News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Doktor Howl

My faith in the future has been restored.   :lol:
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

https://apnews.com/74960a2c6af8b96a35df5afe35f9f84b

QuoteEU court cancels US data-sharing pact over snooping concerns
Molon Lube

altered

"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Johnny

Quote from: altered on July 19, 2020, 07:14:35 AM
https://twitter.com/bigots_owned/status/1284618342490415104?s=21

:lulz: :lulz:

There's a whole side story to it, where the person that drove him to the hospital, was a 17 year old with whom he was sharing a hotel room with.

EDIT: makes you wonder why he "threw out his back" btw
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

altered

Yeah I saw that side story shit. There is no way this ends without hilarity all around
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cramulus

Twitter is purging QAnon

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/twitter-bans-7-000-qanon-accounts-limits-150-000-others-n1234541

I'm happy about this, I think it's a good development for giant social media companies to take some responsibility for the medium

I also anticipate the point that "it's gone too far" and you are not allowed to discuss topics which may threaten the 1%

but I guess we cross that bridge later

The Johnny

Quote from: Cramulus on July 22, 2020, 01:52:20 PM
Twitter is purging QAnon

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/twitter-bans-7-000-qanon-accounts-limits-150-000-others-n1234541

I'm happy about this, I think it's a good development for giant social media companies to take some responsibility for the medium

I also anticipate the point that "it's gone too far" and you are not allowed to discuss topics which may threaten the 1%

but I guess we cross that bridge later

This is like an-eye-for-an-eye for ruining Tumblr... but i think we all know this is one step towards draconian rule of the internet.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

I mean...Twitter has been impressing me lately with it's somewhat more socially conscious decision making, but Twitter was hardly the main avenue of Qanon thought anyway. That has been, and always will be, Facebook and Youtube, who have done precisely nothing to stop Qanon accounts from proliferating despite the links between the movement and right wing extremist violence.

As for free speech on the internet...that was dead the moment a few media giants concentrated most of their power on it. Breaking up virtual monopolies like Amazon, Facebook and Google will go a long way to improving overall free speech prospects on the internet, not that I consider Qanon, in and of itself, a free speech issue.

Cramulus

This is gonna be FUN!

New York Attorney General Moves To Dissolve The NRA After Fraud Investigation
https://www.npr.org/2020/08/06/899712823/new-york-attorney-general-moves-to-dissolve-the-nra-after-fraud-investigation

QuoteAttorney General Letitia James claims in a lawsuit filed Thursday that she found financial misconduct in the millions of dollars, and that it contributed to a loss of more than $64 million over a three year period.

The suit alleges that top NRA executives misused charitable funds for personal gain, awarded contracts to friends and family members, and provided contracts to former employees to ensure loyalty.

Seeking to dissolve the NRA is the most aggressive sanction James could have sought against the not-for-profit organization, which James has jurisdiction over because it is registered in New York. James has a wide range of authorities relating to nonprofits in the state, including the authority to force organizations to cease operations or dissolve. The NRA is all but certain to contest it.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Cramulus on August 06, 2020, 05:03:14 PM
This is gonna be FUN!

New York Attorney General Moves To Dissolve The NRA After Fraud Investigation
:spittake:
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

altered

:lulz:

OH MY GOD.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

2020 is a fucking mess, but some of it is good BEYOND being funny.

Cain

The NRA going down could have a massive impact. The way in which they were able to dominate political conversations about gun control, let alone their malign influence on fundraising, are both gone. In particular, Trump can't rely on them to throw him money for his campaign

LMNO

Elder Iptuous

If the NRA disappears, I would think that the money will simply flow into a different organization, such as GOA, giving them the dominant voice in the conversation.
And they (GOA) seem to take a more hardline approach to gun control than the NRA, for example, opposing the NFA.