News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Topical

Started by Cramulus, March 01, 2007, 03:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Can I make a topic / project suggestion?

I've been quietly observing the reactions of people who pick up the various pamphlets and whatnot that I've left lying around, and their reactions are usually pretty brief. Most of the time, they look at it, flip through it, maybe read a paragraph or two, then put it back down. I think this is symptomatic of these texts being somewhat inaccessible to random strangers, and the generally short attention span of people in transit. There are people, sure, who will pick up the BIP pamphlet (for example) and it'll fry their brains (in a good way). But those people, I think, are already trying to wake up.

I'd love to hand out something with a very broad audience. Something that even fingerlicking mouthbreathers can appreciate, even if they just skim it and leave it on the seat when they leave.

Here's what I think this imaginary pamphlet would look like:

-the cover would be a graphic, with maybe a question that entices strangers to pick it up. Then, it rewards them for picking it up by saying something like "most people didn't pick this thing up, but you did. Good for you, you're more awake than them!"
-the pamphlets starts off very fluffy - mostly jokes and crap at the beginning. This sort of hooks them in and lowers their defenses.
-after sufficient buildup, it would climax with a rant or sermon which sums up the whole point
-like the Principia, there'd be lots of jokes and graphics and whatnot which make it visually and comically appealing, and ensures that its interesting even if the reader isn't into thinking about thought or whatnot.

overall,
-the text wouldn't be too dense or too cumbersome. The whole thing would be like four pages or less. This is sort of a single-serving sermon. A sample, not The Big Picture.

also: I think there should be some sort of rhyming meme in there which will get stuck in your head.

I'm not sure if something like this has already been discussed or perhaps I'm beating a dead horse. What do you folks think?

LMNO

I think you should go ahead and write it.

LMNO
-not terribly funny out of context.

Cramulus

yeah, it's reeeealy hard to be funny on cue. In the last 40 minutes I've typed up a draft of what I'd like to say in this pamphlet, but it could definitely use more humor / lightness. I think some bizarre graphics and one-liners would help.

I wanted to post it in the Or Kill Me forum instead of here, so I did. So here's the link:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=11767.0

it's a start

Mangrove

i think 4 pages is 3 pages too long.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

LMNO

one 8.5x11 page folded in half would be better (5.5x8.5)

Jasper

Short, punchy, and sweet wins this race.

Find someone whose remarkable talent for composition and a delicate felicity of expression underpin an alluring sense of gregarious irony.

Don't anybody look at me.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Mangrove on March 01, 2007, 07:08:29 PMi think 4 pages is 3 pages too long.

nah not if the front is an image and the next page is a real inviting easy-reading thing that'll just tickle a littlebit.
you also don't want to set the bar too low--if they still aren't interested after this tickly, they're probably better suited as unsuspecting O:MF-fodder than trying to poke in their minds with pamphlets and texts.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.