News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Core Themes of Discordia

Started by Cramulus, May 22, 2007, 05:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: hunter s.durden on August 16, 2007, 06:20:43 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on August 16, 2007, 06:17:58 PM
Quote from: hunter s.durden on August 16, 2007, 06:13:57 PM
I'll live my life by that then...

Just as soon as you explain its pertinence...

pertinence? pertinence? Since when does a Pun need pertinence?

Noone asked you, fuckface.

Unless you're both an Art Major AND a Really Real....

I'm an Art Major.  Well, social sciences, but since that is a crock of shit anyway...

hunter s.durden

But you're not a real discordian.

I learned on myspace today that you can't be an angry discordian.

The happy, jokey nature of the PD prevents it.
This space for rent.

PeregrineBF

PD is happy and jokey? Since when?

Cain

Quote from: hunter s.durden on August 18, 2007, 06:26:41 PM
But you're not a real discordian.

I learned on myspace today that you can't be an angry discordian.

The happy, jokey nature of the PD prevents it.

I am a Really Real Discordian (for Realness).

Anyway, I want you to remind me of this on Sept 24th.  The Myspace Discordians clearly missed certain punchlines (because last time I checked, I can do pretty much what I want, with the whole book being contradictory) and helping to reeducate them could be...amusing, at least.

hunter s.durden

Aye, Aye.

Getting them pissed is fun, because it breaks down that "I'm so wacky and happy," thing they have going.

Quote from: PeregrineBF on August 19, 2007, 06:30:45 AM
PD is happy and jokey? Since when?
But some of the pages are written sideways, and the margins are unconventional! Sooooooo outlandish!
This space for rent.

PeregrineBF

It's silly and weird, but that doesn't make it all happy. It's about chaos, and anyone who wants to be chaotic can't have such restrictions, unless one is determining restrictions in a chaotic manner (That meta-series can continue on up indefinitely, but you get the point.)

Chairman Risus

the point isnt pure chaos. it has alot to do with the lulz.

the hodge-podge should have made that clear.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

It appears to me that many Discordians see the Happy, Hippy Discordian view when they read the PD, many see the violent chaotic side, some see the metaphysical side, others see philosophical anarchy, some see a lame joke, some see nothing at all.

I am reminded of the small note scribbled in the margins of the PD:

This Book is a mirror. When a Monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. - Lichtenberg

I wonder... which view is the Monkey's view?
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

AFK

I didn't say it.  It was that guy over there ------->

LMNO

Quote from: Ratatosk on August 20, 2007, 04:15:44 PM
It appears to me that many Discordians see the Happy, Hippy Discordian view when they read the PD, many see the violent chaotic side, some see the metaphysical side, others see philosophical anarchy, some see a lame joke, some see nothing at all.

This Book is a mirror. When a Monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. - Lichtenberg

Some would counter with:  "While the Principia is like a sewer (in that what you get out of it depends on what you put into it), the question should be asked: 'which perspective is the most useful in our current sociopolitical situation'?"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on August 20, 2007, 04:54:39 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on August 20, 2007, 04:15:44 PM

Some would counter with:  "While the Principia is like a sewer (in that what you get out of it depends on what you put into it), the question should be asked: 'which perspective is the most useful in our current sociopolitical situation'?"

Well, I suppose that it would depend on several factors, not the least of which would be the "sociopolitical" position of the individual. Some people like our current situation. Some people like the current sociopolitical system minus GWB and the GOP. Some people find the entire concept of government repulsive and still others don't seem to care, one way or the other about the doings of government.

For those that like our current situation, they would point to the attempted ascendancy of Muslim extremism and claim that the War in the ME is Creative Chaos, ie it is chaotic, but the birth of democracy is worth the chaos necessary to create it.

For those that like the US' democratic system and are of a Liberal mindset, supporting the Dems may seem like Creative Order, or an attempt to make good on the Sermon on Ethics and Love.

For those that find any government impossible, they can lay claim to the Discordian seasons and support the freedom of Aftermath and Chaos, by bringing down the whole bureaucracy, supporting either Dems or the GOP might be seen as Destructive Order.

As for the others, there's plenty in the PD which can be interpreted as a personal, solo model which applies only to an individual and how that individual chooses to live their life.

So which is the monkey and which the apostle?

LMNO

What, only two choices?

I demand another 3 options!

AFK

Fuck you and your un-Discordian Black and White Hell World!!!