News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Yet another effort, gentleman, if we are to become Discordians!

Started by Cain, May 09, 2007, 12:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on May 10, 2007, 05:17:34 PM
It has something to offer, true.  The key is packaging.  I think the basic concepts would be very appealing to a young person, especially one who's feeling he/she's losing their way, or drowning in their community or society.  At the same time, a kid isn't going to want to look too geeky, thus the packaging comment.  Kids still want to impress other kids, especially the opposite gender.  Kind of hard to do if you are seen as the Wizard of Wierd. 

suggestion:

Dr. Cow Ass

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on May 10, 2007, 05:17:34 PM

It has something to offer, true.  The key is packaging.  I think the basic concepts would be very appealing to a young person, especially one who's feeling he/she's losing their way, or drowning in their community or society.  At the same time, a kid isn't going to want to look too geeky, thus the packaging comment.  Kids still want to impress other kids, especially the opposite gender.  Kind of hard to do if you are seen as the Wizard of Wierd. 

Good Point. Most people who get into the occult and other fringe ideas do so becuase their looking for something that makes them unique and hopefully important. Like everyone, they want to find and fill their own nitche (sp.) That's why the CoN has been winning so long, they perpetuate and control the mainstream, realizing that most people think those who  are interested or involved in fringe subcultures are wierd and therefore undesireable/evil/wrong/etc.

And it's true, we are pretty weird. 

If you want discordianism to catch you gotta make it look cool, at least in Western Societies.
I bring the Spicy.

Cain

The CoN controls the counterculture.  FACT.  Don't believe me?  Mouth off about how shit Crowley was, or how Burroughs wrote some awful crap and wait until you get ostracized.  Even better, look at what happened when James Curcio helped bring ARG's to the mainstream.  Its a rotten, fetid structure all the way down and so long as we rely on yesterday's idols we are prematurely killing tomorrow's heroes.

LMNO

Solution?

I mean, I know any entrenched idea, no matter how radical, will eventually show the same behaviors as the mainstream, but how does one avoid this?

tyrannosaurus vex

planning the way to avoid it is futile. then you're inevitably going to build on it, using it as a foundation.

you have to force yourself to adapt faster than the CoN can corner you.

and the only way to do that is through intentional self-sabotage.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

LMNO

AFK

Quote from: vexati0n on May 10, 2007, 08:22:32 PM
planning the way to avoid it is futile. then you're inevitably going to build on it, using it as a foundation.

seems like a constant stream of new-blood would be necessary for this, or at least a vital component.  To help adapt. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

That One Guy

Quote from: Cain on May 10, 2007, 08:13:22 PM
The CoN controls the counterculture.  FACT.  Don't believe me?  Mouth off about how shit Crowley was, or how Burroughs wrote some awful crap and wait until you get ostracized.  Even better, look at what happened when James Curcio helped bring ARG's to the mainstream.  Its a rotten, fetid structure all the way down and so long as we rely on yesterday's idols we are prematurely killing tomorrow's heroes.

:mittens:
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

LHX

Quote from: vexati0n on May 10, 2007, 08:22:32 PM

nice
neat hell

tyrannosaurus vex

Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

LMNO

Quote from: LMNO on May 10, 2007, 08:15:44 PM
Solution?

I mean, I know any entrenched idea, no matter how radical, will eventually show the same behaviors as the mainstream, but how does one avoid this?

Adios

I guess the depth of the issue is a surprise to me. I talk to the young all the time, from all mindsets, and lead them to where I want them and allow them to think it was their thought process that did it. Fresh blood is always important. The other point is for something to be permanent it must be fluid, changeable, adaptable. And so must the people involved. Last point is misdirection. The stage magicians trick, wave something shiny over while you're working over there.

Excellent points Cain.

LHX

perhaps its not the idea that needs to be radical inasmuch as the approach to handling and developing new ideas is radical

part of the problem is this:
although every waking moment is, technically, unpredictable, what we are experiencing right now is a situation where there is a illusion of predictability

to the point of dependency on this predictability

the counter argument that i often hear to this is that you cannot build anything without some dependable foundation

the thing is - that makes sense as well

the trick is to determine WHAT is actually dependable

there is stability in motion

order/disorder balance
neat hell

Dr. Cow Ass

Quote from: Cain on May 10, 2007, 08:13:22 PM

Do you mean getting ostracized by those within the counter-culture?  If you "Mouth off about how shit Crowley was, or how Burroughs wrote some awful crap" within a subculture that identifies itself and supports these figureheads, of course you're going to be ostracized.

Just because a counter-culture may be opposed to the mainstream doesn't mean that it's free from all the bullshit that plagues the mainstream too. People already talked about the elitest Magickal orders, similar to the Yacht/ Country clubs of popular culture. There's rivalries, disagreements, and yes, hardcore popularity contest(Think Mathers-Crowley.) Plus the counter culture isn't free of idiots, as a matter of fact, the fringe population has given birth to some of the biggest dumbasses of our time. However, this isn't always the case. As we all know, many(if not most) of the greatest geniuses of our time were once considered fringe idealist. The trick is to have the wisdom to know the difference. 
I bring the Spicy.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.