News:

PD.com: You're safer in New Bedford.

Main Menu

BIP for Kids (Johnny Learns About the World)

Started by LMNO, April 11, 2007, 06:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Quote from: nurbldoff on April 26, 2007, 09:50:29 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on April 26, 2007, 09:29:34 PM
I'd stay away from cartoonish.  I think Eric Carle's stuff is a good reference point.  Simple yet engaging.  I'm probably not helping.  shutting up now. 

Simple perhaps, but I bet there's a lot of work behind it.
I don't doubt it.  Ever read his Let's Make a Pancake!?  That book is pretty ingenious altogether.

LMNO

Ok, I'll draw up a script, like they do for comic books.

It'll be finished either today or Monday.

Oh, and I adore Jenne's idea.  At first I thought simple, but now I'm thinking Maurice Sendak.

Of course, this is all at Nurb's discretion, as he is generous enough to do the work.

Jenne

Sounds good.  Let me know if you need any more input.  You could even make them themed based, as well.

Also, I was thinking about how a lot of kids' books are distilled and simplified.  If you're not too tired of the PD, you could take the 23zomgpineal stuff and the BIP barstool stuff and make a series out of that too.

Lots to work with here.

nurbldoff

LMNO: Looking forward to it! I really need some project to get me drawing again... I just hope you all aren't expecting too much from me. After all, I'm not a genius.

Jenne: Sure, you're making a lot of sense and I'll keep it in mind! Keep the suggestions coming. When I think about the books I liked as a kid, I think it was often the details in the pictures that fascinated me. They often transcended the words and became interesting stories in themselves. Of course, too much "irrelevant" detail might steal focus from the actual message... or it could send other, parallel messages. Wow, this gets me thinking about Watchmen.

Anyway, I guess we're settled on something fairly detailed and realistic then? That'll take more time, of course. I guess I'll be doing some sketches and posting them just to get feedback on the style.

Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

LMNO

PAGE 1:
Full page panel.  In lower right corner, taking up about a quarter of the page, is Johnny.  He looks left.  The background is vaguely outside-ish.

TEXT:
This is Johnny.

----------------
PAGE 2:
Page cut horizontally into 2 panels.  Top panel: move closer in on Johnny, head and chest.
TEXT:
Johnny wants to learn about the world.
Lower panel is just the bridge of his nose, eyes, and eyebrows.
TEXT:
He decides that his senses will tell him about the world.

---------------
PAGE 3:
Page cut horizontally into 2 panels.  Top panel: At right is Johnny, at left is a bird sitting on the ground, wings folded.  The bird is almost wholly blue.
TEXT:
Johnny sees a bird.

Lower panel: close-up on the bird.

TEXT:
It is a blue bird.

----------------
PAGE 4:
Two panels.  The first covers 75% of the page.  It is of the bird flying off.  We see the breast, stomach, and the underside of the wings, which are red.
TEXT:
Oh, no!  It is a red bird!

Second panel, a close-up of Johnny.

TEXT:
Now Johnny knows that birds are blue and red.

----------------
PAGE 5:
Two panels, split vertically.  Left hand panel shows an apple tree, with the bird perched on a branch.  The birds red and blue feathers can easily be seen, as well as bright yellow feet.
TEXT:
Johnny sees the bird,Äôs feet.

Oh, No!  They are yellow!

Right hand panel shows another close up of Johnny.

TEXT:
Now birds are blue and red and yellow!

What other kinds of things can birds be?

-----------------
PAGE 6:
Full page.  Bird in flight, bright red apple falling.

TEXT:
Look, an apple!

The apple is red.

------------------
PAGE 7:

Two vertical panels.  In the first, Johnny has picked up the apple, and is biting into it.  NO TEXT.

In the second, close up of Johnny from behind, looking over his shoulder at the apple he is holding.  There is a single bite taken out of it, and it is brilliantly white on the inside.

TEXT
Oh, no!  The apple is white!

And the apple is sweet!

-----------------
PAGE 8:

Two Horizontal panels.  The first is the same from-behind shot of Johnny, but now there are two bite marks.  The white one is still there, but the other is a rotten brown color.

TEXT
Oh, no!  The apple is brown!

And the apple is bitter!

The second panel is a close up of Johnny.

TEXT:
Johnny knows that an apple is red and white and sweet and bitter.

What else is an apple?

---------------------
PAGE 9:

Full page.  Looking down from tree.  Up close, the tree branch has rough bark.  Far below, Johnny is leaning against the tree.

TEXT:
The tree is rough.

And the tree is tall.

---------------------
PAGE 10:
Full page.  Close up of Johnny,Äôs arm and elbow pulling away from the tree.  Threads of sap run between his arm and the tree.

TEXT:
Oh, no!  The tree is sticky!

--------------------
PAGE 11:
2 panels, first one takes up 75% of the page.  It is a pull-away shot, which shows Johnny, the apple tree, and a much, much taller fir tree.

TEXT:
Oh, no!  The tree is short!

Second panel, close up of Johnny.

TEXT:
Johnny knows that trees are rough and sticky and tall and short.

What else is a tree?

----------------------
PAGE 12:

Full Page.  Johnny in profile, pointing to something off page.  He has a look of surprise on his face.

TEXT:
Johnny sees HIMEOBS.

----------------------
END.

Jenne

Can't wait to see what nurbldoff does with this.  GREAT rendition, LMNO.

nurbldoff

Much too drunk to actually have anything meaningful to say but I think I like it. Expect something subtstantial within a few days. Or I'm a loser.

LMNO

nurbldoff

nurbldoff

Okay, here's an attempt at "Johnny". It's is quite simple, almost cartoonish maybe. I like it, but it's possibly not so well suited for closeups etc, being rather stylized. What do you think?

Bear in mind it's a sketch, I mostly want some feedback on the style. More realistic? Less? Something completely different? Also, am I on the right track concerning the character himself? (And yeah, I know his arms are a bit long.)

My scanner is refusing to cooperate atm, hence the crappy photo.

[attachment deleted by admin]

LMNO

nurbldoff

I thank you. I will return, bearing more drawings.

Jenne

Very cool!  He looks a bit clueless, but still like the "everyday man's kid"...can't wait to see the other renderings.

LMNO

nurbldoff