News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

Kopyleft Authors

Started by Cain, March 05, 2007, 09:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I retain all copyrights to my work but I will most likely give permission for it to be used in almost any circumstances, with proper attribution.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Requia ☣

Anything of mine is kopyleft (regardless of where it's posted) unless otherwise noted with the conditions that:

You may either charge for distribution or make a profit, but not both.

I am not liable for anything, period.

Edit, you must use the same terms for redistrobution, cause I got in a flame war with a BSD supporter.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Gundam Agriculture

Hey! Copy my stuff, distribute it, remix it, and/or tell people it's ancient wisdom from your Martian grandma.  Or not.  Damned if I care, but it's all in the pub(l)ic domain.
"The Agriculture Ministry is not in charge of Gundam."
- ministry official Tsutomu Shimomura

Verbal Mike

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on March 05, 2007, 09:47:21 PM
Use anything I've written, in whole or in part, in or out of context. Credit me if you like. Claim it was you who said it if that's what floats your boat.
Same for my stuff. I like getting credit, but do as ye will.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

bones

isn't kopyleft supposed to be "all rights reversed"? what's all this "i'm (k), but you gotta credit me" milarky?

no i kid, it's fair.

but does normal copyright even apply to shit posted in web forums? i'm inclined to feel free to steal ideas from anywhere myself, and if i remember (unlikely) who gave me the idea i will merely thank them. i'd generally rather come up with my own ideas, but i am quite a lazy bastard, so no guarantees.

so, if i steal stuff for (and only for) assignments, crediting previous authors might make my markers think that i haven't written it all myself, which I think tends to be bad, even if what i stole is free domain. They'd probably find out anyway i guess, and i'd fail, but do YOU mind if I copy for mere marks and don't publicize?

Must I even ask if you'll never know?

Oh yeah.. forget i said anything.

point: If I ever get off my arse and post something, it's (k) too. thank or credit bones if you have no reason not to, and you're feeling nice, and if it wont incriminate me, whether or not you used my stuff.
filmmusic

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on April 17, 2007, 01:47:13 PM
Question:

I know most of you have said, "feel free to use my stuff, just give me credit."

But what I want to do is alter your stuff, so it will merge into other people's stuff.

Who has problems with me editing, mangling, and generally fucking up their original work?

I tMy stuff is no longer for reproduction.  Apparently Kopyleft is completely different than my previous understanding.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: bones on August 13, 2008, 02:11:52 AM
isn't kopyleft supposed to be "all rights reversed"? what's all this "i'm (k), but you gotta credit me" milarky?

no i kid, it's fair.

but does normal copyright even apply to shit posted in web forums? i'm inclined to feel free to steal ideas from anywhere myself, and if i remember (unlikely) who gave me the idea i will merely thank them. i'd generally rather come up with my own ideas, but i am quite a lazy bastard, so no guarantees.

so, if i steal stuff for (and only for) assignments, crediting previous authors might make my markers think that i haven't written it all myself, which I think tends to be bad, even if what i stole is free domain. They'd probably find out anyway i guess, and i'd fail, but do YOU mind if I copy for mere marks and don't publicize?

Must I even ask if you'll never know?

Oh yeah.. forget i said anything.

point: If I ever get off my arse and post something, it's (k) too. thank or credit bones if you have no reason not to, and you're feeling nice, and if it wont incriminate me, whether or not you used my stuff.

My understanding of kopyleft is that people can feel free to reproduce it in its original form with appropriate publication credit as long as they're not making a profit. Your understanding of stuff posted on forums is actually the exact opposite of reality; anything published on the web is automatically copyrighted to the author, and its existence on the web with a time and date stamp actually could serve as proof that it belongs to them if they decided to sue your plagiarizing ass.

Plagiarism is bullshit and not very nice at all, and IMO plagiarists are scum. If you can't come up with your own thoughts at least have the courtesy not to claim other people's as your own. Also, quoting or citing people in your school papers is completely acceptable academically, but if you're really weak/lazy enough to plagiarize from the web, be prepared to fail, because a lot of the professors I know have taken to googling portions of student papers to make sure they're original.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: bones on August 13, 2008, 02:11:52 AM
but does normal copyright even apply to shit posted in web forums?

"normal" copyright, as opposed to what? :)

law is the same on the internet as it is everywhere :)

Quotei'm inclined to feel free to steal ideas from anywhere myself, and if i remember (unlikely) who gave me the idea i will merely thank them. i'd generally rather come up with my own ideas, but i am quite a lazy bastard, so no guarantees.

unless explicitly stated otherwise,
a work is automatically copyrighted when it is a novel idea and manifested in a non-volatile medium (like a web-forum, as opposed to your head). no need to even say (c).

having copyright to something means the exclusive right to:
- copy the work
- publish the work

that's pretty much it. no more no less.

everything else is just fancy sparkles.

after creating the work, you can add a license to it, pretty much changing anything pertaining to the copyright by stating "i release this work into the public domain" or "this work is released under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 license"

Quoteso, if i steal stuff for (and only for) assignments, crediting previous authors might make my markers think that i haven't written it all myself, which I think tends to be bad, even if what i stole is free domain. They'd probably find out anyway i guess, and i'd fail, but do YOU mind if I copy for mere marks and don't publicize?

if you think you have the right to do so, it's not stealing, IMO.

but you probably don't have the right to do so.

the term you're thinking of is "public domain" by the way.

there is another right called "makers right" (or something, at least in the netherlands) btw, which means you cannot claim you made the work if you didn't do so. this is an untransferable right, and yes, it also pertains to ghostwriters (except they're of course free to keep their mouths shut about it).

Quotepoint: If I ever get off my arse and post something, it's (k) too. thank or credit bones if you have no reason not to, and you're feeling nice, and if it wont incriminate me, whether or not you used my stuff.

cool :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Creative Commons is pretty much the direct outcome of Kopyleft, the Open Source movement et al.  Its a nifty system, and I like it.

Also, this reminds me, I must finish The Pirate's Dilemma and get on with my essays on copyright, intellectual property etc.

bones

thanks for the info guys

i was talking more about creative writing than essays. even still, my creative writing tutor doesn't care if ideas are stolen, just as long as you write your own piece. he's always warning us to be careful what we give away in class, cuz writers (even he) will steal ideas without a second thought.

was also gonna ask if meme bombs are assumed kopyleft, but i just did an essay on (Australian) copyright and found slogans cannot be copyrighted, and can only be trademarked in certain situations. meme bombs are often just slogans, and are all obviously intended to be spread as far as possible as quickly as possible anyway, hence the name.

there is no way im gonna copy and paste someone elses work and call it my own, in that sense i agree with you, Nigel: plagiarists are scum. clearly this would be stupid and one could expect fail. text is copyright tho, ideas are free.

i disagree with many copyright laws though. I am certainly all for freedom as far as data and information. music should be heard, films and shows seen, books read, and unless you really need a hard copy, it doesn't cost anything substantial. the people here and all over teh inertnets steal and edit copyrighted pics and footage for their own amusement, and i see no reason why we shouldn't be able to duplicate stuff. you can always borrow from libraries and photocopy pages, well torrents waste fewer resources. Lars & Fred vs. Napster, i know who's side im on.

what percentage of musicians/writers/artists/filmmakers etc. throughout history really brought something groundbreakingly unique to the table, do you think? most have just 'copied', imo. ask lars & fred for more informed opinions.

found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft which answers my original question: you can use copyleft to relinquish sombunall copyright rights, so you can demand credit. seems very obvious to me now.
PFTH! they have the backwards 'c' in a circle instead of a 'k'. apparently the PD only had 'all rights reversed', but 'copyleft' wasn't coined til '75, so the 'k' in a circle stood for 'kallisti', not for kopyleft?
also im pretty sure you can profit on kopyleft stuff :cn: (who printed my new hardcover PD?), you just have to make whatever you use it for kopyleft in itself, so you cant claim to own copyright over something free just because you used it.

i mainly want to create music, and i wont be releasing my music as kopyleft until im satisfied with it. I like to think my music is cool and different sounding, i just want to experiment with lyrical styles and themes, and i am really interested in using meme bombs, and ideas and themes of many writings i've seen on this forum. I'm just basically shit at writing poetry.  :sad: . im gonna make some animated music clips for assignments this semester, but i'd like to release them after, so i want to make sure there's no infringements.

so sorry tldr, i crap on...
filmmusic

Verbal Mike

Look what you've done bones.
I just missed my train.
Shame on you. Shame.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Manta Obscura

All of my work posted on this site is kopyleft, unless I note otherwise (which I am not likely to do, except in very rare instances). It may be used as you see fit, in or out of context, either in whole or in part, in all types of publications. The only exceptions or additions to this are as follows:

1) I would like to be recognized as the author of the work if you use it.
2) Please do not use any pictures of me that I post on here in a publication without consulting me first, excluding, of course, any regular post on the forums themselves; those don't require my permission or anything.
Everything I wish for myself, I wish for you also.

The Dark Monk

Anything I write or post you cn use giving me credit or not.
Credit preferred, bult ultimately IDC.
Just keep me in the loop of what it;s used in :D
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Cain

Now redundant post.

Iason Ouabache

I didn't realize that I haven't posted anything in this thread.

If I ever manage to write anything worth repeating then it is KopyLeft/ShareAlike Non-Commercial with Attribution.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘