News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

the matrix is solved

Started by DaMan, April 23, 2007, 05:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyberus

Quote from: Cain on April 30, 2007, 06:44:18 PM
Quote from: cyberus on April 30, 2007, 06:40:34 PM
Wait until you get to the bit where you read the people's narratives about their experiences, there's some pretty awesome stories in there.  I also like his theory about a release of DMT in the brain as an explaination for UFO abduction experiences.

I'd always seen sleep paralysis as the suggestion for that.  Having suffered it myself once, I can totally understand why people would think of abduction after it.

Yeah, sleep paralysis is no fun.  Happened to me once as well, along with a hypnogogic hallucination.  I was frozen in my bed, and there was a very sinister looking vitorian era dressed man, with a gigantic tophat standing over me.  I still get gooseflesh thinking about it.

Strassman has a whole chapter of that book devoted to people's stories about their DMT experience being a (literal) trip to meet super-intelligent beings.  Sometimes experiments were performed, sometimes knowledge was shared, but all the stories had a similar description of the events, and they were akin to the generic UFO abduction story.
The bun-sellers or cake-makers were in nothing inclinable to their request; but,which was worse,did injure them most outrageously,called them prattling gabblers,lickorous gluttons,freckled bittors,mangy rascals,shite-a-bed scoundrels,drunken roysters,sly knaves,drowsy loiterers,slapsauce fellows,slabberdegullion druggels,lubberly louts,cozening foxes,ruffian rogues,paltry customers,sycophant-varlets,drawlatch hoydens,flouting milksops,jeering companions,staring clowns,forlorn snakes,ninny lobcocks,scurvy sneaksbies,fondling fops,base loons,saucy coxcombs,idle lusks,scoffing braggarts,noddy meacocks,blockish grutnols,doddipol-joltheads,jobbernol goosecaps,foolish loggerheads,flutch calf-lollies,grouthead gnat-snappers,lob-dotterels,gaping changelings,codshead loobies,woodcock slangams,ninny-hammer flycatchers,noddypeak simpletons,turdy gut,shitten shepherds,and other suchlike defamatory epithets; saying further,that it was not for them to eat of these dainty cakes...

Cain

Bump.

I know there was some recent discussion in links about this again, and I found this link, which I thought was quite interesting and made a number of good points.  I'll split the links discussion into here, if any of you want me to.

http://www.ubishops.ca/baudrillardstudies/vol1_2/genosko.htm

The salient points of the discussion:

They took the hypothesis of the virtual for an irrefutable fact and transformed it into a visible phantasm. But it is precisely that we can no longer employ categories of the real in order to discuss the characteristics of the virtual.

There have been other films that treat the growing indistinction between the real and the virtual: The Truman Show, Minority Report, or even Mulholland Drive, the masterpiece of David Lynch. The Matrix,Äôs value is chiefly as a synthesis of all that. But there the set-up is cruder and does not truly evoke the problem....

The most embarrassing part of the film is that the new problem posed by simulation is confused with its classical, Platonic treatment....

What we have invented, in order to support this suffering, is a simulated real, which henceforth supplants the real and is its final solution, a virtual universe from which everything dangerous and negative has been expelled. And The Matrix is undeniably part of that. Everything belonging to the order of dream, utopia and phantasm is given expression, ,Äúrealized.,Äù

What is notable about Matrix Reloaded is the absence of a glimmer of irony that would allow viewers to turn this gigantic special effect on its head. There is no sequence which would be the punctum about which Roland Barthes wrote, this striking mark that brings you face-to-face with a true image.

The Matrix paints the picture of a monopolistic superpower, like we see today, and then collaborates in its refraction. Basically, its dissemination on a world scale is complicit with the film itself. On this point it is worth recalling Marshall McLuhan: the medium is the message. The message of The Matrix is its own diffusion by an uncontrollable and proliferating contamination.

That is exactly what makes our times so oppressive. The system produces a negativity in trompe-l,Äôoeil, which is integrated into products of the spectacle just as obsolescence is built into industrial products. It is the most efficient way of incorporating all genuine alternatives.  There are no longer external Omega points or any antagonistic means available in order to analyze the world; there is nothing more than a fascinated adhesion. One must understand, however, that the more a system nears perfection, the more it approaches the total accident.

LMNO

Fuckin' philosophers...

Good points all around, though.

Jenne

My favorite quote on the link in Cain's post above:

Nouvel Observateur: It is rather shocking to see that, henceforth, all American marketing successes, from The Matrix to Madonna,Äôs new album, are presented as critiques of the system which massively promotes them.

It just speaks to the irony of mass marketing and how the hypocrisy reeks when an inconoclastic movement is borne of and promoted by the very system that produced it.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on May 17, 2007, 05:00:41 PMWhat is notable about Matrix Reloaded is the absence of a glimmer of irony that would allow viewers to turn this gigantic special effect on its head. There is no sequence which would be the punctum about which Roland Barthes wrote, this striking mark that brings you face-to-face with a true image.

i don't get it, what should this glimmer of irony have been?

also: HOLY THESAURUS BATMAN THOSE ARE A LOT OF BIG WORDS
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

DJRubberducky

I believe the preferred irony would be the discovery that no, actually, the flying around in spaceships and being robotic batteries was the false existence.  Possibly a metaphor for religion?
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

guest7654

The matrix is real....It is Zion that is the illusion.

oh and

Hook yourself up to the Matrix.

Mangrove

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: DaMan on April 23, 2007, 05:07:20 PM
:lulz:
how about that what do you think the correct formula of energy is?

forget it energie =a mixture of ying and yang
energy is one the one side you put energy into it and other the other side you chill

if you want to be successful in dating ugly girls you gotta flash them you gotta scare them they gotta scream i don't know with what and then you gotta relax

every girl that is fascinated by you or your intelligence and somehow weird looking guy is going to come if you wait on that

This is the Kind of Shit We Have to Put Up With Department.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.