News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

Leather

Started by Spork, June 27, 2009, 05:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spork

Inspired by my new friends, motivated by sticker shock, and encouraged by Suu and others to post the results of my work, I offer this short description of my latest craftwork.

I love toys and games and I have quite a collection already.  But my overdeveloped DIY (in)sensibilities wouldn't permit me to pay $30 to $40 or more for a nice leather mask.  So I began a search for the ingredients to make my own.  This is the result of my second attempt.  The first one was kind of pretty, but more for decoration and function.

I started by scanning for some nice leather to work with in my regular trips to the thrift stores in the area.  I settled on these boots, which I got for $6.  I can't wear a size 8, and don't know anyone who can, so I had no aversion to putting them under the knife.

Here's what I started with:

The boot.  And the toes.  I notice my floor resembles Suu's and that we both shoot there for the light and the room.

There is a seam right across the top of the boot, a perfect template for cutting, which I did.  By the way, the boots are still perfectly functional, just a lot shorter.  They would need to have the tops finished and stops put on the zippers, but otherwise fine.

The other boot, after harvesting the soft wide upper.

I then freehanded half of the design with a pair of scissors, folded it in half and followed it along to make the halves identical.  This is what remained after cutting out the mask:

The remains of the upper after harvesting the pattern of the mask.  There's enough left for another one, but it will have a seam across the center, which could be interesting.

Now I have the two layers completely cut out.  I wanted something fanciful, and this is my first approximation.  Perhaps there will be other designs to come from the remaining material.
Back to the sewing machine, before sewing the two layers together (and before engaging macro mode, sorry). The boot upper was leather and leather lined.  I just cut through both layers.

The goal was to make a little pillow so that it would conform to the wearer's face and more securely seal out the light.  To do that I first needed to make a pouch of it.  I left the sitching exposed on this one because there is no way I could ever turn this one inside out.  I will try that for the next one though if it has a simpler outline.
Sewed and macroed.

These decorative points look nice, but they were very difficult to sew.  My very basic machine doesn't have a secondary throttle control and what I wound up doing was barely engaging the power at all and then practically hand sewing it with the handwheel as I tiptoed around these corners.  It turned out "ok".  Since the wearer will be blind anyhow, I'm not that concerned  :evil:
Detail of simple stitching.  I had originally hoped to put a finished edge over the edges, like a ribbon.  I failed miserably.  The complicated edge was tough enough to sew plainly, never mind trying to manhandle another two layers of satin ribbon.

Pillow stuffing, bra padding, fish tank filter media.  Marvelous stuff.  I buy it in bulk at the pet shop.

Polyester batting, for padding the mask.  This makes it more comfortable, and more effectively seals the mask to the face.

One stuffed mask!
I left a small opening in the seam, then stuffed bits of batting into the mask.  I used a long pointy tool (a scalpel handle, to be precise) to push the batting into the tips as far as possible.  I made several test fittings as I went, and when it was comfortably full (not too full), I sewed the last inch shut.

The finished product and my amateur model.  It's really comfy and effective. I can't wait to give it away!

I added an elastic strap and a smile.

Richter

Skillfully done, and clever scrounging!  (Thank for keeping DIY looking respectable)

No eyeholes, so I'm guessing its for "play" / sleeping? 

I see quite a few folks use masks like that LARP'ing, I'lllikely be using this for reference if I ever need one for character or NPC'ing.

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Excellent! A sleep mask?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Spork

Thank you both.  I am an inveterate scrounging packrat.  I think I watched a little too much Monty Hall's "Let's Make a Deal" as a youngster.

I did sleep in it the other night, and it was comfortable and effective.  Bonus!  I had play in mind when I made it so, if sleep is the result, I'll need to adjust waaay up or waaay down.  The next one will have eyeholes, just to see if I can do it.  I don't think I'll make the outline the same way, but I would like to make it inside out and then invert it.  I'm kind of struggling with how I'll do that with the eyeholes.  I get a cramp in my brain trying to visualize how to do it in one turn.  Or even more turns.  I'm open to suggestions.

Jenne

I've done masks before (not in leather, though), and you just have to mark it out and put the machine needle on it.  I suggest crayon or chalk to mark the holes and just sew very slowly.  The padding will get in the way, of course, so you could always do it by hand if you're thinking the needles will break on the machine.
ETA:  very very cool, btw.

Xebra

Nothing can fear you now. Nice job.