News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

Recreation Time for the Inmates

Started by AFK, March 29, 2007, 09:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

So, I'm here thinking. 

We've got some people out there wandering.  Aimless and hapless.

But, not all are without hope, and so some of us aim to reach them and maybe give them a little light.  (black light?)

So, they download a pamphlet, they look over the meme-u, they stream some POEEcasts.  And so, they start to open up to some of the possibilities and philosophies we lay out. 

But, then what. 

To me there are at least two steps in the process, maybe three. 

Step 1.  Open the door
Step 2.  Walk through the door
Step 3.  Keep on walking.

So it seems like what we do here is a lot of step 1, maybe some of step 2. 
What can the person do for themselves besides read our prop?
Is there, are there, activities/excercises that could help them expand their vision and to get them to continue with step 2 and step 3?

In other words,
"Okay, I've read your stuff.  Makes sense, I dig it.  So, now what do I do?"
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

I've been thinking about this, as well.  I know it's considered bad form to use personal techniques as general advice, so it's tricky.  I'll have to give this some thought.

I think what we're looking for here are practical, pragmatic ways to keep the knowledge of our grids (cells, filters, et al) at the front of our minds, but without the bullshit guru act.

LHX

'now-what-do-i-do?' - suggestions:

1. stay in touch

2. in the face of a society that has gone mad - take it upon yourself to Do The Right Thing,Ñ¢ - take more chances with your social status/ego/pride knowing that you have a community of people who wont turn their back on you if you mess it up

3. dont be lulled back to sleep by anybody/anything (it will start burning if you do)

4. explore the validity of all known limitations

5. do all of the above as extremely as you can without providing reason to be incarcerated

6. consider focussing on helping youth
neat hell

AFK

Quote from: LMNO on March 30, 2007, 01:08:27 PM
I've been thinking about this, as well.  I know it's considered bad form to use personal techniques as general advice, so it's tricky.  I'll have to give this some thought.

I think what we're looking for here are practical, pragmatic ways to keep the knowledge of our grids (cells, filters, et al) at the front of our minds, but without the bullshit guru act.

Right.  Because I think it is important for someone to be able to have self-sufficiency with this.  At least most of the time.  So if you do 'x' once in awhile, it will help you to keep things in focus.  It seems activities that actively engage creativity would have potential.  Also activities of observation.  Like, perhaps, observing something that seems ridiculously trivial and meaningless and to see if you can observe details you've always ignored. 

Ambassador KAOS

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 29, 2007, 09:16:38 PM

So it seems like what we do here is a lot of step 1, maybe some of step 2. 
What can the person do for themselves besides read our prop?
Is there, are there, activities/excercises that could help them expand their vision and to get them to continue with step 2 and step 3?

In other words,
"Okay, I've read your stuff.  Makes sense, I dig it.  So, now what do I do?"

I think that's the part your supposed to figure out, not that one ever can.

Even still this really hits home for me, seeing actual mental excersizes posted more often would make me happy.  I like that kinda shite.  That's what I've been instigating on some of threads, things to try out and see if they work.

None of them will work all of the time, but some of them will work some of the time and some may even seem usefull.*

*not just my ideas, but anyones.  Thought I should note that before the word police show up.
AKK: twice as modded as you'd believe.

phear my 1337 braynz!!!!11one!

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 30, 2007, 11:42:40 PM
At this point, I believe there only two things that are going to stop him.

1.  His connection going down
2.  HIMEOBS

NEWS:  Principia Discordia dot com:  Now with 90% less Ambassador KAOS!

AFK

I just wanted to point out in this thread, that as I was driving home from work last night an idea popped into my head related to this thread.

A mental excercise book/video related to BIP.

We could call it:  "Mind by Jake"

LMNO

Goddamn, RWHN, I really, really hate you.

:lulz:

AFK

I was actually kind of serious with that suggestion.   :|

LHX

self-sufficiency is what its all about
neat hell

DJRubberducky

"So I've read your stuff, I dig it, what now?"

"Explain to me why it's all a load of bullshit."
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Cramulus

People would ask Tim Leary what to do once they've turned on tuned in & dropped out.

His advice: "Find the others."

AFK

But wouldn't people like us be "The others".

Of course, it probably would be beneficial to seek out "others" in the flesh.  The conundrum then, is how to seek these people out without ending up in an institution or on a neighborhood watch list. 

rygD

I have finally gotten around to buying a copy of "Zen without Zen Masters".  This and RAW's shit and other things along these lines seem to me to be the next step.  I haven't listened to the POEEcasts, so I don't know if they are working in this direction, but the magazine thing is a good idea, as well as any books we can get out there.  Also music, films/television and other "art".  These things could serve two purposes, one of making more people aware of the project as a whole, bringing them into it, and working on that next step (if not, somehow, becoming the next step...I am unsure how that would work).
I think these are close to the list that LHX provided, so I somewhat support that, particularly #6, the youth outreach.

el minnow, perhaps just providing personal techniques as an example and forcing them to figure out their own path is a good idea.  Is this less "bad form"?
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

Triple Zero

mostly because i thought LHXs list was very awesome straight advise, i decided to put the useful suggestions made so far on the wiki:

http://www.poee.co.uk/bip/index.php?title=Now_What_Do_I_Do%3F

(i didn't put everybody's posts in there, only the resultant advice)

didn't Roger (or somebody else?) write a rant on the subject of "What Now?" ?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 30, 2007, 02:01:28 PM
I just wanted to point out in this thread, that as I was driving home from work last night an idea popped into my head related to this thread.

A mental excercise book/video related to BIP.

We could call it:  "Mind by Jake"

:mittens: