News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

It's pronounced EE-RIS.

Started by Shit, May 19, 2007, 08:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Payne on June 04, 2007, 08:56:49 PM
Quote from: Darth Cupcake on June 04, 2007, 05:00:43 PM
Quote from: SillyCybin on June 04, 2007, 04:27:35 PM
The english language is a piss poor, piece of shit way of communicating. It needs to be raped, murdered and set on fire before it's any use to anybody.

This is why they built scotland.  :lulz:

It needs to be raped, murdered, set on fire, and then gotten drunk via drinks served in skulls with umbrellas!

I heart Scotland all because of this forum! :D

Yes, but loving Scotland won't save you.

Actually I fully expect it will kill and/or damn me!
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Cain

I could tell you how to really pronounce it (I asked a friend who speaks Ancient Greek).

But I wont.

Because I'm mean.

And my demands have not been met.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Cain on June 04, 2007, 09:04:46 PM
I could tell you how to really pronounce it (I asked a friend who speaks Ancient Greek).

But I wont.

Because I'm mean.

And my demands have not been met.

Are your demands, by any chance, "moar tentacles"?

-DC
Has wanted to learn Ancient Greek for a while; twitching to start grad school!
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Cain

My demands are well known to all, and shall not be repeated.

Also, I hear Ancient Greek is kinda dull.  It could just be my friend, she was never the most linguistically minded and only wanted to do the Classics for lack of anything else worthwhile, but from what I read of it, its kinda dry.

Bogus Magus

Quote from: SillyCybin on June 04, 2007, 04:27:35 PM
The english language is a piss poor, piece of shit way of communicating. It needs to be raped, murdered and set on fire before it's any use to anybody.
Entonces, si usted prefiere hay dos verbos que significan 'to be' en espa?±ol - "Estar" y "Ser"

¬øintente utilizar espa?±ol en lugar de otro, quiz?°?

¬øEspa?±ol-prime?

Ou pr?©f?©rez-vous le fran?ßais ?

I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down     "Tubthumpin" – Chumbawamba

Payne

No, it doesn't.

Because the scots haven't been able to decently mangle it yet.

Mourning Star

I was honestly just bullshitting about the way RAW said it...

personally I pronounce it aloud as EhRiss

and I pronounce it online as *click clickyclick click*

hooplala

He actually did pronounce it kind of fucked up, though . . . I can't remember how now, but it was different from my pronunciation, which is remarkably mundane (air-iss) - you can hear it in the Maybe Logic movie . . . it was either EE-ris or Air-ees, but I can't remember which.

Either way, it made me throw my army-boot at the tv.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Minja

Hi, I'm new around here.  Been reading for a day or so.  I suppose now that I'm not lurking anymore I should go post on that introductions thread or something.

Actually, Mourning Star, you may have been just bullshitting about how RAW pronounced Eris, but you were spot on - he did say Air-Reese, basically.  He also pronounced PD "Prinkipia Discordia."  Heard it with me own ears, I did...

But I still say "air-is" and "Prinsipia"... I loved that old man Papa Bob, but I liked my pronunciations better... and besides, I got the impression he really didn't like people thinking or saying things just cuz he did... I remember him telling me once, with a rather serious look on his face, "one should remember that 'fan' is short for 'fanatic.'"

Cain

Hey there.

Doesn't RAW tend to slur his words anyway, because of some illness or something?

I prounounce it Aer-is.  I'm pretty certain thats the correct Greek way, though I may have to check again.  Its been a while since I did that stuff.

Cramulus

Hi Minja! Welcome aboard!

I'm curious - how did you know Bob? Are you one of the MLA folks?

hunter s.durden

Quote from: Cain on June 07, 2007, 09:01:41 PM
Doesn't RAW tend to slur his words anyway, because of some illness or something?

No.

He's Dead. He stopped talking.
This space for rent.

Cain

And being dead isn't an illness?

hunter s.durden

This space for rent.

Payne

Quote from: Cain on June 07, 2007, 09:01:41 PM
Hey there.

I prounounce it Aer-is.  I'm pretty certain thats the correct Greek way, though I may have to check again.  Its been a while since I did that stuff.

Aeris?

Sorry, I just played it once!