News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

The Magazine Thread

Started by Cramulus, March 08, 2007, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Benaclypse on May 11, 2007, 05:30:06 AM
My 2 cents:  Name a mag "Chaos".  It provides a broader palette and more intrigued audience than just a mag about some ancient Greek Goddess or whining about how we're all in prison.

Fuck that.  Name it JUGS AND ASS, and reach the unwashed masses.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Shit

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 11, 2007, 05:31:56 AM
My 2 cents:  Name a mag "Chaos".  It provides a broader palette and more intrigued audience than just a mag about some ancient Greek Goddess or whining about how we're all in prison.

Okay, I admit.  JUGS AND ASS is the correcterest motorcylcle.  Srsly.  Today the Internerd.  Tomorrow every grocery aisle in the world!
So long, and thanks for all the shit.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 11, 2007, 05:31:56 AM

I buy it for the articles.... really...
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

That One Guy

Quote from: That One Guy on May 10, 2007, 05:03:43 PM
In the spirit of getting things rolling again, and following up on my suggestion of shooting for a cohesive "theme" for each issue/edition/whatever, I'd like to propose that the first volume's "theme" is Revolution. Anyone that's interested in contributing, let's get something going with specifics so that we won't duplicate things others are working on - Cain could do something on the history end or current/modern revolutions, TGRR could whip everyone into one of his rant-frenzies, Prof could 'shop up a few "How To" pamphlet-style things, etc.

Since an overall focus seems to be something people were interested in pursuing, I figured I'd start the ball rolling. I'm in the process of getting something together regarding what to do AFTER a Revolution, rather than how to get there or what to do during it. It's been bubbling beneath the surface for a day or two, and I'll hopefully have something solid later this weekend or next week at the latest. Since that's what's been bouncing around in my head, I thought I'd get things going in that general vein - hopefully we can get this thing moving again  :fnord:

So, I've gone through maybe a dozen attempts at getting my post-revolution article going, and - while I know generally what I want to include - I'm having much trouble actually getting it into readable form.

Consequently, is this topic something people are interested in writing about? If so, great and I'll keep trying to hash out my ideas. If NOT, well, does anyone have any other relatively broad concepts that they've been ruminating on?

I really like the overall magazine concept, and ideally if we could have something concrete by the end of the summer that would be incredible. That gives us about three months (June/July/August) to get content and format established. Once all that is in place subsequent issues will be able to happen faster as they can just use the existing format, but giving ourselves a little more time to get things started should allow everyone to take the time to put out something that reflects the quality I've seen kicking around here.

Thoughts?
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Thurnez Isa

maybe would should start with a seaonal newletter - or just a monthly one - kind of like the ones I get in my email - links, article, ect.
something small then slowly work our way up to something more tangable

?
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Payne

Well, so far of the two things i've posted for feedback for a magazine style thing don't seems to have worked.

Maybe a newsletter would be O.K. but we would need someone to get a big mailing list from somewere. Now where would we find someone who has something like that?

~~~Payne: Pondering

That One Guy

Next week, after I actually have some time  to spend on something other than music (playing three shows in a week, with 5 different OTHER peoples' sets to learn PLUS a set of my own music at two of those shows takes a wee bit o' time after all) I really want to get at least something started with this.

Whether it's a newsletter, blog, magazine, whatever, there's so much great stuff kicking around here, and so many creative people we should be able to get something going.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.