News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

OFFICIAL POLITICAL CARTOONS/PIC FREAD.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, April 02, 2007, 07:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

why did they feel the need to put 'Black, African Am., or Negro'?
did they think this would offend less, rather than more?
do they have some subtle distinctions that i am unaware of?

also, aren't they are conflating ethnicity and race?

Jasper

Who's the asshole that put that in there? 

Remington

Is it plugged in?

Jasper

Triple Zero

goddamn that's a fucking horror scarecrow smile.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

I actually have an ebook of Mitt Romney's...er, hagiography to Bush II-era sociopathic disregard for the lives of others.  It's really that bad.

Jenne

Quote from: Iptuous on March 26, 2010, 07:19:58 PM
why did they feel the need to put 'Black, African Am., or Negro'?
did they think this would offend less, rather than more?
do they have some subtle distinctions that i am unaware of?

also, aren't they are conflating ethnicity and race?

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 26, 2010, 07:28:01 PM
Who's the asshole that put that in there? 

I heard this on NPR: it was because older African-Americans LIKED the term and wouldn't check "Black" or "African-American."  They wanted the term "Negro" put on there and requested it for the 2010 Census.  No troll.

Triple Zero

now is the time to petition for "pastyface cheesehead" !!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

I say we push for "honky" to be added.

Jenne

Well, there PACs and NGOs, etc. that use "Negro" in their title--to wit, "The United Negro College Fund," etc. (www.uncf.org) 

Anyway, here's an article on it:
http://wcbstv.com/national/negro.census.form.2.1409469.html

QuoteQuestion #9 on the this year's census asks about your race. One of the boxes you can choose is "black," "African American," or "negro," all placed next to the same box. Ingram said it's not a word he uses to identify neither himself nor anybody else.

"African Americans haven't been going by the term 'negro' for decades now. It's really confusing," he said.

But census officials disagree, saying they found some older African Americans identify themselves that way and they're trying to be inclusive. In a statement, they said: "Results from the census in 2000 showed that a number of respondents provided a write-in response of 'negro' when answering the question on race."

In fact, Congress approved the form more than a year ago.

...language is a strange, beautiful and fucking frustrating animal.

Cramulus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jenne

Something racist and supposed to be "old skool" Bush Sr. with "Voodoo Economics," but it hits WAY wide of the mark.

Jasper

Who are these people?  How did they get to the capital?

Freeky

Quote from: Sigmatic on March 30, 2010, 07:16:02 AM
Who are these people?  How did they get to the capital?

A more pressing question, I think, is how they survived to be adults when they are CLEARLY too stupid to live. :sad:

ETA DISCLAIMER: This isn't a dig at ECH and what was brought up in Nigel's thread. I really meant what I said. Please to not shit-fling.