News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Random News Stories

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 29, 2006, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: triple zero on March 01, 2008, 01:52:01 PM
the funny thing is, if you were to post these links over the course of a week or two, i might have actually clicked most of them. now i'm not going to look at any.

That's too bad, there's some pretty wacky shit in there. Your loss.

lol, wacky

Also: http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/2008/02/29/africa/OUKWD-UK-PALESTINIANS-ISRAEL.php

Cain

IHT are being purposefully disingenous.  An Israeli minister in the aftermath of the Lebanon/Hezbollah spat in 2006 threatened mass devastation on Gaza as well, should Israel have to fight a two front war.  Its not just an off-hand comment, but a threat of policy.

I also love the bit about the kid.  Sounds like the reasoning of the US military when they dropped a bomb on Zaqarwi and killed a 5 year old girl at the same time.  Actually, it sounds kinda like the reasoning the IRA used to use, when their publicity went bad after a bombing.  "Well clearly its the people who got caught up in it's fault.  We certainly have no moral responsibility, we only dropped a bomb/failed to send coded warnings to the police/are legitimately resisting the British occupation.  Sucks to be the kid."

The thing is, any policy of mass retaliation is just going to put the Palestinians in the Hamas camp anyway.  AFAIK, Fatah lost the civil war badly, despite some neat toys from the USA making their way to their hands as part of an aid package, but managed to disillusion most of the population about how bad Hamas really is, even when compared to their levels of corruption and thuggery.  Sending the tanks rolling in and raiding the refugee camps etc is only going to put people mentally on the defensive, and cause them to side with Hamas, seeing as they have most of the Palestinian firepower in Gaza.

Cramulus

:news:

QuoteThe real cause of climate changes, volcanoes activity, intensification of the seismic activity etc., is the planet Eris's getting closer to our solar system, intermediary named 2003-UB-313 and known in Antiquity under various names as: Nibiru, Marduk, Nemesis, Hercolubus, The Gods Planet, the Planet of the Empire, the Planet of the Cross, the Red Planet.

from http://beyondouterspace.blogspot.com/2007/07/planet-eris-and-global-warming.html

Cain

Quote from: Professor Cramulus on March 05, 2008, 12:07:41 AM
:news:

QuoteThe real cause of climate changes, volcanoes activity, intensification of the seismic activity etc., is the planet Eris's getting closer to our solar system, intermediary named 2003-UB-313 and known in Antiquity under various names as: Nibiru, Marduk, Nemesis, Hercolubus, The Gods Planet, the Planet of the Empire, the Planet of the Cross, the Red Planet.

from http://beyondouterspace.blogspot.com/2007/07/planet-eris-and-global-warming.html

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/blog/cain/eris-is-going-to-pwn-the-solar-system/

8)

Thurnez Isa

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/080305/odds/odd_election_cemetery_dc

Cemetery full, mayor tells locals not to die

BORDEAUX, France (Reuters) - The mayor of a village in southwest France has threatened residents with severe punishment if they die, because there is no room left in the overcrowded cemetery to bury them.ADVERTISEMENT

In an ordinance posted in the council offices, Mayor Gerard Lalanne told the 260 residents of the village of Sarpourenx that "all persons not having a plot in the cemetery and wishing to be buried in Sarpourenx are forbidden from dying in the parish."

It added: "Offenders will be severely punished."

The mayor said he was forced to take drastic action after an administrative court in the nearby town of Pau ruled in January that the acquisition of adjoining private land to extend the cemetery would not be justified.

Lalanne, who celebrated his 70th birthday on Wednesday and is standing for election to a seventh term in this month's local elections, said he was sorry that there had not been a positive outcome to the dilemma.

"It may be a laughing matter for some, but not for me," he said.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

AFK

I bet people are just dying to re-elect him.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

This is pretty fucked up right here:

Prescription drugs found in drinking water across U.S.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/03/10/pharma.water1.ap/?iref=hpmostpop

Quote(AP) -- A vast array of pharmaceuticals -- including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones -- have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows.

To be sure, the concentrations of these pharmaceuticals are tiny, measured in quantities of parts per billion or trillion, far below the levels of a medical dose. Also, utilities insist their water is safe.

But the presence of so many prescription drugs -- and over-the-counter medicines like acetaminophen and ibuprofen -- in so much of our drinking water is heightening worries among scientists of long-term consequences to human health.

In the course of a five-month inquiry, the AP discovered that drugs have been detected in the drinking water supplies of 24 major metropolitan areas -- from Southern California to Northern New Jersey, from Detroit, Michigan, to Louisville, Kentucky.

Thurnez Isa

YAH NEW SINS

http://green.yahoo.com/news/nm/20080310/hl_nm/pope_sins_dc.html

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Thou shall not pollute the Earth. Thou shall beware genetic manipulation. Modern times bring with them modern sins. So the Vatican has told the faithful that they should be aware of "new" sins such as causing environmental blight.

The guidance came at the weekend when Archbishop Gianfranco Girotti, the Vatican's number two man in the sometimes murky area of sins and penance, spoke of modern evils.

Asked what he believed were today's "new sins," he told the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano that the greatest danger zone for the modern soul was the largely uncharted world of bioethics.

"(Within bioethics) there are areas where we absolutely must denounce some violations of the fundamental rights of human nature through experiments and genetic manipulation whose outcome is difficult to predict and control," he said.

The Vatican opposes stem cell research that involves destruction of embryos and has warned against the prospect of human cloning.

Girotti, in an interview headlined "New Forms of Social Sin," also listed "ecological" offences as modern evils.

In recent months, Pope Benedict has made several strong appeals for the protection of the environment, saying issues such as climate change had become gravely important for the entire human race.

Under Benedict and his predecessor John Paul, the Vatican has become progressively "green."

It has installed photovoltaic cells on buildings to produce electricity and hosted a scientific conference to discuss the ramifications of global warming and climate change, widely blamed on human use of fossil fuels.

Girotti, who is number two in the Vatican "Apostolic Penitentiary," which deals with matter of conscience, also listed drug trafficking and social and economic injustices as modern sins.

But Girotti also bemoaned that fewer and fewer Catholics go to confession at all.

He pointed to a study by Milan's Catholic University that showed that up to 60 percent of Catholic faithful in Italy stopped going to confession.

In the sacrament of Penance, Catholics confess their sins to a priest who absolves them in God's name.

But the same study by the Catholic University showed that 30 percent of Italian Catholics believed that there was no need for a priest to be God's intermediary and 20 percent felt uncomfortable talking about their sins to another person.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.

Dante

guest7654

edit* disregard, repost.

Drugs found in drinking water across U.S.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/03/10/pharma.water1.ap/index.html

At first I thought, "Hey, free drugs!"
Then I thought, "zomg! conspiracy!"
So I had to look...come to find out, we are drinking our bodily waste and it turns out it isn't purified near as much as we would like to think.

This reminds me, flouride in our drinking water??  OK, I know, but flouride in baby water from Wal-Mart???  By the time they have teeth, aren't they ready for tap water???  And what about the over-usage of question marks in this post?????

Thurnez Isa

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/080325/world/britain_internet_health

LONDON (AFP) - An online game that encourages prepubescent girls to contemplate breast enlargement surgery and extreme crash diets to achieve a 'perfect figure' has been criticised by worried parent groups and health experts.

The 'Miss Bimbo' game is aimed at girls aged 9 to 16 and has attracted 200,000 members since opening its British site in February. The website sparked controversy when it was introduced in France, where it attracted 1.2 million players.

The young girls are encouraged to monitor the weight, wardrobe, wealth and happiness of their virtual character to create "the coolest, richest and most famous bimbo in the world." The girls compete to earn "bimbo dollars" which can use to buy larger breasts, diet pills, nip-and-tuck surgery, sexy lingerie and nightclub outfits.

Healthcare professionals have warned that website encourages anorexia and bulimia by advising the girls to remain "waif thin".

"A lot of children will get caught up with the extremely damaging and appalling messages." Dee Dawson -- the medical director of the Rhodes Farm Clinic, which treats girls who suffer eating disorders -- told The Times.

The Parentkind group also condemned the site and warned that "Childrens innocence should be protected as far as possible "

A spokesman for the parents' group added: "It depends on the mindset of the child but the danger is that after playing the game , some will then aspire to have breast operations and take diet pills.

The Miss Bimbo site was created by French entrepreneur Nicholas Jacquart, who has moved to South London to promote the website in Britain.

www.missbimbo.com

:lol:

Dante

AFK

Quote from: rzasthole on March 11, 2008, 04:29:03 AM
edit* disregard, repost.

Drugs found in drinking water across U.S.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/03/10/pharma.water1.ap/index.html

At first I thought, "Hey, free drugs!"
Then I thought, "zomg! conspiracy!"
So I had to look...come to find out, we are drinking our bodily waste and it turns out it isn't purified near as much as we would like to think.

This reminds me, flouride in our drinking water??  OK, I know, but flouride in baby water from Wal-Mart???  By the time they have teeth, aren't they ready for tap water???  And what about the over-usage of question marks in this post?????

I'm really surprised that this article missed a huge source for this.  Excess/expired medications being flushed.  It is actually a recommendation by the federal government.  While they do explicity mention that only medications that indicate they are safe to be flushed, should be flushed, many will just assume if one medication can be flushed, so can others. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cain

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on March 26, 2008, 01:45:49 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/080325/world/britain_internet_health

LONDON (AFP) - An online game that encourages prepubescent girls to contemplate breast enlargement surgery and extreme crash diets to achieve a 'perfect figure' has been criticised by worried parent groups and health experts.

The 'Miss Bimbo' game is aimed at girls aged 9 to 16 and has attracted 200,000 members since opening its British site in February. The website sparked controversy when it was introduced in France, where it attracted 1.2 million players.

The young girls are encouraged to monitor the weight, wardrobe, wealth and happiness of their virtual character to create "the coolest, richest and most famous bimbo in the world." The girls compete to earn "bimbo dollars" which can use to buy larger breasts, diet pills, nip-and-tuck surgery, sexy lingerie and nightclub outfits.

Healthcare professionals have warned that website encourages anorexia and bulimia by advising the girls to remain "waif thin".

"A lot of children will get caught up with the extremely damaging and appalling messages." Dee Dawson -- the medical director of the Rhodes Farm Clinic, which treats girls who suffer eating disorders -- told The Times.

The Parentkind group also condemned the site and warned that "Childrens innocence should be protected as far as possible "

A spokesman for the parents' group added: "It depends on the mindset of the child but the danger is that after playing the game , some will then aspire to have breast operations and take diet pills.

The Miss Bimbo site was created by French entrepreneur Nicholas Jacquart, who has moved to South London to promote the website in Britain.

www.missbimbo.com

BUT TRASHY CELEBRITY MAGAZINES WHICH PROMOTE THE SAME THINGS ARE FINE, SO LONG AS THEY PAY THEIR TAXES ON TIME!

Goddamn I hate the hypocrisy.

LMNO

You would think that the fact that "bimbo" is plastered all over the site would have provided a clue...

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: LMNO on March 26, 2008, 02:44:22 PM
You would think that the fact that "bimbo" is plastered all over the site would have provided a clue...

young girls seem to be using that word to describe themselves for some reason
from what im hearing from some of my students

Dante