaker votes, you should go do that. It's getting really, really fucking stupid.

I have been wheezing laughter for two straight days.
Molon Lube

altered

Hannity and Boebert apparently got into a shitfight on national TV about it. This MIGHT be proof of divine intervention.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Nibor the Priest

Can anyone do a quick Explain Like I'm Five And/Or Stupid for the non-Americans? I see McCarthy keeps losing the vote, but apparently that doesn't mean somebody else wins, or even that he's out of the running? Are they planning to just keep on holding votes until people change their minds out of boredom?

Is this because he said the 2020 election result was legitimate?

altered

Someone would need to receive a true majority (greater than 50% of total available votes) before a winner can be declared.

I might be wrong on this, but it's my understanding: There are no rules about shoving the same dumbass out there to get pelted with rotten fruit over and over. You can do whatever, as long as the nominee is legally able to hold the office (e.g. is an elected Congresscreature). Everyone could nominate themselves if they wanted to.

And yeah, they really don't have any other choice. No Speaker means Congress can't pass laws and none of its members have security clearance. They have to come to work but there's nothing they can do except for this stupid fucking charade. It's great.

Faust

How long can that go on for before it goes back to elections?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

altered

As I understand it? FOREVER. There's no mechanism for this. The framework simply assumes people aren't that stupid.

We know better, but they clearly didn't.

EDIT: I mean, okay, forever's a slight exaggeration, but at least until the next election cycle. I don't know if a non-functional Congress affects Congressional elections, but if I'm sure that if it doesn't, that's by happenstance rather than design.

altered

I don't have anything I can add. This image is a masterpiece.

It just keeps getting fucking better.

Nibor the Priest

altered

:lulz: I guess they got their wish.

Nibor the Priest

Apparently the previous record is 133 ballots over two months, in 1855. Let's see if they can smash that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64178794

They eventually changed the candidate and agreed to elect a speaker by plurality, but that seems to have been a one-time thing.

(multiple edits: I found that weird, because presumably (i) they'd have needed a majority to agree to accept the plurality ruling, and (ii) the majority wouldn't have agreed to accept the plurality ruling without knowing "their" guy would win a plurality; so how could it work unless there was already a candidate with majority support? The reason seems to be that the cause of the no-majority problem that year was a huge number of third-party congressfolk, following the splintering of the Whig party.)