News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Started by Cain, March 14, 2007, 01:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://concordiamovement.blogspot.com/2007/03/black-iron-prison.html

Modern Discordians have finally almost created a new idea on their own . . . they only had to rip it off from an imfamous CIA investigated sci-fi hack named Dick. How appropriate.

This idea is known as the Black Iron Prison, and the basic concept is that your own perceptions are a prison from which you can never break free from. Once you realize you are trapped in a prison you can try to break out, but once you are outside you realize you are trapped within a larger, more impenetrable, prison. No matter what you do, or what you try, you are trapped.

What a cheery concept.

They offer no ways to get out, or think around this concept, its just laid out there and you had better digest it, accept it, and like it or you are a shallow fool who doesn't get the 'harsh reality' of the situation.

The idea comes from Dick's book Valis, which nobody I know has read or even heard of. The more obscure, the better, I guess.

LMNO

Wow, that's almost the same thing Laz said.

Anybody want to toss the Golden Sphere of Possibility their way?

Mangrove

Quote from: LMNO on March 14, 2007, 01:43:39 PM

Anybody want to toss the Golden Hand Grenade of Go Fuck Yourself their way?

f1x.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

TEHMANG 222000000 points - concordiamovement nil poi.
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

AFK

Quote from: Mangrove on March 14, 2007, 02:09:37 PM
Quote from: LMNO on March 14, 2007, 01:43:39 PM

Anybody want to toss the Golden Hand Grenade of Go Fuck Yourself their way?

f1x.

That tears it.  We need to get Parker Brothers on the horn to develop a BIP Monopoly game.  So, far for tokens we've got a barstool, the Golden Hand Grenade of Go Fuck Yourself, we could throw in a golden apple for nostalgia. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Lies

Just a thought...
the dude *may* have a point.
BIP does sorta come off as pretty depressing.
Not that it doesn't sorta make sense, but yeah... come on, the name already suggests it's not a "fun" read.
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

AFK

Sure, it's depressing to someone who totally misses the point

LMNO

Lys, check out the "GSP" thread I just bumped.  Let me know if that's any less depressing.

B_M_W

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 14, 2007, 02:57:17 PM
Sure, it's depressing to someone who totally misses the point

I second that statement.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Lies

Ah yeah, GSP thread curious.

Also, that site mentioned...
it's discordians trying to "take down" discordia, so I don't think it needs to be taken too seriously in the first place.
- Oh it exists, and how!

Cain

Yeah, I know.  I'm 99% certain of who it is too, and I like giving them the exposure they deserve.

DJRubberducky

Quote from: Lysergic on March 14, 2007, 03:15:15 PM
Ah yeah, GSP thread curious.

Also, that site mentioned...
it's discordians trying to "take down" discordia, so I don't think it needs to be taken too seriously in the first place.

Very few things do.  On the other hand, it's not a bad idea to have someone occasionally taking us to task like we do others.  It may be that they're missing the point because they're too heavily invested in another worldview to even begin to understand what we're doing/saying, but it may also be that we're getting too far into the habit of ... preaching to the choir isn't the best metaphor, but when we write stuff to post here, we know that most of them already have certain understandings, grok our acronyms and our..."culturally unique" metaphors, so we forget to try writing with an eye toward the "lay person".
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Triple Zero

i think it's interesting that this guy got almost the same conclusion as Laz did.

no matter if they both completely missed the fucking point, we might want to think about priming the BIP concept for short-sightedness
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Lies

Oh no, I didn't miss the point.
I never said that the book sucked, it just comes off dark and depressing. I can see how it IS a good thing though.

But yeah, you have to remember, we're dealing with cabbages here, they could pikc it up, see "Black iron prison" and go, "Oh that's not happy enough for me to bother with" and toss it in the bin or sommink.

Just a thought.
- Oh it exists, and how!

AFK

Quote from: Lysergic on March 14, 2007, 04:23:05 PM
Oh no, I didn't miss the point.
I never said that the book sucked, it just comes off dark and depressing. I can see how it IS a good thing though.

But yeah, you have to remember, we're dealing with cabbages here, they could pikc it up, see "Black iron prison" and go, "Oh that's not happy enough for me to bother with" and toss it in the bin or sommink.

Just a thought.

True, but I don't think anyone has any delusion of getting to everybody.  Even if 5% read it and get it, it's better than nothing.