News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

OFFICIAL POLITICAL CARTOONS/PIC FREAD.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 02, 2007, 07:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Am I the only one who finds this slightly creepy?  He's been in power for less than two years.  Obama would be, at the moment, somewhere in the low 500s, and he only gets even that far by simply being the President of the United States at a time when it is still (barely) a hegemonic power, and not because of anything he in particular has done.

E.O.T.

"a good fight justifies any cause"

Cain

Yeah, could be.  Or, more likely, unpaid and relying on brand recognition/association.

Still creepy though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I would make the argument that Obama is not necessarily influential because of anything he has DONE, but more on the basis of who he is and how he managed to capture public imagination in a really big way.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Yeah, but of all time (where is Kanye when we need him)?  I wont deny a level of influence, but against all of history, in the top 100?  That's pushing it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on March 13, 2010, 05:56:56 AM
Yeah, but of all time (where is Kanye when we need him)?  I wont deny a level of influence, but against all of history, in the top 100?  That's pushing it.

Well, certainly, but as the only black US President of all time he has a certain edge regardless of his actual Presidency, which so far is pretty same old same.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

E.O.T.

Jasper

Quote from: Cramulus on March 10, 2010, 11:34:33 PM
the support bubble near the bottom is interesting.

shows how little the parties differ in ways you'd expect would be a bigger gap.

The only really significant difference between dems and repubs is tax cuts? :lulz:

Wait... Oh. :(

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

E.O.T.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 13, 2010, 08:26:00 AM

'SCUZE ME

while i whip dis out

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Jasper

Cramulus

Quote from: Cain on March 13, 2010, 05:00:34 AM

Am I the only one who finds this slightly creepy?  He's been in power for less than two years.  Obama would be, at the moment, somewhere in the low 500s, and he only gets even that far by simply being the President of the United States at a time when it is still (barely) a hegemonic power, and not because of anything he in particular has done.

My guess is that he's on the cover because he's topical.

There's an entire branch of trade publishing which basically just kicks out books every month based on controversy and the top google searches. They use stock photo and licensed text blurbs to put together books extremely quickly.

I applied for this job a few months ago at this publishing house which operates like that. It was some significant date relating to Marilyn Monroe, so there were a lot of documentaries on TV about her. They were able to publish a book of marilyn monroe quotes in about three weeks, fast enough so that it was still topical by the time the books hit the shelf. You usually find these things near the register at Barnes & Noble on sale for 50% off.

So my guess is that Brittanica has a publishing office which basically just zips out books in record time by manipulating photo and text assets they already own. If a movie comes out about, I dunno, Martin Luther King Jr, they'll quickly pop out a photo anthology about his life so they can capitalize on the buzz.

Jenne

Quote from: Requia ☣ on March 12, 2010, 11:19:05 PM

Minority effects, A lot of minorities have the good sense to not vote for republicans out of self preservation despite having similar leanings on social issues.

:cn:  There are still alot of minority (read: Asian and Latino) conservative voters out there.

Jenne

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 13, 2010, 06:15:48 AM

The only really significant difference between dems and repubs is tax cuts? :lulz:

Wait... Oh. :(

War is what stood out to me, actually.

And on the subject of them "meeting in the middle," I took a geographical data class once and in it we learned that most people reside in the middle.  It's up to both parties to win the people off the fence.  So it's never really shocking to me that you have either 20 or 10 percent on the extreme sides and the rest are in the middle.  People tend to like their politicians this way, as well.