News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

OFFICIAL POLITICAL CARTOONS/PIC FREAD.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 02, 2007, 07:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

He's sort of the evil alter-ego of the main character.  If you read the series, you'll see him feeding children rocks, pretending to write in a journal on a train to attract girls before breaking their hearts and other amusing past times.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Ari

パンクビッチ

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cain

Quote from: planeswalker on October 27, 2008, 07:55:29 PM
re: hat guy

Yeah, thats spawned a pretty good O:MF style thread on the forums.

The Open Bar

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Jenne on October 27, 2008, 06:51:20 PM

Heh, this made me think of something I heard on NPR the other day. Some Republican lady was asked what she thought would happen if Obama were elected president. After an "Um" and the most hilariously awkward 7 seconds of silence I have ever listened to, she said... waitwaitwait, I want you to guess. Guess what she said!

Think you got it? Here's what she said:

"I don't want to sound racist, and I'm not racist, but..."

:lulz: The rest is a blur. The gist of it was that she believed that black people would take Obama's inauguration as a reason to celebrate by pushing white people off the sidewalk.

Jenne

WHAT the FUCK is it about the sidewalk?  HONESTLY, WHITEY, GET OVER THE SIDEWALK THING!

Better explain:  when I was 12, my great-great aunt in Sikeston, MO said to me that "Black folk" were so uppity these days--they didn't hardly get off the sidewalk when they saw you comin'!

Yeah, I had some really racist folks in my family...dark history there.  Book even written about it by some university people in the 90's...anyway...GET OVER THE SIDEWALK THING!  :argh!:

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Cainad on October 27, 2008, 08:30:42 PM
Heh, this made me think of something I heard on NPR the other day. Some Republican lady was asked what she thought would happen if Obama were elected president. After an "Um" and the most hilariously awkward 7 seconds of silence I have ever listened to, she said... waitwaitwait, I want you to guess. Guess what she said!
Think you got it? Here's what she said:
"I don't want to sound racist, and I'm not racist, but..."
:lulz: The rest is a blur. The gist of it was that she believed that black people would take Obama's inauguration as a reason to celebrate by pushing white people off the sidewalk.
I heard that same piece on NPR.   I believe it was the same one that they were following the 'Democrats for McCain' and pointed out that some of them are black.
Re: the sidewalk thing.... I'm sure some will.  Most won't, but some will.
Another person in the discussion group pointed out that if the election went the other way, we would probably have more to worry about as far as racial tension goes.  I tend to agree.

Ari

Quote from: Cain on October 27, 2008, 08:12:11 PM
Quote from: planeswalker on October 27, 2008, 07:55:29 PM
re: hat guy
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/a-minus-minus.png

Yeah, that spawned a pretty good O:MF style thread on the forums.
Have there been any :lulz: worthy results from that thread?

Also: "I don't want to sound X, and I'm not X, but..." -> people who talk like that make me sick
パンクビッチ

Mangrove

"I don't want to sound racist but...."

[translation]

"I am racist and I want to say racist things...but without consequence."
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: planeswalker on October 27, 2008, 08:45:35 PM
Also: "I don't want to sound X, and I'm not X, but..." -> people who talk like that make me sick

Why?  It's a defensive posture one is supposed to take if one is to say something that anyone overly sensitive to X is going to label one X for saying.  If one says that, one is merely labeled X in muttered antagonism rather than if one doesn't, in which case one would be loudly called out for being rabidly X.

Cain

Quote from: Iptuous on October 27, 2008, 08:50:05 PM
Quote from: planeswalker on October 27, 2008, 08:45:35 PM

Why?  It's a defensive posture one is supposed to take if one is to say something that anyone overly sensitive to X is going to label one X for saying.  If one says that, one is merely labeled X in muttered antagonism rather than if one doesn't, in which case one would be loudly called out for being rabidly X.

In theory what you say is true, but in practice many people who do use it are exactly the sort of people who are trying to use it to escape responsibility for their statements.  I used to work in a Chinese takeaway, in a very white, rural small town, and you would not believe the amount of blatantly racist shit I heard prefaced by "I'm not racist, but..."

If you don't want people to think you're a racist, don't say the sort of things racists say.  Its pretty simple.

Jenne