News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

Lost Keys

Started by guest7654, May 17, 2007, 12:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest7654

Quote from: Cain on May 19, 2007, 11:05:58 PM
I disagree.  Its like saying Theology and Physics are nearly the same, because both go into into areas with overlap, sometimes.  By your definition, everything from airplanes to the sun could be considered gods, in some sense.

Which is really fucking stupid.

Well, many things have been considered gods in some since.  Not that it isn't stupid. 

A quote from closertogod.net from an email sent by a freemason
QuoteFreemasonry is essentially exactly what your web site claims to be; an attempt to understand God, and our relationship with whatever it is we find God to be.

This was kind of my point.  What is God?  If you say there is no God, then couldn't you reevaluate your definition or concept of God.  Now while the term "higher power" obviously implies God, I feel that it is less specific.  But I could be wrong.  The masons frequently say, The Great Architect of the Universe, which seems to imply intelligence or a being, but could also just mean a personification of nature and its laws.  Which wouldn't even have to go against an atheist or an agnostic view.  Even though they wouldn't accept an atheist or agnostic into their fraternity(or so i hear.)

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cain on May 19, 2007, 11:52:17 PM
But your argument isn't characteristic derived, as far as I can tell.  It seems more of a precept, or style of thinking.

that's what I'm saying. To my way of thinking, "higher power" doesn't even factor into it. Allow people to realize that they have more power over themselves than anyone or anything else does, that's all. It really doesn't even have anything to do with conventionally-defined "spirituality". "Higher power" as it is construed in the popular lexicon is a fucking joke.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Adios

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on May 20, 2007, 03:25:08 AM
Quote from: Cain on May 19, 2007, 11:52:17 PM
But your argument isn't characteristic derived, as far as I can tell.  It seems more of a precept, or style of thinking.

that's what I'm saying. To my way of thinking, "higher power" doesn't even factor into it. Allow people to realize that they have more power over themselves than anyone or anything else does, that's all. It really doesn't even have anything to do with conventionally-defined "spirituality". "Higher power" as it is construed in the popular lexicon is a fucking joke.

Exactly. Our walls are of our own making. No one but us can build them, and no one but us can remove them. It's all about living with our decisions, not a higher power.

Mangrove

QuoteFreemasonry is essentially exactly what your web site claims to be; an attempt to understand God, and our relationship with whatever it is we find God to be.

Only true if you accept the definitions of Freemasonry as laid down by the Anderson Constitution of the United Grand Lodge of England. The Grand Orient of France accepts atheists into their ranks. UGLE and anyone adhering to their parameters do not.

(Yes, that's extremely hairsplitty.  :lol:)

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cain

Then again, the Grand Orient also allow Mafia and ex-Fascists into their ranks, too....

Mangrove

I picked up a cheesy paperback the other day called 'Papal Magic' written by someone called Simon. He said that there was a Cardinal of the RC church that was at one time, a member of the OTO.

I can't tell you how much I hope that turns out to be true.

Cain

Wouldn't surprise me.  I mean, Crowley and many Vatican priests share the same hobbies, if you catch my drift....

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Mangrove on May 20, 2007, 06:20:09 PM
I picked up a cheesy paperback the other day called 'Papal Magic' written by someone called Simon. He said that there was a Cardinal of the RC church that was at one time, a member of the OTO.

wonder if this simon is the same con-artist Simon that reportly wrote the necronomican
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Mangrove

Quote from: Cain on May 20, 2007, 06:24:54 PM
Wouldn't surprise me.  I mean, Crowley and many Vatican priests share the same hobbies, if you catch my drift....

Paedophillia?

Of all the things Crowley has been accused of, I'm fairly sure that isn't one of them. Or are you thinking of something else?  :lol:

Mangrove

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on May 20, 2007, 06:27:40 PM
Quote from: Mangrove on May 20, 2007, 06:20:09 PM

wonder if this simon is the same con-artist Simon that reportly wrote the necronomican

correct. same guy.

i did say 'cheesy paperback' in my OP  :wink:

Cain

Quote from: Mangrove on May 20, 2007, 06:33:04 PM

Paedophillia?

Of all the things Crowley has been accused of, I'm fairly sure that isn't one of them. Or are you thinking of something else?  :lol:

Oh, thats right, all that shit in the Book of Law etc is metaphor.  My bad.

Mangrove

Quote from: Cain on May 20, 2007, 06:42:23 PM
Quote from: Mangrove on May 20, 2007, 06:33:04 PM

Paedophillia?

Oh, thats right, all that shit in the Book of Law etc is metaphor.  My bad.

:fnord:

Cain

Too much Icke reading. :sad:

Mangrove

Quote from: Cain on May 20, 2007, 07:16:29 PM
Too much Icke reading. :sad:

i knew a couple of guys who were into readin Icke for lulz. they said he was the best author for 'turd in the punchbowl' writing.

they were like: "ok...bush as an alien lizard taking over the world i can accept as a metaphor. but saying it's troof? turd in the punchbowl."

Cain

Yeah, I'm the same.  If it was fiction, or even metaphor, it would be awesome, and Icke would likely be rolling in it, cash-wise.  But no, he has to ruin all the fun....