News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

The Invisibles, by Grant Morrison

Started by Cramulus, May 05, 2007, 06:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brotep

Quote from: Risus on April 13, 2010, 11:07:03 PM
Bump- Either I cannot figure out torrents, or being on campus makes me time out.
Can I get a hand?

Come to IRC if you don't have it working yet

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Chryselephantine Shavenwolf on April 13, 2010, 11:21:48 PM
Quote from: Risus on April 13, 2010, 11:07:03 PM
Bump- Either I cannot figure out torrents, or being on campus makes me time out.
Can I get a hand?

Come to IRC if you don't have it working yet

I manage to get the DOWNLOAD link into uTorrent, but it times out before the status bar fills up.
I'm probably doing it wrong.

Other ways to go about The Invisibles?

Brotep

LMNO

Quote from: Risus on April 14, 2010, 01:19:06 AM

Go to comic book store, and give Grant Morrison some of your money.

Chairman Risus

Quote from: LMNO on April 14, 2010, 01:52:19 PM

:argh!:
He'll spend it all on hookers and drugs!

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Risus on April 14, 2010, 09:29:19 PM
Quote from: LMNO on April 14, 2010, 01:52:19 PM

:argh!:
He'll spend it all on hookers and drugs!

I would like to disclaim this as additional info, that I hope others might find interesting should they be unaware of it, and want to avoid that pedantry purges we'll soon be seeing around here.

Comic shops are set up differently from regular book stores in that they bought all their copies from the suppliers.  As I understand it, book stores can sell their unsold stock back to the publishers and break even if they risk it on an unknown title.  Comic stores don't have that luxury, in that they are stuck with whatever copies they don't sell.

In this case, Grant Morrison would have gotten his money from the issue you buy, but additional sales means the shop might buy additional copies in the future, thus giving him potential future money.  Even if they don't buy more copies, you're still supporting your local independently owned comic shop, which is also why, if you intend to buy comics, you should do so there and not at big chains.

This may have been addressed recently with Roger's MSY project, though.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Requia ☣

Does that hold true for the collected volumes though?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 15, 2010, 04:46:15 AM
Does that hold true for the collected volumes though?

AFAIK anything in the comic shop has been purchased by the comic shop.  Really I can only be certain about monthly issues, and anyone who knows more about the industry is welcome to correct me (Suu said she knew quite a bit in another thread, and Dok, as I mentioned, is doing the MSY project).

Creator-owned comics are a relatively recent thing as well, so royalties might not even be an issue.  I think there was something about Alan Moore not seeing any money from Watchmen unless it stopped printing and was re-released.  Well it's been in its first printing for over twenty years now, so he gets nothing.

Again, this is all just stuff I've heard from one place or another.  Considering the guys who invented Superman died without a cent to their names I'm inclined to believe it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

h-town

My only problem with the Invisibles is that Frank Quitely didn't pencil the whole series  :argh!:

I've read the entire thing about five times over the years, probably my favourite comic (a close 2nd is Transmetropolitan.) Maybe I've done too many drugs in my time, and also doing them while reading his work, but Morrison's writing really speaks to me. There is a weird mental sincerity going on with his pet projects, like some benevolent occulty force blossoming your mind and is just on the cusp of really fucking you up. I really dug the symbolism of the outer church being insectoid because they are larval form. I also loved reading the letter section, like when he begged his audience to jerk off and imagine better sales.

Doom Patrol is really good too, definitely some points of brilliance in there. His mainstream stuff with Justice League and X-Men is also worth checking out but alas it's no where near as awesome as his strange works. Seaguy, Flex Mentallo, and Zenith are all great. And All-Star Superman is just perfect.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Disinfo published an annotation guide to the Invisibles. Even if it's mostly crap (which is probably isn't -- they did it in conjunction with Morrison), it's worth having a copy.

I think I have a PDF of it around somewhere. I can provide if necessary.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

h-town

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on April 16, 2010, 03:03:23 AM
Disinfo published an annotation guide to the Invisibles. Even if it's mostly crap (which is probably isn't -- they did it in conjunction with Morrison), it's worth having a copy.

I think I have a PDF of it around somewhere. I can provide if necessary.

Yea I got the pdf floating around somewhere as well.. I think it spoils the fun though. I don't need a disinfo book to tell me how arcane bananas them arcane bananas is. Still a good read but I was more interested in the interviews and such rather than a frame by frame walkthrough. There's a series of books on Morrison, the first one is called Grant Morrison: The Early Years, and I think it leads up to his work with Animal Man (which I've yet to read) and the next one should be out soon which I (speculative) imagine will cover the invisibles. Looking forward to both actually.

BadBeast

Quote from: h-town on April 16, 2010, 04:23:08 AM
Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on April 16, 2010, 03:03:23 AM

Grant Morrison: The Early Years, and I think it leads up to his work with Animal Man (which I've yet to read) and the next one should be out soon which I (speculative) imagine will cover the invisibles. Looking forward to both actually.

Morrison's stint on Animal Man, was such a change from the work he did with Fleetway, Esp ON 2000AD, (which I loved too) and shows a maturity, and scope that was either missing before, or maybe DC, with their groundbreaking Vertigo concept, (and their love of British talent) saw his potential, and gave Morrison total creative control, but the direction he took Buddy in, was like a breath of fresh air, to what was already one of Vertigo's best titles. The meeting between Grant Morrison, and Buddy, was a truly inspired touch, that just shouldn't work at all as a concept,  it is a testament to Morrison's talent that it actually does.
But my favourite "hidden gem" of Morrison's is the one off title for Vertigo, "Kill your Boyfriend". It has been reprinted a couple of times, and I re-read it again, (for about the 50th time) yesterday. It still had me in fucking stitches. To compare him to Alan Moore, is not really fair though, both of them have  staggering talent and depth, and it makes me try to decide which one I prefer.  I can only come to the conclusion that I prefer Morrison. And Moore. Equally, if that makes any sense. And don't even get me started on Neil Gaiman.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Brotep

I prefer Moore over Morrison because of his whole "narrative as magic" thing, while Morrison strikes me as more haphazard and drug-induced. Love them both, though.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Brotep on April 27, 2010, 03:27:03 PM
I prefer Moore over Morrison because of his whole "narrative as magic" thing, while Morrison strikes me as more haphazard and drug-induced. Love them both, though.

To be fair, Morrison claims to be the inventor of 'narrative as magic' -- and claims that The Invisibles was the first hypersigil. But, it's a matter of intent, and also bullshit since narrative incantations have been recorded since around 4000 BC.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Faust

I hate the prefer such and such thing when regarding writers. They have very different styles and qualities, both are incredibly good writers and each suits a certain mood that the other does not.
Sleepless nights at the chateau