News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Idiocracy

Started by Forteetu, July 15, 2007, 03:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forteetu

I'm probably coming pretty late to this movie, but has anyone seen Idiocracy?
http://imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

I just watched this the other night after seeing a review on one of the movie shows. It didn;t rate very well with the show hosts, but I was thankful for the info anyway and did a little digging until I found a copy.

Cheesy and over the top, but I thought brilliant! A fun mock-up of where the dumbing-down of today's society could be headed. When the guy says he got his law degree at Cosco and only got in because his father was alumni ... I was pissing myself.

Just wondering, anyone else seen this? Like it? Dislike it? I heard it did not rate well in the USA.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
WOMP'd

Episkopos of the Discordian Society

http://42.dia.net.au - Forteetu

Slarti

i saw it and i couldn't stand it. It just seemed like a lot of weird product placement and stupid jokes. It had a good concept but i think it was taken to too much of an extreme.

Forteetu

Quote from: Slarti on July 15, 2007, 04:32:14 AM
i saw it and i couldn't stand it. It just seemed like a lot of weird product placement and stupid jokes. It had a good concept but i think it was taken to too much of an extreme.

dunno ... i figured extreme was what it was about

i wasn't expecting anything close to a serious take, so the complete over-the-top idiocy was on the money for me. i couldn't really expect high-brow comedy in a movie called "Idiocracy"
WOMP'd

Darth Cupcake

I saw it and had to stop part way through. I haven't actually finished it. It just seemed entirely too plausible and it hurt me.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Richter

My hell, it hurts just thinking about it.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

That One Guy

I watched the intro/first five minutes of that movie, and was both laughing my ass off at the absurdity of it all and horribly depressed by the not-too-far-from-possible aspect of it all. While I've heard almost nothing but praise for it I doubt I could watch it since it's a paranoid fantasy that hits a little too close to home for me.

I've SEEN both types of people from the intro - the rednecks that breed like rabbits and the intellectuals that put off children until it's too late or impossible biologically. While I HOPE that this won't come to pass, it's hard not to fear that something very close to that is much closer than I would like.
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Arguing with a Unitarian Universalist is like mud wrestling a pig. Pretty soon you realize the pig likes it.

Forteetu

I guess that's what I liked about it so much. Extreme over the top stupidity, a piss-take, but such a  plausible one in the face of today's trends. It hit close to home and that was awesome to me.

"Language had devolved into a mixture of hillbilly, valley girl, and inner-city gansta. Joe could understand them, but when he spoke he sounded pompous and faggy to them."

...damn well done I thought
WOMP'd

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I thought it was interesting and funny, though not nearly as funny as it could have been.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Kimmy Gibbler

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 16, 2007, 06:39:18 PM
I thought it was interesting and funny, though not nearly as funny as it could have been.

But it has electrolytes!
      /
:joshua:
KIMMY GIBBLER:  SERIOUS FUCKING BUSINESS

The Littlest Ubermensch

Enjoyed it. Funny and smart, but could've been funnier.
[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

Iron Sulfide

-what's wrong with me?

-well, it says here, "you're shit's all retarded and you talk like a fag."

i give the movie two dogs up and a hearty wag.
conceptually, the movie was spot-on. and neither did it lack in the
sharp-shooter humor. i didn't care for the ending, though.

alas, if they were to the point that they were watering their crops
with a salty sprts drink, i don't think they would have lived long enough
for the hero to come into the mix. one red tally for being overly
optimistic.

and the ending was trite, i thought.

but i loved that they turned the national sport into a sort of
"The Deadliest Game" meets "American Gladiators".

on the national note, though, i didn't like that it was only in the united states,
and nowhere else in the world was depicted. for-shame.

all-in-all, though...a good movie, and very motivational.
Ya' stupid Yank.