News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

Pie or Cake?

Started by theCalmpsychopath, April 02, 2007, 09:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

which is better Pie or Cake

Pie
Cake

Kai

Okay, there is a hierarchy of pies and cakes. I can't be arsed to write it up, but basically, every cake and pie falls at some level of this hierarchy.  If choosing between a cake or a pie, if the pie is higher, choose the pie, and vice versa.

Or have/make both, if you so desire.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Johnny

I think that pie overall is better and cake has a higher treshold for sucking or being complete win.

I say cake, for high quality ones are greater than pie.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Jasper

Fuck, this old thread?

Alright.

Pie is harder to do well, therefore a good pie has far more merit than a good cake.  But the learning curve for pies gets steep fast, so that you can't actually produce flawless pies easily.  However, it is comparatively easy to make flawless cakes.   Therefore, it is easier to purloin a good cake, but more laudable to attain a good pie.

Felix,
God damn I am so full of shit I must be some kind of genius huh

Cramulus

Quote from: Kai on December 30, 2009, 11:59:03 PM
Okay, there is a hierarchy of pies and cakes. I can't be arsed to write it up, but basically, every cake and pie falls at some level of this hierarchy.  If choosing between a cake or a pie, if the pie is higher, choose the pie, and vice versa.

Or have/make both, if you so desire.

No no no no no no no no. NO.

THERE IS NO BOTH OPTION

& THIS IS HARDLY THE TIME FOR DESSERT SCIENCE

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT

Nast

Modern Western analytic thought seeks to define pie and cake as a dichotomous discourse. The text however, deconstructs this artificial into one of two separate yet dependent concepts, dissolving the barriers of binary contextualization into a fluid co-dynamic post-structure.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

The Johnny

Quote from: Nasturtiums on December 31, 2009, 05:50:56 AM
Modern Western analytic thought seeks to define pie and cake as a dichotomous discourse. The text however, deconstructs this artificial into one of two separate yet dependent concepts, dissolving the barriers of binary contextualization into a fluid co-dynamic post-structure like flan.

Edited for truth.

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

LMNO

Quote from: JohNyx on December 31, 2009, 11:42:22 AM
Quote from: Nasturtiums on December 31, 2009, 05:50:56 AM
Modern Western analytic thought seeks to define pie and cake as a dichotomous discourse. The text however, deconstructs this artificial into one of two separate yet dependent concepts, dissolving the barriers of binary contextualization into a fluid co-dynamic post-structure like flan.

Edited for truth.

JohNyx makes a good point.

FLAN, YOU FUCKERS!  FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: BAI on December 31, 2009, 12:43:46 PM
The meat pie world can be summed up with trumps:

Pork Pies trumps all other pies stone dead, with the exception of Haggis Pie which trumps Pork Pie but not Lamb which trumps Haggis Pie but not Pork.

not only that, but the very fact that meat pies both exist and are delicious proves pie's superiority to cake.

I, for one, would not be interested in a pork cake.

also, Flan is great but Tembleque is even better.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Triple Zero

Quote from: Felix on December 31, 2009, 05:13:04 AM
Fuck, this old thread?

Alright.

Pie is harder to do well, therefore a good pie has far more merit than a good cake.  But the learning curve for pies gets steep fast, so that you can't actually produce flawless pies easily.  However, it is comparatively easy to make flawless cakes.   Therefore, it is easier to purloin a good cake, but more laudable to attain a good pie.

Felix,
God damn I am so full of shit I must be some kind of genius huh

This is nonsense. Cakes are only easy if you choose to make an easy cake. For example, my girlfriend is superbly skilled at making a 6-layered Schwarzwälder kirsch. Which is a cake. Not a very easy task to accomplish. And yes when she's done you'll have a huge cake that looks pretty much exactly like those pics.

The Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte is the archetypical cake, it is the Platonic ideal of cake. All other cakes are based upon or derived from this form.

Another example.

Cake is simply better because of DEATH BY CHOCOLATE CAKE OF CHOCOLATE DEATH. Which is the heavyweight champion of cake.

how the fuck were you going to fit such amounts of chocolate into a pie? you can't. if you'd do so, you'd get a disc of solid chocolate surrounded by a crust. which is retarded.

therefore pie is retarded.

and cake is superior.

another example.

if you make quiche, usually you end up with a crust with things inside. which is nice, but it's basically just a crust with things inside.

unless you make quiche lorraine. with a lump of hard blue cheese into the mix.

then you got a solid beautiful mass of egg milk cheese and bacon.

now some of you may object and say that a quiche is in fact a pie and not a cake. because it has a crust, you say?

well what you say is WRONG:

The word ‘quiche’ is from the German ‘Kuchen’, meaning cake.[1] The Lorraine Franconian dialect of the German language historically spoken in much of the region, where German Kuchen, "cake", was altered first to "küche". Typical Alemannic changes unrounded the ü and shifted the palatal "ch" to the spirant "sh", resulting in "kische", which in standard French orthography became spelled "quiche."[2]

another example of cake superiority.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

shut the fuck up douchebag

Triple Zero

what are you, some kind of pieophile???
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

The Johnny

Dont they use cakes for urinals?

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

-B.F. Skinner

Triple Zero

rumours about aidscakes are superficial anecdotal and highly exaggerated.

however, I have it on good authority that "pie" rhymes with the verb "to die", an activity which is associated with high probability of lethality and possibly even DEATH.