News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Extended Mind.

Started by Kai, September 06, 2009, 02:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brotep

Quote from: fictionpuss on September 06, 2009, 03:33:11 PM
Quote from: rong on September 06, 2009, 03:22:07 PM
the door swings both ways?
Maybe - it's certainly tempting to wonder if they are both examples of a singular mechanism, by which the mind naturally extends itself outside the body.

I dislike the idea of calling it a mechanism.  This is the realm of things like phenomenology...You won't find any "moving parts" that mechanically do what you're describing.

But sure, the identification of a tool as part of your limb and "interfacing" with a car such that it becomes an extension of yourself are both examples of transparency.  That is, neither case requires deliberate reflection, and neither is intuitively grasped in a reductionistic fashion.

Kai

Quote from: Anton on September 09, 2009, 08:44:10 PM
Quote from: fictionpuss on September 06, 2009, 03:33:11 PM
Quote from: rong on September 06, 2009, 03:22:07 PM
the door swings both ways?
Maybe - it's certainly tempting to wonder if they are both examples of a singular mechanism, by which the mind naturally extends itself outside the body.

I dislike the idea of calling it a mechanism.  This is the realm of things like phenomenology...You won't find any "moving parts" that mechanically do what you're describing.

But sure, the identification of a tool as part of your limb and "interfacing" with a car such that it becomes an extension of yourself are both examples of transparency.  That is, neither case requires deliberate reflection, and neither is intuitively grasped in a reductionistic fashion.

Emergence ftw.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Richter on September 09, 2009, 05:44:24 PM
General thoughts on it though, I use, and consider tools like my computers or phone extensions of my Central Nervous System (CNS).  The interface may be physical, but I'm using them to perform functions, store data, and sort info more quickly and easily than the meat brain portion could. 

Do we (and if so WHERE do we) draw the line between our consciouness / CNS and other's when dealing with shared information in a social setting?

I'd take the traditional transhumanist viewpoint and say that the distinction is arbitrary. We deal with groupings of units of similar size in biology (Kai, if I make any huge mistakes here, correct me because I'm no biologist) -- cells get together to form tissues, tissues get together to form organs, organs get together to form systems, systems get together to form people, and people (eventually) get together to form civilizations. The distinction between something made of cells (us) and something not made of cells but necessary for our functioning as a society-unit (computers and telephones, to some extent, and to a greater extent eyeglasses and pens) is also arbitrary because the division is based on 1) if it is made of cells, and 2) whether or not it can be detached from us. Someone else can use my pen, but probably not my arm. My laptop is a grey area, and if I had a wetwire into the internets, the implanted BCI hardware would be probably closer in 'me'-ness to my arm than my pen.

I'd argue for a model where we talk about people-units, non-person units, and some units that move between people or carry information between people and/or non-person units.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Kai on September 06, 2009, 02:03:32 PM
I understand that consciousness actually extends to the limit of our sensory systems (and not just located in our brains)

What exactly do you mean here?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Richter

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on September 10, 2009, 01:11:15 AM

I'd argue for a model where we talk about people-units, non-person units, and some units that move between people or carry information between people and/or non-person units.

I like your cells / body analogy for the concept.  Hard for us as the "cells" to understand the total shape and function of the collective pseudoconscious that our various interacting information creates though. 

I'd also include some consideration for different communication methods and venues with however it's discussed, myself.  Same way that not all cells have direct address to a blood vessel or lymph node, not all people can read, will watch TV, or use the internet. 
Comparing the general vs. controlled distributions in both situations is intersting too.

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 10, 2009, 07:01:13 AM
I understand that consciousness actually extends to the limit of our sensory systems (and not just located in our brains)

Kai could explain in more detail, but I've got a few ideas.  Think about phantom limbs, or how various stimulation to the vagus nerve can affect mood.   
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Brotep

Beyond that, even, because we can grasp certain things beyond the scope of our sensory systems (but not beyond the scope of perception).

Kai

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 10, 2009, 07:01:13 AM

Our consciousness is a product of our whole neural/sensory network, and since that network is located throughout our bodies, consciousness extends that far, and doesn't just sit up in our heads. In other words, your consciousness is in your hands and feet, because your neural network is in your hands and feet too. Nothing metaphysical to it. In fact, you can understand this connection deeper by just focusing on that part of your body. It IS very easy to loose sight of this, since four out of five senses are confined to the head area.

Quote from: Anton on September 10, 2009, 02:13:42 PM

Beyond that, even, because we can grasp certain things beyond the scope of our sensory systems (but not beyond the scope of perception).

I wasn't quite willing to go that far.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Brotep

Quote from: Kai on September 10, 2009, 02:18:35 PM

I don't mean supernatural powers or anything, I'm just talking about the way we have a sense (not as in detection, but as in lingering awareness) of the space around us, even in areas momentarily outside our field of vision.

Kai

Quote from: Anton on September 10, 2009, 10:37:56 PM
Quote from: Kai on September 10, 2009, 02:18:35 PM

I don't mean supernatural powers or anything, I'm just talking about the way we have a sense (not as in detection, but as in lingering awareness) of the space around us, even in areas momentarily outside our field of vision.

I guess that must be what some psychologists mean by "the skin and slightly beyond" that they add on to the end of the rest of it. You're right, we do have an internal sense of space, based on all the senses put together, of airspace and boundaries, and also by mental imaging.