News:

if the thee off of you are revel in the fact you ds a discordant suck it's dick and praise it's agenda? guess what bit-chit's not. hat I in fact . do you really think it'd theshare about shit, hen you should indeed tare-take if the frontage that you're into. do you really think it's the hardcore shite of the left thy t? you're little f/cking girls parackind abbot in tituts. FUCK YOU. you're latecomers, and you 're folks who don't f/cking get it. plez challenge me.

Main Menu

OFFICIAL POLITICAL CARTOONS/PIC FREAD.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 02, 2007, 07:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Cain on October 27, 2008, 08:56:17 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on October 27, 2008, 08:50:05 PM
Quote from: planeswalker on October 27, 2008, 08:45:35 PM
Also: "I don't want to sound X, and I'm not X, but..." -> people who talk like that make me sick

Why?  It's a defensive posture one is supposed to take if one is to say something that anyone overly sensitive to X is going to label one X for saying.  If one says that, one is merely labeled X in muttered antagonism rather than if one doesn't, in which case one would be loudly called out for being rabidly X.

In theory what you say is true, but in practice many people who do use it are exactly the sort of people who are trying to use it to escape responsibility for their statements.  I used to work in a Chinese takeaway, in a very white, rural small town, and you would not believe the amount of blatantly racist shit I heard prefaced by "I'm not racist, but..."

If you don't want people to think you're a racist, don't say the sort of things racists say.  Its pretty simple.

That is often the case that people will use this defensive posture in a lame attempt to shield themselves while hurling blatant racism, but simply stating that this preface makes one sick ignores the fact that people who could generally be considered innocent of X are forced to use it by overly sensitive people (often with understandable reasons for being overly sensitive) and the PC nazi crowd that act as enforcers.

This case, for instance.  They were having a discussion group with a broad demographic regarding fears and concerns around this election, and this lady had a fear about retaliation from a historically oppressed group in society when they achieve a landmark accomplishment of having one of their own as the leader of the society.  That is not entirely without precedent.  I don't happen to be as worried as she is, and i don't think it will be as widespread as she may think is possible, but she's not off her rocker.  And i certainly wouldn't say that she is racist for having those concerns.  But she knew damn well that she would get labeled that for expressing her fears.  The very next person they took a response from was a black guy, who they pointed out was listening to her response with his arms 'tightly folded across his chest' and a disapproving look on his face.  This backs up her need to take a defensive posture.  (i would also point out that that fellows response to her statement is perfectly natural and expected, and not without merit.  some would label him as 'reverse-racist' or some such nonsense...)

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Jenne on October 27, 2008, 09:01:37 PM
Simply put:  It's a cop out.

people that say 'Simply put: X' in regards to complex social interactions make me sick!.....
:p (i'm just ribbin' ya....)

Cain

But is her fear based on them being a historically repressed minority or because they are black?  Its not clear, and you can easily make it so without having to send everyone's racism-radar into overdrive with hackneyed statements about ones non-racism.

Also, as an aside:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/politics/2008/10/plot_uncovered.html

QuoteVia the AP (and confirmed by NPR):

The ATF says it has broken up a plot to assassinate Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama and shoot or decapitate 102 black people in a Tennessee murder spree.

In court records unsealed Monday, agents said they disrupted plans to rob a gun store and target an unnamed but predominantly African-American high school by two neo-Nazi skinheads.

There is going to be violence whoever wins.  I suspect it would be more visible and obvious in the case of an Obama loss, but freaks like this are popping up all over the radar again as well.  The GOP has poisoned the well for the elections with its ACORN and nationality conspiracy theories, knowing full well it will fire up these sort of groups above and beyond the normal (by providing a legitimizing discourse).

Ari

Quote from: Iptuous on October 27, 2008, 09:13:34 PM
Quote from: Jenne on October 27, 2008, 09:01:37 PM
Simply put:  It's a cop out.

people that say 'Simply put: X' in regards to complex social interactions make me sick!.....
:p (i'm just ribbin' ya....)
I smiled ;)

Quote from: Iptuous on October 27, 2008, 09:11:51 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 27, 2008, 08:56:17 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on October 27, 2008, 08:50:05 PM
Quote from: planeswalker on October 27, 2008, 08:45:35 PM
Also: "I don't want to sound X, and I'm not X, but..." -> people who talk like that make me sick

Why?  It's a defensive posture one is supposed to take if one is to say something that anyone overly sensitive to X is going to label one X for saying.  If one says that, one is merely labeled X in muttered antagonism rather than if one doesn't, in which case one would be loudly called out for being rabidly X.

In theory what you say is true, but in practice many people who do use it are exactly the sort of people who are trying to use it to escape responsibility for their statements.  I used to work in a Chinese takeaway, in a very white, rural small town, and you would not believe the amount of blatantly racist shit I heard prefaced by "I'm not racist, but..."

If you don't want people to think you're a racist, don't say the sort of things racists say.  Its pretty simple.

That is often the case that people will use this defensive posture in a lame attempt to shield themselves while hurling blatant racism, but simply stating that this preface makes one sick ignores the fact that people who could generally be considered innocent of X are forced to use it by overly sensitive people (often with understandable reasons for being overly sensitive) and the PC nazi crowd that act as enforcers.

This case, for instance.  They were having a discussion group with a broad demographic regarding fears and concerns around this election, and this lady had a fear about retaliation from a historically oppressed group in society when they achieve a landmark accomplishment of having one of their own as the leader of the society.  That is not entirely without precedent.  I don't happen to be as worried as she is, and i don't think it will be as widespread as she may think is possible, but she's not off her rocker.  And i certainly wouldn't say that she is racist for having those concerns.  But she knew damn well that she would get labeled that for expressing her fears.  The very next person they took a response from was a black guy, who they pointed out was listening to her response with his arms 'tightly folded across his chest' and a disapproving look on his face.  This backs up her need to take a defensive posture.  (i would also point out that that fellows response to her statement is perfectly natural and expected, and not without merit.  some would label him as 'reverse-racist' or some such nonsense...)
How many cases are there where the expression in question has just been abused by a gagillion idiots in order to escape the responsibility not only for their words but also for knowing exactly what is going to be uttered and how it will be perceived?
That old lady might just as well be afraid of facing the fact that she has been thinking "differently" about black people her entire life and the defensive mechanism is kicking in because of unconscious guilt.
Maybe she just fears what the media will make of whatever she means to say but that could only be if what she has to say is controversial enough to piss someone off.
Whatever it is, she knows it - and by using that line she is clearly going in the defense before anyone attacked - subconsciously showing that she expects an attack and she would very much like to have a convenient way of getting out of any argument that arises after her statement.

I see that theoretically it's no problem to word things like that. And those who could say this in practice without being a tool of their own thought machine are very capable of saying whatever they want to say without feeling the need to use said line.

~planeswalker
didn't want to nitpick, but...  :D
パンクビッチ

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Ari

Quote from: Cain on October 27, 2008, 09:41:55 PM
[...]
http://www.npr.org/blogs/politics/2008/10/plot_uncovered.html

QuoteVia the AP (and confirmed by NPR):

The ATF says it has broken up a plot to assassinate Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama and shoot or decapitate 102 black people in a Tennessee murder spree.

In court records unsealed Monday, agents said they disrupted plans to rob a gun store and target an unnamed but predominantly African-American high school by two neo-Nazi skinheads.

There is going to be violence whoever wins.  I suspect it would be more visible and obvious in the case of an Obama loss, but freaks like this are popping up all over the radar again as well.  The GOP has poisoned the well for the elections with its ACORN and nationality conspiracy theories, knowing full well it will fire up these sort of groups above and beyond the normal (by providing a legitimizing discourse).

パンクビッチ

Cain

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Jenne

LMNO

Ok, now make a big yellow ribbon that says "I SUPPORT OUR CAMPAIGN SIGNS."

Jenne

FUCK yeah--except, no, black and orange...because tis the season.  :lol:

Jenne

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Elder Iptuous