News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

It's pronounced EE-RIS.

Started by Shit, May 19, 2007, 08:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discord

She needs those boots for ass kicking.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jasper

Dress and boots is SEX.

Scotsmen in kilts know this to be true.

hooplala

The day an ancient Greek shows up at my door is the day I will put some stock in how an ancient word is meant to be pronounced, until then I will continue to pronounce Eris as 'nixon's festering corpse'.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Hoops, I believe, is riding the correct motorcycle:

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mourning Star

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 19, 2007, 08:40:51 AM
Quote from: Benaclypse on May 19, 2007, 08:38:07 AM
I was surfing an astrology article about the new dwarf planet Eris somewhere @ www.karmaastrology.com ::headshots several zodiac killers before they can even think about sporking up teh stars:: and found out that Eris is pronounced "EE-RIS".
And all this time I was pronouncing it "ARSE"

You're both wrong.

It's pronounced the same as "Heiress".

Yep.  Eris <---> Paris Hilton.

You heard it here first.

as per RAW

it's pronounced "Air Reese"

or something...

~Angel
Likes it RAWWWWWWWWW

bubz_the_troll

Eris is pronounced Discord.  Or Quonk if it's partly cloudy and 72 degrees.

Jasper

It's actually pronounced by typing it.  Like people actually TALK about this publicly. :roll:

Discord

Quote from: Mourning Star on June 01, 2007, 07:40:45 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 19, 2007, 08:40:51 AM
Quote from: Benaclypse on May 19, 2007, 08:38:07 AM
I was surfing an astrology article about the new dwarf planet Eris somewhere @ www.karmaastrology.com ::headshots several zodiac killers before they can even think about sporking up teh stars:: and found out that Eris is pronounced "EE-RIS".
And all this time I was pronouncing it "ARSE"

You're both wrong.

It's pronounced the same as "Heiress".

Yep.  Eris <---> Paris Hilton.

You heard it here first.

as per RAW

it's pronounced "Air Reese"

or something...

~Angel
Likes it RAWWWWWWWWW

Thats how we pronounce it in german.
And we never had the discussion how to....

morons  :lulz:

LMNO

Quote from: Felix on June 02, 2007, 08:33:16 PM
It's actually pronounced by typing it.  Like people actually TALK about this publicly. :roll:

:mittens:

Bogus Magus

You see the problems you get into if you don't use E-Prime!

You can't meaningfully say "it is pronounced this way" - only "I pronounce it this way".

I don't even share RAW's Brooklyn accent, coming from the UK.  As we invented the language, and I speak 'received standard' English I figure I could tell you that I (at least) pronounce the 'e' as in pet, and the 'i' as in pit.  Both short vowels, just as it says in the Oxford English Dictionary.

I hate to appear eristic about it.    :evil:

If you believe that Eeristic nonsense because Merriam-Webster pronounces it that way then I guess you live out there in the ex-colonies.  M-W pronounce water like warder, for Eris's sake!
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down     "Tubthumpin" – Chumbawamba

LMNO

Hey Mags,

We're all pretty much versed in E-Prime.  We just don't use it much, because it decreases the Lulz-flow, which deflaites the Lail.

And without Lail, no LOL.

But whatever.  Just wanted to give you a heads up about the pedantry.

Bogus Magus

I know how pedantic I can get - but if you don't like that I'll just pretend I am right and you are all wrong :roll:

It isn't pronounced ee-ris, but eh-ris....
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down     "Tubthumpin" – Chumbawamba

LMNO

Heh.  I still like Felix's answer the best, though.