News:

Licenced Jenkem provider since 2007

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Now he's dead I no longer have to feel bad about downloading his books.

In fact, I have never read his books, but I know a few people here liked him as an author, so I shall try and read some tonight.

Payne

I am reading the Wheel of Time, myself. Largely because I quite liked the first 3-4 books. After that, It's just taking SOOOOO long to complete. I take it his wife will complete the rest of the series?

Robert Jordan: Long winded (at least when he had wind in his lungs, no longer true, obviously.)

Richter

I just started on "Eye of the World", courtesy of D-Cup.
We'll see if they write up the last one, they say he left extensive notes.

Also: Dead Mummified Baby.
http://www.wmur.com/news/14157668/detail.html
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Payne

Quote from: Richter on September 20, 2007, 08:40:05 PM
I just started on "Eye of the World", courtesy of D-Cup.
We'll see if they write up the last one, they say he left extensive notes.

Also: Dead Mummified Baby.
http://www.wmur.com/news/14157668/detail.html

I read a while back that he'd told his wife how he wanted it all to end.

Of course he could have avoided this all by finishing it on book ten like he said he was going to.

Instead of writing hefty tomes that actually only cover one day of action, but with 500 characters different plot lines.

Silly fucker.

Cain

Sounds like another Tolkein style hackjob is in the works then.

Cain,
knows how well THAT all ended up.

Payne

:sad:

I'm not all that worried about it, though. I got impatient with the wheel of time when book 10 came out, and it barely advanced the overall plot at all.

I'll read whatever they throw out to finish the series, but I won't be TOO hacked off if it's shit.

Cramulus

At the behest of my friends, some of whom are fanatic Robert Jordan fans, I read Eye of the World. I didn't really like it.

I might have liked it if he resolved at least 30% of the plot threads he started.
I might have liked it if any of the female characters in the book weren't sooo irritating.

I do appreciate that Jordan was making a push to write non-Tolkien fantasy. (ie no Elves, Dwarves, & Orcs)

I think Jordan was really good at writing characters,
but I didn't think his storytelling had good "flow".

Richter

As long as it stays true to the original style and depth.  Though I'll be interested to see how the fan community as a whole recieves it.  
(Hope this isn't another debacle of the "Dune"  or "Highlander" series' magnitude.)

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Payne

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on September 20, 2007, 09:02:42 PM
At the behest of my friends, some of whom are fanatic Robert Jordan fans, I read Eye of the World. I didn't really like it.

I might have liked it if he resolved at least 30% of the plot threads he started.
I might have liked it if any of the female characters in the book weren't sooo irritating.

I do appreciate that Jordan was making a push to write non-Tolkien fantasy. (ie no Elves, Dwarves, & Orcs)

I think Jordan was really good at writing characters,
but I didn't think his storytelling had good "flow".

I really liked it up until the third book. It's gone downhill since then.

TOO much detail.

Not enough serious kicking ass.

Rand is too emo. I want him to get out there and REALLY burn some shit down. Not memorise the face of every single woman who has died because of him.

Nomad

Being one of those serious fanatics of the books, I'm really sad he died.  You're all right though... he should have finished it a long time ago.  I think the reason he's so long winded and spread out is that he's trying to cover all of the bases.

Action
Detail
Politics
Detail
Romance
Detail
Intrigue
Detail
Mystery
Detail

One of my friends read all the books and just left out the descriptions of hallways and rooms.  He liked it a LOT more then, because it cut out all the shit that you don't really need.  I personally liked the detail, because hidden in every description are hints about the cultures he's describing.  From a sociological point of view, the man's a genius.  The ways in which all the characters interact I find to be very true to life.  It's like a fantasy soap opera, but more accurate than telemundo.

Favorite parts of the later books are the interactions between Matt and Tuon... but those of you who read my posts already know that I'm a sap.

I think what also helped is that I started reading them when I was very young, puts more fervor into it for me.

-Nomad Ttam
booyashaka

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

AFK

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=81524

Man dies "crowd surfing" at a Smashing Pumpkins concert.  What a mediocre way to go. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=paUniverse_sun14_parallel_universes&show_article=1&cat=0

Looks like the Everett-Wheeler hypothesis may have some life left in it yet.  Multiple Universes, for those who don't know what I'm talking about.

LMNO, care to comment?

LMNO

1.  The entire article goes completely off the rails starting about paragraph 7 or so.

2.  Good to see they have some math that seems to be consistent.  Needz moar peer-review, kthnx.

3.  FUCK YOU, LORD BABY JESUS MADE ONE, AND ONLY ONE UNIVERSE.