News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on February 07, 2020, 05:46:09 PM
https://www.theadvocates.org/2020/01/apple-caves-in-to-fbi-demand-for-backdoor-access/

Apple caves, gives FBI tools to break encryption

THINK DIFFERENT, CITIZEN
                     \
:america:

Shocking.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

I have a sneaking suspicion that the endgame here is federal licensing for encryption and STEEP penalties for unlicensed possession and use of encryption software and other methods of the practice. Any licensed entity will have to sign a contract with the feds allowing access under VERY broad terms indeed.

"What have you got to hide if you're not doing anything wrong?"

The solitaire algorithm may be the only way to carry a hard encryption key, uh, low key so to speak.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 07, 2020, 07:51:13 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that the endgame here is federal licensing for encryption and STEEP penalties for unlicensed possession and use of encryption software and other methods of the practice. Any licensed entity will have to sign a contract with the feds allowing access under VERY broad terms indeed.

The solitaire algorithm may be the only way to carry a hard encryption key, uh, low key so to speak.

The only way to reliably have secure communications without attracting attention these days is to speak around the subject.  Which only works with people you know.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 07, 2020, 08:02:37 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 07, 2020, 07:51:13 PM

The only way to reliably have secure communications without attracting attention these days is to speak around the subject.  Which only works with people you know.

Somehow Italians tend to do this naturally with other Italians. I'm pretty good at it. It's nearly impossible to convey specific data though.

"Pauly, he ain't doing so good after that thing. He's gonna need to have a sit down real soon or he could fall  over pretty hard, capice?"
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Johnny

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 07, 2020, 06:25:33 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on February 07, 2020, 05:46:09 PM
https://www.theadvocates.org/2020/01/apple-caves-in-to-fbi-demand-for-backdoor-access/

Apple caves, gives FBI tools to break encryption

THINK DIFFERENT, CITIZEN
                     \
:america:

Shocking.

Really, its just standard "give-and-take" relationship... recently the FBI helped hunt and shut down unofficial repair shops of Iphones.

Or was it the DHS? I dont remember, but the point is that theyre so deep inside each other's pants and massaging their balls mutually and consentually.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Junkenstein

So, apparently Jordan Peterson went on an all beef diet, got a benzo addiction and went to Russia to get put into a coma for a week to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Now he can't use his legs.

I've got no source beyond "I was told this" and I'm not looking for one either because it's fucking hilarious.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Junkenstein on February 14, 2020, 03:20:16 AM
So, apparently Jordan Peterson went on an all beef diet, got a benzo addiction and went to Russia to get put into a coma for a week to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Now he can't use his legs.

I've got no source beyond "I was told this" and I'm not looking for one either because it's fucking hilarious.
This is all true, although I hadn't heard about the beef diet.

Also, his daughter said they went to Russia because doctors here 'didn't have the guts' to treat withdrawal by putting him in a coma.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

The Johnny

Usually I feel bad about making fun of stories of addiction and its consequences, but ever since I was kinda forced to see the  Zizek vs. Peterson debate, this is hilarious - fucking pseudo humanist christian neoliberal shitlord Mr. GoodyPants.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on February 14, 2020, 03:44:01 AM

Also, his daughter said they went to Russia because doctors here 'didn't have the guts' to treat withdrawal by putting him in a coma.

That and Russian doctors aren't in thrall to Big Pharma like US ones. If you have any passing knowledge of medicine in Russia, you'll know that this is hilarious.

It's also suspect as fuck.

Rich people in Russia don't get treated in Russia. They go to London, or New York or LA, or some fancy, quiet hotel in Montenegro and get the doctor flown in. And Peterson was pulling, what was it, 80k a month just in Patreon subs? Never mind speaking engagements, whatever forward and profits he got from 12 Rules and so on.

There is no way you would go to Russia to treat addiction with his kind of money. Now if you were looking to covertly feed an addiction on the other hand...

Junkenstein

I just can't stop laughing about this most elegant example of dunning kruger. Everything else just adds to the delight.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Also, 80 grand/month from paetreon? Jesus wept. My kingdom for that suckers list. Also money laundering implications about and "coma" and "loss of legs" take new possibilities.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on February 14, 2020, 04:52:51 AM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on February 14, 2020, 03:44:01 AM

That and Russian doctors aren't in thrall to Big Pharma like US ones. If you have any passing knowledge of medicine in Russia, you'll know that this is hilarious.

It's also suspect as fuck.

Rich people in Russia don't get treated in Russia. They go to London, or New York or LA, or some fancy, quiet hotel in Montenegro and get the doctor flown in. And Peterson was pulling, what was it, 80k a month just in Patreon subs? Never mind speaking engagements, whatever forward and profits he got from 12 Rules and so on.

There is no way you would go to Russia to treat addiction with his kind of money. Now if you were looking to covertly feed an addiction on the other hand...

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/benzodiazepine/overdose

Side effects of benzo overdose

Weakness, lack of coordination (neurological damage, may be permanent)

Hypotonia (muscle degeneration)

Coma

Possibly Death, but usually actual death is from other drugs like opiates respiratory suppression in a much weaker system thanks to the benzos hypotonia for example.

My bet is massive overdose resulted in prolonged coma and neurological damage and muscle deterioration making him unable to walk.

It's the only explanation other than badly tainted anesthesia that he would come out of a relatively short term coma unable to walk.

Jordan Petersen is fallen far from the light, and he can't get up.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

I should feel bad for saying so, but I hope this gets worse for him. I hope his fans turn on him now that he is weak and powerless, and I hope he becomes a cautionary tale to scare off teenagers from becoming fascists. I hope he is mocked and derided till his dying day. I hope someone Dremels a penis onto his headstone. I hope someone Dremels a penis onto his head, actually.

I should feel bad, but instead I feel delight.

If I am a bad person for this, then I do not want to be good.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

From what I've heard from both doctors and drug-taking friends, benzo addictions are fucking horrible. Like, the best case scenario is that he's already got a severely reduced lifespan as a result of the addiction.

But then you remember he had to know it was pretty bad, months and months before now. He'd have to be preaching self-discipline and tidying your room and literally blacking out, at this level of dependency. There's no way he couldn't have known just what a massive hypocrite he was being.

The Johnny

Wikipedia states that Peterson has been on rehab since September 2019... I dont understand why this wasnt news before???

Like literally I heard about this thing yesterday in here, and like 2 days ago in facebook but i thought it was an onion article.

-B.F. Skinner