News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Enough

Started by Jasper, May 15, 2007, 03:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Felix on May 15, 2007, 04:35:14 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 15, 2007, 04:26:37 AM
What the fuck is a "science of the mental"?

My favorite new catchphrase, that's what. :lulz:

:lulz:

I saw it first!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

B_M_W

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on May 15, 2007, 04:35:48 AM
Quote from: Felix on May 15, 2007, 04:22:46 AM
Quote from: Dr. Cow Ass on May 15, 2007, 03:58:12 AM
Some consider the paranormal/ occult phenomena as science that has yet to be explained. I consider this the most logical because if it's not a science of the physical world then it of course would a science of the mental. As far as humanity perceives, there's really no difference between the two. Mastering and learning the secrets of one will have the same results as the other.

I can't consider myself an ape, mabey a parasitic cell in global bacteria disease, but not an ape. Apes don't trash the world and organize order to control other apes. Sure, sometimes they may ban together, but they never enslaved one another. Humans are a slightly intelligent virus that's slowly sucking the earth of its resources and life. You look at the world from space and see the major cities, they don't like pinnacles of engineering and process. They look like dark, grey bacteria that spit smoke and smell like a nasty infection (especially LA.)

At least that's one view. 

Paranormal occurrences are never proven.  Find one example of anything spiritual being backed with reputable hard evidence, and I'll delete this rant consider a spirituality.

What about that toasted cheese sandwich that had the Virgin Mary's face on it?

Its called Pareidolia, and it works using the face recognition part of the brain. We deal so much with faces that we subconciously look for anything with "similar" "characteristics" in any thing, and any object. Its the whole recognition system of the body.

Dude, haven't you ever looked for shapes in clouds? Same thing.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Deepthroat Chopra

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 15, 2007, 04:40:59 AM
Quote from: Netaungrot on May 15, 2007, 04:38:46 AM

Easy.  But, don't delete your rant pls.

QuoteResearchers at the Maharishi School of Management in Fairfield, Iowa, found that meditation has a pervasive effect on stress. They looked at a group of people who had meditated for four months and found that they produced less of the stress hormone cortisol.

Source

How many times has this been verified?

And...

"Maharishi School of Management"?

I don't think there's anything "paranormal" about meditation.
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

QuoteResearchers at the Maharishi School of Management in Fairfield, Iowa, found that meditation has a pervasive effect on stress. They looked at a group of people who had meditated for four months and found that they produced less of the stress hormone cortisol.

Source

And...

"Many times..." apparently.

It's an accredited university.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on May 15, 2007, 04:45:07 AM

Source

And...

I don't think there's anything "paranormal" about meditation.

I do.

I get cranky when I don't "meditate". :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Netaungrot on May 15, 2007, 04:45:56 AM

Source

And...

"Many times..." apparently.

It's an accredited university.

So is the McDonald's management school.

But I don't trust them to do medical studies, either.

Besides, as has been pointed out, "meditation" isn't paranormal in the least.  It's just "relaxing really hard".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on May 15, 2007, 04:47:12 AM
BMW: "Its called Pareidolia, and it works using the face recognition part of the brain. We deal so much with faces that we subconciously look for anything with "similar" "characteristics" in any thing, and any object. Its the whole recognition system of the body.

Dude, haven't you ever looked for shapes in clouds? Same thing."

Dude?  :lulz:

D/N/T BMW on these things.

B_M_W

Source

And...

I could dig up sources showing that meditation has a positive effect on stress. I could also dig up sources that show tibetan monks having the physiologic ability to increase their body temperature to the point where they can dry freezing wet robes draped over them.

Neither of those things have to do with religion though, and certainly nothing paranormal. Its all very powerful psychosomatic responce. Very interesting, and very useful, and also very physical in its evidence. No paranormal shit here.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.

Shit

Spirituality is just the art of making shit disappear by slamming the door in their face.
So long, and thanks for all the shit.

Deepthroat Chopra

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on May 15, 2007, 04:43:23 AM
Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on May 15, 2007, 04:35:48 AM
Quote from: Felix on May 15, 2007, 04:22:46 AM
Quote from: Dr. Cow Ass on May 15, 2007, 03:58:12 AM
Some consider the paranormal/ occult phenomena as science that has yet to be explained. I consider this the most logical because if it's not a science of the physical world then it of course would a science of the mental. As far as humanity perceives, there's really no difference between the two. Mastering and learning the secrets of one will have the same results as the other.

I can't consider myself an ape, mabey a parasitic cell in global bacteria disease, but not an ape. Apes don't trash the world and organize order to control other apes. Sure, sometimes they may ban together, but they never enslaved one another. Humans are a slightly intelligent virus that's slowly sucking the earth of its resources and life. You look at the world from space and see the major cities, they don't like pinnacles of engineering and process. They look like dark, grey bacteria that spit smoke and smell like a nasty infection (especially LA.)

At least that's one view. 

Paranormal occurrences are never proven.  Find one example of anything spiritual being backed with reputable hard evidence, and I'll delete this rant consider a spirituality.

What about that toasted cheese sandwich that had the Virgin Mary's face on it?

Its called Pareidolia, and it works using the face recognition part of the brain. We deal so much with faces that we subconciously look for anything with "similar" "characteristics" in any thing, and any object. Its the whole recognition system of the body.

Dude, haven't you ever looked for shapes in clouds? Same thing.

OK, pareidoia explains the face in the sandwich.

Tell me then, smart guy, how do you explain that woman in Mexico who had the Virgin Mary's face burnt into her nachos skillet? Hmm?
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on May 15, 2007, 04:51:06 AM

Tell me then, smart guy, how do you explain that woman in Mexico who had the Virgin Mary's face burnt into her nachos skillet? Hmm?

Payne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 15, 2007, 04:52:25 AM
Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on May 15, 2007, 04:51:06 AM

:potd:

Fuckin swote!

Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on May 15, 2007, 04:48:52 AM

Source

And...

I could dig up sources showing that meditation has a positive effect on stress. I could also dig up sources that show tibetan monks having the physiologic ability to increase their body temperature to the point where they can dry freezing wet robes draped over them.

Neither of those things have to do with religion though, and certainly nothing paranormal. Its all very powerful psychosomatic responce. Very interesting, and very useful, and also very physical in its evidence. No paranormal shit here.

Paranormal ≠ spiritual.

Paranormal = religion.

I think it's an important distinction.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Netaungrot on May 15, 2007, 04:56:46 AM
Quote from: Buddhist_Monk_Wannabe on May 15, 2007, 04:48:52 AM

Source

And...

Paranormal ≠ spiritual.

Paranormal = religion.

I think it's an important distinction.

Hey...how did you get the not-equals sign? Alt + what?