News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

There's also the aspect of youth learning "authorities" are not always as correct as they think and do make mistakes. A lesson that should be taught more often and is rarely seen in education.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 05, 2013, 08:20:44 AM
I've been pondering this the past couple of days.

On one hand, I tell outrageous lies to any who I think would believe them. It's caused a few laughs over the years, and I doubt anyone was seriously hurt. Felony charges seem a bit strong for what was clearly intended to be a prank (The date helps that defence) and surely in good humour.

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt for good humour because I think that DJ's would technically be classed as news broadcasters. Now if you start handing out felony charges to news broadcasters that have caused panic and alarm with false information.... you have to start making a big list.

There's also the thing that the only people really allowed to be pissed about this in my opinion is the listener base, which I doubt is that large in the scheme of things. Complaints will be coming from everywhere. Seems kind of unfair as they weren't advertising revenue before and are even less likely to be now. I could see a hypothetical situation where they get more letters of support than complaint from their actually listener base and still get sacked. That seems kind of shitty.

They aren't newsmen but they are broadcasters and should at least have had a minimum of training.

The radio is used as part of the public emergency warning system.

People who were not listening are likely to have been affected as news spread by word of mouth.

It was dangerous and irresponsible, and they at the very least deserve to be fined and fired.

There are different levels of responsibility for different professions.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 05, 2013, 04:50:47 PM

On one hand, I tell outrageous lies to any who I think would believe them. It's caused a few laughs over the years, and I doubt anyone was seriously hurt. Felony charges seem a bit strong for what was clearly intended to be a prank (The date helps that defence) and surely in good humour.

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt for good humour because I think that DJ's would technically be classed as news broadcasters. Now if you start handing out felony charges to news broadcasters that have caused panic and alarm with false information.... you have to start making a big list.

There's also the thing that the only people really allowed to be pissed about this in my opinion is the listener base, which I doubt is that large in the scheme of things. Complaints will be coming from everywhere. Seems kind of unfair as they weren't advertising revenue before and are even less likely to be now. I could see a hypothetical situation where they get more letters of support than complaint from their actually listener base and still get sacked. That seems kind of shitty.

They aren't newsmen but they are broadcasters and should at least have had a minimum of training.

People who were not listening are likely to have been affected as news spread by word of mouth.

It was dangerous and irresponsible, and they at the very least deserve to be fined and fired.

I do agree in the most part. Personally I don't take DJ as a particularly serious profession so I'm probably viewing this with an undue degree of sympathy though.

Regarding the bolded, this is what I was getting towards with the news media at large. How much total bullshit is broadcast and then repeated by word of mouth? If a fine and sacking is in order for the DJ's, surely a few talking heads are overdue for the same?

Junkenstein

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 05, 2013, 04:51:13 PM
Quote from: stelz on April 05, 2013, 04:24:15 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on April 05, 2013, 12:51:27 PM
http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/04/17600743-scientology-linked-rehab-narconon-under-fire-from-two-former-executives?lite

Scientology still a thing, more ex-members remind you it's a bad thing.

Didn't Nigel peg AA as a cult recently? NA, Scientology...

Totally a cult.

I can't claim firsthand experience of any AA type thing, but it struck me as unhealthy bullshit that a "higher power" seemed built into a lot of them. Always a strong indicator to Run fast, Run far.

LMNO

Ok, junk has made a point.

Two DJs make a factual but seemingly fraudulent statement about Florida tap water, and are in danger of felonious behavior.

An entire administration makes fraudulent but seemingly factual statements about Iraq's possession of WMD, but are not charged at all.

That a lot more hippie-ish than intended, but you see what I'm getting at. No dead vs 200,000+ dead, and the DJs face jail time.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 05, 2013, 06:28:10 PM
Ok, junk has made a point.

Two DJs make a factual but seemingly fraudulent statement about Florida tap water, and are in danger of felonious behavior.

An entire administration makes fraudulent but seemingly factual statements about Iraq's possession of WMD, but are not charged at all.

That a lot more hippie-ish than intended, but you see what I'm getting at. No dead vs 200,000+ dead, and the DJs face jail time.

Allow me to reitterate:

1.  Big thieves hang little thieves.

2.  Kill one person, go to prison for life.  Kill 200,000 people, ride to the opera in a limosine.

3.  Rape gets you a year, an ounce of pot gets you 26 years.

4.  Start a war, become a statesman.  Play a stupid & juvenile prank, get felony charges.

That's all you really need to know about the American justice system.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

McGrupp

Apparently imprisonment isn't enough anymore. I'm hearing a rumor that the man who wrote this has been arrested today. I was going to rant about it but all I ended up writing was the word FUCK a bunch of times.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-mcgowan/communication-management-units_b_2944580.html

QuoteOnly now -- three years after I filed a federal lawsuit to get to the truth -- have I learned why the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) sent me to the CMU: they simply did not like what I had to say in my published writing and personal letters.  In short, based on its disagreement with my political views, the government sent me to a prison unit from which it would be harder for me to be heard, serving as a punishment for my beliefs.

The Good Reverend Roger

Communication Management Units.

I am unsurprised by either their existence or the name.  The name itself is a slap in the face to everything even remotely connected to the idea of a free and open society.

I am also unsurprised that Obama and Holder continued their existence.  They won't ever go away...The idea is just TOO 21st Century America to ever die.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 05, 2013, 05:54:21 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 05, 2013, 04:50:47 PM

I do agree in the most part. Personally I don't take DJ as a particularly serious profession so I'm probably viewing this with an undue degree of sympathy though.

Regarding the bolded, this is what I was getting towards with the news media at large. How much total bullshit is broadcast and then repeated by word of mouth? If a fine and sacking is in order for the DJ's, surely a few talking heads are overdue for the same?

A fuckton, and yes, and that is the problem with the insane power imbalance in our society.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: McGrupp on April 05, 2013, 08:58:58 PM

Apparently imprisonment isn't enough anymore. I'm hearing a rumor that the man who wrote this has been arrested today. I was going to rant about it but all I ended up writing was the word FUCK a bunch of times.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/daniel-mcgowan/communication-management-units_b_2944580.html

QuoteOnly now -- three years after I filed a federal lawsuit to get to the truth -- have I learned why the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) sent me to the CMU: they simply did not like what I had to say in my published writing and personal letters.  In short, based on its disagreement with my political views, the government sent me to a prison unit from which it would be harder for me to be heard, serving as a punishment for my beliefs.

Well fuck everything. That's it; we have finally arrived at FULL ORWELL.

Junkenstein

QuoteA teenager who became Britain's first youth police and crime commissioner (PCC) has apologised for violent, racist and anti-gay remarks on Twitter.

Paris Brown, 17, was appointed to work alongside Kent's Independent PCC Ann Barnes representing young people across the county last week.

Paris said she was "showing off and wildly exaggerating" in the tweets reported in The Mail on Sunday.

Ms Barnes said Paris would "learn quickly from this".

The newspaper also reported Paris boasted about her sex life, drug taking and drinking on her account @vilulabelle on the social networking website.

Her Twitter page has since been removed.

In a statement, Paris said: "I deeply apologise for any offence caused by my use of inappropriate language and for any inference of inappropriate views.

Paris has previously used Twitter for what she described as "showing off and wildly exaggerating"
"I am not homophobic, racist or violent and am against the taking of drugs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-22057246

A shock as the whole PCC/ Youth PCC was totally not supposed to be a do-nothing job with minimal responsibilities.Still a stunning display of no sense. Not like a recent matter that affected the youth in this country was some kind of riot last year with more than a few ankle biters heading to the pokey.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: V3X on April 04, 2013, 02:36:10 PM
No, no I get that. It's just that people should be able to freak out a little and then say "lol joke!" It's not that the response is inappropriate given the way things are, it's that the way things are is inappropriate.

When it comes to radio, the FCC is in charge, F = Federal, breaking a federal law = felony. I used to be a radio DJ, and there's a very clear rule on the subject of hoaxes.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson