News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 11, 2019, 03:23:06 AMI got in this discussion in a bar last night with an atheist, and I'm like, "Look, dude, think about the target audience, how do you think society would be different if the angel of the lord just started rambling about dinosaurs and explosions to begin with?"

We all start out as ignorant as the ancients when we're born. They'd just need to talk to the children that can still be educated
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Juana

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 11, 2019, 03:23:06 AMI got in this discussion in a bar last night with an atheist, and I'm like, "Look, dude, think about the target audience, how do you think society would be different if the angel of the lord just started rambling about dinosaurs and explosions to begin with?"
my deeply catholic mother has always described the bible, especially parts of the old testament, as basically bed time stories for pretty much the same reason. which is probably not the line as per the Church but the american heresy is a thing.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Fujikoma

Yeah, my grandmother was freaking nuts, hook line and sinker nuts way over the deep end. She was convinced I was a prophet, and I was just a child. She made me study the bible, she taught me divination and how to decode the "secret messages" hidden in everything... even when every other christian turned on me for having sympathy for the devil, and the damned, she was ok with that. She told me it was symbolic, that it wasn't the actual blood and body, but a thing one does in rememberance of the last supper, and of the acts of christ. Granted, she wasn't your typical christian by any means. If people actually take it literally, well, I didn't know that, but I guess they do.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I kind of want to see someone do a Last Supper themed ad for menstural cups. "This is the cup of my blood"

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Fujikoma

It's a shame Jesus wasn't a girl.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 11, 2019, 03:23:06 AM
Look, ok, in my view, the bible IS truth... in the way an elder educates a toddler. That leaves a lot of room for interpretation. The toddler is now grown, to believe in Santa Claus is fucking foolish, well, except there's the whole regiment of Santa's Little Inquisition, which will nail you for heresy if you believe that Santa exists more in the symbolic sense to encourage us to be more generous with eachother.

I got in this discussion in a bar last night with an atheist, and I'm like, "Look, dude, think about the target audience, how do you think society would be different if the angel of the lord just started rambling about dinosaurs and explosions to begin with?"

I am pretty sure most religion is basically a very primitive attempt at science, in which crude observations of natural laws are attributed to an invisible hand. It's a lot like Libertarian economic logic.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 18, 2019, 12:41:59 PM
It's a shame Jesus wasn't a girl.

In this commercial I'm proposing he would be

Fujikoma

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 18, 2019, 03:20:21 PM
Look, ok, in my view, the bible IS truth... in the way an elder educates a toddler. That leaves a lot of room for interpretation. The toddler is now grown, to believe in Santa Claus is fucking foolish, well, except there's the whole regiment of Santa's Little Inquisition, which will nail you for heresy if you believe that Santa exists more in the symbolic sense to encourage us to be more generous with eachother.

I got in this discussion in a bar last night with an atheist, and I'm like, "Look, dude, think about the target audience, how do you think society would be different if the angel of the lord just started rambling about dinosaurs and explosions to begin with?"

I am pretty sure most religion is basically a very primitive attempt at science, in which crude observations of natural laws are attributed to an invisible hand. It's a lot like Libertarian economic logic.

Well, you can say the same about alchemy, and you know Isaac Newton was totally into that shit. You can't turn lead into gold, but alchemy actually makes sense if you assume they're talking about something other than, literal lead, and literal gold. I'm a bit biased, I'm actually convinced there is a God and that Jesus Christ was the Messiah...I know, it sounds crazy, maybe it IS crazy. Last night I was talking with my neighbor, and he cackled delightedtly when I was like, "What makes all this stupidity worth it is when, ok, imagine this, these good ol' boy hateful southern racist christians are going to die, get to heaven, and realize God is a black man."...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 19, 2019, 04:04:53 PM

Well, you can say the same about alchemy, and you know Isaac Newton was totally into that shit. You can't turn lead into gold, but alchemy actually makes sense if you assume they're talking about something other than, literal lead, and literal gold. I'm a bit biased, I'm actually convinced there is a God and that Jesus Christ was the Messiah...I know, it sounds crazy, maybe it IS crazy. Last night I was talking with my neighbor, and he cackled delightedtly when I was like, "What makes all this stupidity worth it is when, ok, imagine this, these good ol' boy hateful southern racist christians are going to die, get to heaven, and realize God is a black man."...

Yeah, everybody starts somewhere. It doesn't start to get weird until the state of discovery is way beyond those early starting points, but people cling to the early works and deny the later ones have validity.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 19, 2019, 04:04:53 PM

He was Jewish, not black (and that might even have a bigger impact on them)

altered

In the interest of fixing the derail I am partially responsible for:

https://apple.news/Aq_mVmz6ETVKJq5Lj0N28pQ

Some good news in the fight against anti-vaxxers.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Pergamos

Common mistake by Atheists.

The Johnny

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 18, 2019, 10:09:10 PM
Another incel loses his shit:

https://washingtonpress.com/2019/06/17/an-alt-right-incel-was-just-killed-after-rushing-a-dallas-federal-building-with-an-assault-rifle/

Like, I genuinely find it funny that the hyperlink describes him as an Incel, but isnt that kind of shitty reporting?  :lulz:

Wouldnt 4-chan'ner be a more accurate description based on the info they provided themselves?

We've discussed it already, but reporters and article writers are such fucking amateurs, its silly.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Johnny on June 20, 2019, 02:57:44 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 18, 2019, 10:09:10 PM
Another incel loses his shit:

https://washingtonpress.com/2019/06/17/an-alt-right-incel-was-just-killed-after-rushing-a-dallas-federal-building-with-an-assault-rifle/

Like, I genuinely find it funny that the hyperlink describes him as an Incel, but isnt that kind of shitty reporting?  :lulz:

Wouldnt 4-chan'ner be a more accurate description based on the info they provided themselves?

We've discussed it already, but reporters and article writers are such fucking amateurs, its silly.

This is America.  Shitty reporting is the only kind we have.
Molon Lube