News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

http://ha.ckers.org/blog/20070912/facebook-says-you-should-not-expect-privacy/

Facebook Says You Should Not Expect Privacy

If there are any people left who think social networking is a safe place to enter your information I think this is a pretty telling story. Times Online has an interesting article on the latest move by Facebook regarding information that previously was inaccessible to search engines. Guess what? They’re going to make it publically accessible. It’s like people never learn (remind anyone of the AOL search query fun?). (more)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Payne

Payne

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article2461339.ece

Dunno if any of you are rally fans or not, but this guy was one of my idols, when I was younger.

LMNO

Anyone who thinks they are safe anywhere on the internet isn't paying attention.

Because Rule 34 is coming.*

FOR YUO.

*Yes, I know.

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Payne

Quote from: Whut?
Proposals to ban saggy pants are starting to ride up in several places. At the extreme end, wearing pants low enough to show boxers or bare buttocks in one small Louisiana town means six months in jail and a $500 fine. A crackdown also is being pushed in Atlanta. And in Trenton, getting caught with your pants down may soon result in not only a fine, but a city worker assessing where your life is headed.

Holy shit!

The world is getting weirder and weirder.

AFK

Quote from: Whut?
Proposals to ban saggy pants are starting to ride up in several places. At the extreme end, wearing pants low enough to show boxers or bare buttocks in one small Louisiana town means six months in jail and a $500 fine. A crackdown also is being pushed in Atlanta. And in Trenton, getting caught with your pants down may soon result in not only a fine, but a city worker assessing where your life is headed.

Heh, I like the author's style.   :D
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Payne

I missed that. Trust YOU to spot it.

Cramulus

Radio Frequencies Help Burn Salt Water

QuoteERIE, Pa. - An Erie cancer researcher has found a way to burn salt water, a novel invention that is being touted by one chemist as the "most remarkable" water science discovery in a century.

John Kanzius happened upon the discovery accidentally when he tried to desalinate seawater with a radio-frequency generator he developed to treat cancer. He discovered that as long as the salt water was exposed to the radio frequencies, it would burn.

The discovery has scientists excited by the prospect of using salt water, the most abundant resource on earth, as a fuel.

Rustum Roy, a Penn State University chemist, has held demonstrations at his State College lab to confirm his own observations.

The radio frequencies act to weaken the bonds between the elements that make up salt water, releasing the hydrogen, Roy said. Once ignited, the hydrogen will burn as long as it is exposed to the frequencies, he said.

The discovery is "the most remarkable in water science in 100 years," Roy said.

"This is the most abundant element in the world. It is everywhere," Roy said. "Seeing it burn gives me the chills."

Roy will meet this week with officials from the Department of Energy and the Department of Defense to try to obtain research funding.

The scientists want to find out whether the energy output from the burning hydrogen — which reached a heat of more than 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit — would be enough to power a car or other heavy machinery.

"We will get our ideas together and check this out and see where it leads," Roy said. "The potential is huge."

...well this is potentially really cool...

I want to see a video though.

LMNO

I notice if it doesn't say how much more energy it takes to create the hydrogen than it produces when burnt.

Cramulus

very good question. But note they're not making hydrogen, they're making radio waves.

LMNO

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on September 19, 2007, 07:15:41 PM
Radio Frequencies Help Burn Salt Water

QuoteERIE, Pa. - An Erie cancer researcher has found a way to burn salt water, a novel invention that is being touted by one chemist as the "most remarkable" water science discovery in a century.

John Kanzius happened upon the discovery accidentally when he tried to desalinate seawater with a radio-frequency generator he developed to treat cancer. He discovered that as long as the salt water was exposed to the radio frequencies, it would burn.

The discovery has scientists excited by the prospect of using salt water, the most abundant resource on earth, as a fuel.

Rustum Roy, a Penn State University chemist, has held demonstrations at his State College lab to confirm his own observations.

The radio frequencies act to weaken the bonds between the elements that make up salt water, releasing the hydrogen, Roy said. Once ignited, the hydrogen will burn as long as it is exposed to the frequencies, he said.

The discovery is "the most remarkable in water science in 100 years," Roy said.

"This is the most abundant element in the world. It is everywhere," Roy said. "Seeing it burn gives me the chills."

Roy will meet this week with officials from the Department of Energy and the Department of Defense to try to obtain research funding.

The scientists want to find out whether the energy output from the burning hydrogen — which reached a heat of more than 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit — would be enough to power a car or other heavy machinery.

"We will get our ideas together and check this out and see where it leads," Roy said. "The potential is huge."

...well this is potentially really cool...

I want to see a video though.

Just in case you missed that.

How much energy is used to release the hydrogen, is my question.

AFK

Welcome to Davy Jones' Sauna.

Cramulus

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 19, 2007, 07:34:13 PM
Welcome to Davy Jones' Sauna.

I just had lunch with a guy named Davy Jones.

True story.

AFK

Is he a Daydream believer and/or a homecoming king?