News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 08, 2018, 11:02:56 PM
I'm assuming the implicit signal here of "if you're transgender you're going to die" is a feature and not a bug.

"Sorry kid, all life is sacred and all that but we can't have you potentially raping the real girls, so off to the gym bleachers to get shot at."

Oh, it's even more than that.  Everyone knew this was a drill.

The message is "You are not a person, we're just making that clear."
Molon Lube

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I'm more troubled by the idea that being in the correct locker room would be a priority in an emergency situation. It's barely a legitimate concept when it isn't an emergency. Regardless of whether you accept this person's identity it seems to me that the correct locker room to take shelter in during an emergency, for anyone, would be "whichever one is closest".

It's less a trans issue and much more of a general gender issue. The more important issue is that they're teaching people that not only does it mateer if you're a man or a woman, but that it matters more than prudently getting to safety in an emergency. Which is total bullshit. The only time it legitimately matters whether you're a man or a woman is during sexual intercourse and certain medical procedures
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on October 07, 2018, 08:05:01 PM
You asked, LMNO...

QuoteChina has confirmed it is holding the missing head of Interpol, Meng Hongwei.

Beijing said he was under investigation by the country's anti-corruption body for unspecified breaches of the law.

Mr Meng, also a vice-minister of public security in China, was reported missing after travelling from the city of Lyon in France, where Interpol is based, to China on 25 September.

QuoteChina's National Supervision Commission, which handles corruption cases involving public servants, said Mr Meng was under investigation in a statement on its website.

Mr Meng is the latest high-profile disappearance in China, where a number of top government officials, billionaires and even an A-list celebrity have vanished in recent months.

Earlier this week, actress Fan Bingbing, who disappeared in China in July, emerged with a public apology and a fine of 883 million yuan ($129m; £98.9m) for tax evasion and other offences.

Yeah, I heard that this morning.  Not sure if this is just business (grift) as usual, or if it's rising above the baseline of things to worry about.

Cain

It's business as usual in the sense China is cracking down hard.  They've brought their "social credit" system online, whereby citizens are rated as to ther trustworthiness.  Do the right thing...you get cheaper loans, better medical care, better access to higher level jobs.  Do the wrong things...you get penalized financially, maybe dragged off to a detention centre for "re-education".

They're using an extreme version of this in Xinjiang, where they're cracking down heavily on any expressions of Islamic faith.  Uighur citizens already get an automatically lower score than ethnic Han, and these are significantly lowered by, for example, praying, covering one's hair, being a man between 18-45 or having studied overseas.  There are CCTVs with facial recognition programs on every street corner and microphones in most public places.  It's the world's largest open air concentration camp, which is made even worse by the actual concentration camps many Uighur are being taken to for "re-education".  It's estimated between 500,000 and 1 million are currently in these camps, and they are expanding.

Basically, someone in the Politburo watched the final two seasons of Person Of Interest and said "Samaritan, what a brilliant idea!"

LMNO

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on October 09, 2018, 02:34:37 AM
I'm more troubled by the idea that being in the correct locker room would be a priority in an emergency situation.

That's because you aren't thinking like a pinhead.
Molon Lube

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Cain on October 09, 2018, 01:42:47 PM
It's business as usual in the sense China is cracking down hard.  They've brought their "social credit" system online, whereby citizens are rated as to ther trustworthiness.  Do the right thing...you get cheaper loans, better medical care, better access to higher level jobs.  Do the wrong things...you get penalized financially, maybe dragged off to a detention centre for "re-education".

They're using an extreme version of this in Xinjiang, where they're cracking down heavily on any expressions of Islamic faith.  Uighur citizens already get an automatically lower score than ethnic Han, and these are significantly lowered by, for example, praying, covering one's hair, being a man between 18-45 or having studied overseas.  There are CCTVs with facial recognition programs on every street corner and microphones in most public places.  It's the world's largest open air concentration camp, which is made even worse by the actual concentration camps many Uighur are being taken to for "re-education".  It's estimated between 500,000 and 1 million are currently in these camps, and they are expanding.

Basically, someone in the Politburo watched the final two seasons of Person Of Interest and said "Samaritan, what a brilliant idea!"

I was thinking it was more like the setting from Paranoia
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

minuspace

"If people break their promises they won't be able to move an inch."

Bu🤠ns

Rand Paul's wife says she keeps loaded gun by her bed over fear of liberals https://www.newsweek.com/paul-wife-loaded-gun-liberal-attacks-1160029

Quote"We've updated all of our security systems at home. I sleep with a loaded gun by my bed. I'm home alone a lot, obviously when Rand is [in Washington], and so I've got deadbolts all around my house so that if someone's in my house when I go to bed I'm deadbolted in three different levels," Paul told Breitbart for an interview published Monday.

She also commented about the recent rash of protestors heckling prominent politicians at restaurants in Washington. The most recent example was Senator Ted Cruz of Texas and his wife last month as protestors forced the couple to leave a restaurant after chants against Cruz's support of now-Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

axod

Quote from: Bu☆ns on October 10, 2018, 03:23:12 AM
Rand Paul's wife says she keeps loaded gun by her bed over fear of liberals https://www.newsweek.com/paul-wife-loaded-gun-liberal-attacks-1160029

Quote"We've updated all of our security systems at home. I sleep with a loaded gun by my bed. I'm home alone a lot, obviously when Rand is [in Washington], and so I've got deadbolts all around my house so that if someone's in my house when I go to bed I'm deadbolted in three different levels," Paul told Breitbart for an interview published Monday.

She also commented about the recent rash of protestors heckling prominent politicians at restaurants in Washington. The most recent example was Senator Ted Cruz of Texas and his wife last month as protestors forced the couple to leave a restaurant after chants against Cruz's support of now-Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.
At least, at least "any sea-dwelling mammal can actually sleep with half a brain."
*pops a fanTa*
just this

axod

Quote[...]  There are CCTVs with facial recognition programs on every street corner and microphones in most public places [...]

Quote from: LuciferX on October 10, 2018, 03:22:34 AM
"If people break their promises they won't be able to move an inch."

ah, yes, the good 'ol days, before people wouldnt even leave the house without their own personal self-surveillance systems on the ready and always running, not even an inch away.
just this

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

The Iranian Revolutionary Guard make a lot of money off of Iran being internationally isolated.  It's classic "better to rule in hell" logic, they'd rather dominate the smoking crater of the Iranian economy with global sanctions arrayed against them, then be just one player among many in a globally integrated Iranian economy.

Hence why the Revolutionary Guard keep kidnapping people from countries that do business in Iran.

And since the Qoms Brigade of the Revolutionary Guard often handles the terrorist side of things...I'm sure you can see where I'm going here?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 13, 2018, 09:48:29 PM
The Iranian Revolutionary Guard make a lot of money off of Iran being internationally isolated.  It's classic "better to rule in hell" logic, they'd rather dominate the smoking crater of the Iranian economy with global sanctions arrayed against them, then be just one player among many in a globally integrated Iranian economy.

Hence why the Revolutionary Guard keep kidnapping people from countries that do business in Iran.

And since the Qoms Brigade of the Revolutionary Guard often handles the terrorist side of things...I'm sure you can see where I'm going here?

Well, yes.  America is doing the same thing, in a more subtle manner.  All this yammering about tariffs and whatnot is still all part of the isolation game.

You think there's any chance the Iranian government will be able to get control of this?
Molon Lube

Cain

Not any time soon. Rouhani has been neutered by the conservative clerics, and they won't move against the Revolutionary Guard.  The war talk being pushed by Bolton also, of course, empowers the military factions over there as well, so even if some were willing, they'd say now is not the time.

I was rather hoping economic forces would render them less dangerous in the long run, but that does rely on the US lifting sanctions at some point.