News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

Plan of action

Started by Cain, March 07, 2007, 04:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

1. Come up with a better name (BIP is too philosophically constrictive and attracts emo/goth types.  Sorry, but it is).

2. Decide where we want to go from there.  Is this meant to be a blueprint for action or trying to figure stuff out?  Throw in a target audience here.

3. Get writing.

4. Position the project as something associated with the Discordian movement but not part of it.  Thats important, because sooner or later everything fizzles out and I'd rather the place where the ideas come from didn't go with it.

5.  More suggestions?

LMNO

1.  Agreed, and it's also plagerism.

2.  No idea.

3.  In process.

4.  Good idea.

AFK

1.  Good idea.  Would help us avoid the Wrath of Dick. 

2.  Another good idea, too much sticking apart will lead to us getting stuck.

3.  Trying, as time allows

4.  So, are you thinking like the BIP is a colleague of PD instead of a dependant progeny?

5.  Someone's gotta say, "I think we should all write about X"  And then, we all write about X.  And then, if there is a group that says, "Hey, I don't know shit about X."  then we come up with an alternate plan/project.  I think we all have a common energy, but a common specific focus, IMO, isn't totally there yet. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 07, 2007, 04:57:02 PM5.  Someone's gotta say, "I think we should all write about X"  And then, we all write about X.  And then, if there is a group that says, "Hey, I don't know shit about X."  then we come up with an alternate plan/project.  I think we all have a common energy, but a common specific focus, IMO, isn't totally there yet.

this is a good idea and it seems to work, looking at Rog's SBOTD

ok it wasn't exactly one coherent theme, but there came some very good texts quickly

but does this work with the magazine thing? we could get "theme" issues?

- i can think of one good theme that would probably do well with new people "ok so you convinced me everything's fukt NOW WHAT DO I DO ABOUT IT?", either that or take a step back and convince people everything's fukt.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

Oh yeah, the magazine.  I guess I'm still stuck in the past of pamphlets.  In that case my idea perhaps isn't all that pertinent. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LHX

theme magazine works

the _______ issue

the _______ issue

the _______ issue

sorta like having a guest editor every time around

i agree that the name goes

i also think we should get that out of the way now before we go too far

it means that something would have to be done about the wiki which sucks

to be honest - it would be cool to be in a situation where we could frequently change the name or the title of whatever we are doing

it should reflect the ability to change our own minds, shape shift, welcome new things, slip out of rigid definitions

some sort of unsociety or disorganization
neat hell

Triple Zero

i suggest

the _fukt__ issue (everything is fucked)
the _whatnow__ issue (what now?!)
the _anniversary__ issue (cause by then it'll be wayy into the future and time for some celebration we got that far)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

LHX

man

i really like the sound of a fukt issue

and the follow up being a 'what to do now' issue is dope

i propose #3 be 'HOLY SHIT WE ARE STILL FUKT!!!1!11!'
neat hell

Triple Zero

(sidenote: there could have been coffee on my shiny new TFT for that #3 remark)

Quote from: LHX on March 07, 2007, 05:35:03 PMit means that something would have to be done about the wiki which sucks

the important thing about the wiki is that it should become some kind of collection basket for incoming stuff, to be sorted out, edited, and put into some other media later.
it's not so much something for other people to look at, as well something to keep all our stuff.
like some of the people on this board probably already do, have a folder on their HD for saving "the good bits", the wiki should be like that, only for the entire community of us.

in other words, it doesn't really matter what kind of logo or name is slapped on it.

at least, this was the function i had in mind for a wiki, not a publication tool but more a collaboration/collection tool.

hunter s.durden

Another thing about BIP?
My buddy said "Yeah, that Phillip K. Dick stuff? I read it."
Just because the name and concept were stolen from Dick doesn't really make this Dick stuff, right?
So at first glance it looks like a sci-fi forum.

I've never read VALIS. For all I know all this stuff could be straight out of the book.
I just thought you guys liked the catchy metaphor.
This space for rent.

LMNO

We do like the image.

It's not PKD stuff.

It's all my fault.

Stand by for a new thread concerning this.

hunter s.durden

I figured that.
I'm just saying that's how it comes off to some n00bs.

Seems like it's brainstorming time, title wise.
This space for rent.

rygD

I don't understand everyone else's point of view on this name issue.  What is the real reason that all of a sudden everyone wants to change it.  Does it really matter what the fuck it is called?  Give each issue a different name, not like the theme issues, actually give each issue a different layout and feel, with a different name.  The project itself can be called BIP, or not have a name.

For the type of topics you want to discuss everyone seems stuck in the black iron prison of "Black Iron Prison", or rather that the name matters.  If the material is good it doesn't matter what it is called.

I propose the name "On a Scale From One to Gay..."
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

LMNO

ryg, you also seem to be conflating separate issues.

One issue is what to call a potential publication.

Another is the possibility of renaming the "Black Iron Prison" metaphor itself, as it has little to nothing to do with PKD.

rygD

el minnow,
Thanks for that, you are correct, and my dumb ass missed that.
rygD
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...