News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Information Threat

Started by Jasper, June 05, 2011, 01:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

Also, a large part of what I think the OP was trying to communicate that, The Man's evil schemes aside, it's sheer amount of information available to us that makes it difficult to make practical use of ANY of it.

Example: Reading for pleasure. There's just so much damned genre fiction out there, and so many genres. You can either stick with one and go deep, or skim along all of them. Few have the time to do both because of the raw quantity. And then there's sorting through all the crap...
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Jasper

Although down to earth examples are important, what I'm really trying to get at is that the vaster forces at play (economics, human nature, and other usual suspects) come together in this situation to create something that we can't control, because we don't even particularly want to control it.  It's a cornucopia of short term benefits and long term degradation of our environment.

When you talk about the human environment, you have to talk about things like air quality indexes, PPM levels for toxins in food and water, and constitutional rights, but you also have to talk about the human situation.  You have to take into account that a human in our environment not only has the power to believe completely wrong things, you have to take into account that s/he will now also have immediate access citations of bogus studies and an entire community of other similarly damaged minds who will reinforce and support the mistaken belief.

That is the threat of the Glare.  People see in it what they want to see, and nothing of what they don't, and they KNOW they're onto something when they find the sources to back them up.

Critical minds that can think in straight lines are a dwindling kind. 

Pardon the rhyme.

Aside from the toxic fiat currency of stupid ideas ruining the mind market in society, the other threat of the Glare is that your attention is now a commodity.  Just by paying attention to certain things, you are putting money in people's pockets.  The best way to make this commodity at least valuable is to take care what you invest it in.  Time wasters are pleasing to the monkeymind, but ignore that.  Keep your attentions on information that you would invest a real commodity in.  You can't de-commoditize your brain cycles at this point since the Free Market already trades in it and nobody's noticed yet, but you can at least treat it like a valuable asset.

Eartha-ly Delights

Quote from: Alty on June 06, 2011, 06:44:43 PM
Also, a large part of what I think the OP was trying to communicate that, The Man's evil schemes aside, it's sheer amount of information available to us that makes it difficult to make practical use of ANY of it.

Example: Reading for pleasure. There's just so much damned genre fiction out there, and so many genres. You can either stick with one and go deep, or skim along all of them. Few have the time to do both because of the raw quantity. And then there's sorting through all the crap...

It's white noise for the intellect. That's the problem with having lots of information floating about the cyberspher.; As with any form of human communication the nuggets of gold are buried deep within mountains of rapidly solidifying bullshit. All teh webz really is is the world's most populous  public bar debate.  More fuckwits than sages of course, but always entertaining.And you just might leave having learned something.

You can't help thinking there has been a degree of artifice about it. The numbing bombardment of 24 hour satellite news services, the vertigo inducing walls of text needed to plow through any official document  or transcript you do happen to stumble upon. You're asleep before you've got to the bit where they channel billions offshore to fund black ops in Pakistan. Even beginning to look is fraught with terrors....The two and a half million results you get when you  google anything at all can be a tad off-putting, of course. Gotta be good for the ruling elite.....you know, In confusion there is profit and all that.

But wadda ya gunna do....
Stop lookin'?

I mean while ever there's people out there still looking it's making the bastard's nervous, innit? At this point I think that's about the best we can hope for.

Say what you will about the Nazis, but no woman ever fantasised about being tied up and ravished by a Liberal Democrat, now did she?
PJ O'Rourke

Sometimes glass glitters more than diamonds because it has more to prove.
Terry Pratchett