News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

The Invisibles, by Grant Morrison

Started by Cramulus, May 05, 2007, 06:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadBeast

Quote from: h-town on April 16, 2010, 01:12:24 AM
Seaguy, Flex Mentallo, and Zenith are all great. And All-Star Superman is just perfect.

I had totally forgotten about Zenith. (Probably when I first became aware of Morrison)
And WE3 TP. Eerie, dark, and provocative. With the added bonus of cute fluffy animals. Nikolai Dante wasn't too bad either.
But the way he brought such a perfect mix of humour and darkness, to Animal Man was beautiful. The peripheral characters also seemed to develop well, along with Buddy. In fact, the character of Cliff was explored, perhaps as deeply as Buddy's was, and little Maxine too.  Jamie Delano was nearly as good, but Morrison proved himself to be a real heavyweight in Animal Man. Loved it.   
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

h-town

The first phase of zenith is still my favourite. The others get too muddled, too busy, too incoherent at times. For me Morrison is at his best when he's not trying so hard to be the meta-comic genius he advertises himself to be.

Kill your boyfriend is boss.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Epimetheus

Hope I'm not too late. I love this series. I also love The Filth and Flex Mentallo.

Quote from: h-town on April 16, 2010, 01:12:24 AM
I've read the entire thing about five times over the years, probably my favourite comic (a close 2nd is Transmetropolitan.) ...Morrison's writing really speaks to me. There is a weird mental sincerity going on with his pet projects, like some benevolent occulty force blossoming your mind and is just on the cusp of really fucking you up.
Seconded.

As for the PDF of the Disinfo book, come on guys - look a page back. Burns linked it.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

DeusExMachina

This is a great video of Grant Morrison at the Disinfo Con years ago, interesting and insightful at points.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6148569602584070911#

Also if anyone wants to buy any invisibles comics i have a load i am going to ebay ill sell the cheap to you guys, if your interested pm me and ill tell you what i have.
'Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.'
-George Carlin

'Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.'

- Albert Einstein

DeusExMachina

-George Carlin

- Albert Einstein

Cramulus

'Sigil' as a word is out of date. All this magic stuff needs new terminology because it's not what people are being told it is at all. It's not all this wearying symbolic misdirection that's being dragged up from the Victorian Age, when no-one was allowed to talk plainly and everything was in coy poetic code. The world's at a crisis point and it's time to stop bullshitting around with Qabalah and Thelema and Chaos and Information and all the rest of the metaphoric smoke and mirrors designed to make the rubes think magicians are 'special' people with special powers. It's not like that. Everyone does magic all the time in different ways. 'Life' plus 'significance' = magic. (Grant Morrison, 2004)

Cramulus

I'd say to myself or whoever I was with, 'It'll look good in the biography.' and then I'd go ahead and do whatever daft thing it was - like taking acid on the sacred mesa or doing the bungee-jump, getting the haircut, dancing with the stranger, talking to the crowd - whatever I was 'scared' of mostly, or fancied doing, or never dared before, I'd try it on the basis that it would make for a more interesting read one day. (2004) [16]

When Nietzsche said God is dead, he forgot to mention that Satan died in the same horrific accident. [17]

Otherwise, I know I'm often wasting my breath and electronic ink saying this, but the "real-world" is a pretty weird place where lots of inexplicable things happen all the time, and I like to catch the flavor of that too. It just seems more modern and authentic to me as a storyteller. The "real world" doesn't come with the neat thee-act structures and resolutions we love to impose on it, and if repeated doses of movie and TV-storytelling have convinced anyone that it does, it's time to get out and about a bit. The real world is filled with ghost stories, non sequiturs, inexplicable mysteries, dead ends and absurdities, and I think it's cool to season our comfortable fictions with at least a little taste of what actual reality is like. [18]

BadBeast

Quite the Philosopher, on the quiet then,
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Faust

Quote from: Cramulus on November 04, 2010, 03:00:19 AM
I'd say to myself or whoever I was with, 'It'll look good in the biography.' and then I'd go ahead and do whatever daft thing it was - like taking acid on the sacred mesa or doing the bungee-jump, getting the haircut, dancing with the stranger, talking to the crowd - whatever I was 'scared' of mostly, or fancied doing, or never dared before, I'd try it on the basis that it would make for a more interesting read one day. (2004) [16]

When Nietzsche said God is dead, he forgot to mention that Satan died in the same horrific accident. [17]

Otherwise, I know I'm often wasting my breath and electronic ink saying this, but the "real-world" is a pretty weird place where lots of inexplicable things happen all the time, and I like to catch the flavor of that too. It just seems more modern and authentic to me as a storyteller. The "real world" doesn't come with the neat thee-act structures and resolutions we love to impose on it, and if repeated doses of movie and TV-storytelling have convinced anyone that it does, it's time to get out and about a bit. The real world is filled with ghost stories, non sequiturs, inexplicable mysteries, dead ends and absurdities, and I think it's cool to season our comfortable fictions with at least a little taste of what actual reality is like. [18]

Goddam, Gmo rocks.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

BadBeast

How he ever finds the time to run a successful Supermarket chain as well, beats the shit out of me! (Off to charge up my sigils Nectar Card now)   :fap:

DeusExMachina

-George Carlin

- Albert Einstein

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Hal Phillips

I am now the captain of this thread.

Triple Zero

Dude, I'm pretty sure you misspelled your name.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.