News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

BIP for Kids (Johnny Learns About the World)

Started by LMNO, April 11, 2007, 06:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambassador KAOS

Quote from: LMNO on April 13, 2007, 07:28:53 PM
interesting.  Jenne, I am very interested in your opinions.

forgive the bluntness of the following:

1. What do you think the correct age range/reading level of the audience should be?

2.  Should this book be for forward thinkers, or to be subersive, like Sendak or Silverstein?

1. The idea that this could be adult propaganda as well would probably indicate that the correct age range should probably be whoever is ready to recieve it, be they child adult, or otherwise. Putting it in simple terms is only going to make it more palletable and encourage outside the box thinking. 

2. Adding a forward would probably depend on the context it is to be presented in.

If it was to be read to young children the parent or teacher would likely provide an appropriate forward.  If it was to be left to be purviewed in public places, the reader would likely decide for themself what it meant.

I endorse keeping the grammar low level for these reasons.
AKK: twice as modded as you'd believe.

phear my 1337 braynz!!!!11one!

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on March 30, 2007, 11:42:40 PM
At this point, I believe there only two things that are going to stop him.

1.  His connection going down
2.  HIMEOBS

NEWS:  Principia Discordia dot com:  Now with 90% less Ambassador KAOS!

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

I don't think I can, except for in the most obvious way.  The permissions all seem to be set up correctly...the only other way would be to hide the forum from guests.  Maybe.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Ambassador KAOS on April 16, 2007, 11:03:14 AM
Quote from: LMNO on April 13, 2007, 07:28:53 PM
interesting.  Jenne, I am very interested in your opinions.

forgive the bluntness of the following:

1. What do you think the correct age range/reading level of the audience should be?

2.  Should this book be for forward thinkers, or to be subersive, like Sendak or Silverstein?

1. The idea that this could be adult propaganda as well would probably indicate that the correct age range should probably be whoever is ready to recieve it, be they child adult, or otherwise. Putting it in simple terms is only going to make it more palletable and encourage outside the box thinking. 

2. Adding a forward would probably depend on the context it is to be presented in.

If it was to be read to young children the parent or teacher would likely provide an appropriate forward.  If it was to be left to be purviewed in public places, the reader would likely decide for themself what it meant.

I endorse keeping the grammar low level for these reasons.

no one cares about your opinion
you've lost that privilage a long time ago
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on April 16, 2007, 08:26:27 PM
I don't think I can, except for in the most obvious way.  The permissions all seem to be set up correctly...the only other way would be to hide the forum from guests.  Maybe.

Not worth it.

Let's just flame the piss out of him.  Or replace his posts with Dick Cheney quotes.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Messier Undertree

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 16, 2007, 08:36:16 PM
Let's just flame the piss out of him.  Or replace his posts with Dick Cheney quotes.

:mittens: on the Dick Cheney quotes.

Jasper

nurbldoff

Neat...

I might have a go at this (the illustratin' part) if it's still on.
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

LMNO

Sho' 'nuff.

I can write out better descriptors of the pages, or you can just have at it.

nurbldoff

If you want, that might make it easier. What about style, do you think it should be fairly detailed or simple? Maybe cartoonish or more "naive", childrens book style? Would you like large, whole page images or just small ones? What about color?

Not saying I can do all of that, but I could try...

Jenne

Could I interject?

I think making the pictures more complex and visually appealing, perhaps with hidden metaphors, is the best way to go.  That makes the text richer, gives it more context if you will, and the visual appeal will eventually stimulate the doublespeak of the rest of it.

AFK

I'd stay away from cartoonish.  I think Eric Carle's stuff is a good reference point.  Simple yet engaging.  I'm probably not helping.  shutting up now. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

nurbldoff

Quote from: Jenne on April 26, 2007, 09:25:42 PM
Could I interject?

I think making the pictures more complex and visually appealing, perhaps with hidden metaphors, is the best way to go.  That makes the text richer, gives it more context if you will, and the visual appeal will eventually stimulate the doublespeak of the rest of it.

Sounds reasonable. It also means more work for the illustrator, but hey, I volunteered!

I have zero experience with drawing for kids, btw.

nurbldoff

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on April 26, 2007, 09:29:34 PM
I'd stay away from cartoonish.  I think Eric Carle's stuff is a good reference point.  Simple yet engaging.  I'm probably not helping.  shutting up now. 

Simple perhaps, but I bet there's a lot of work behind it.

Jenne

Quote from: nurbldoff on April 26, 2007, 09:46:20 PM
Quote from: Jenne on April 26, 2007, 09:25:42 PM
Could I interject?

Sounds reasonable. It also means more work for the illustrator, but hey, I volunteered!

I have zero experience with drawing for kids, btw.

Don't draw for the kids.  Draw for the material.  LMNO's words had a certain...what's the phrase I'm looking for?...appeal to the ideals of the movement.  They are simple but yet much more complex than you'd take them for.

So, if the pictures could on the outside seem very simple, but still hold inside them a double, triple, even quadruple meaning, then you illustrate the ideas behind the words.  For example, take the bird page--you have a simple bird, somewhat monochromatic to begin with.  Then you have the same bird on the next page, but shown in a different perspective to be much more complex, yet still retaining the qualities that were shown originally on the previous page.

Does that make any sense?