News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Core Themes of Discordia

Started by Cramulus, May 22, 2007, 05:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest7654

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: PeregrineBF on August 17, 2007, 03:27:40 AM

Let's give religion 4 paramaters:
A, B, C, and dT.
A = Number of Gods believed in.
B = Number of Commandments
C = Average number of small children molested by the clergy, per week.
dT = 0.03 because that's a good number, and it makes what I'm doing next look nice, though that won't change the point in any way whatsoever.

So, yeah. Discordianism one particular path through the set of all beliefs in the phase space of all beliefs, and unlike most religions our path hits every point in the phase space, though not all with equal frequency.

That was beautiful and completely bullshit. You get Extra Credit!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Shinigami715

Quote from: PeregrineBF on August 17, 2007, 03:27:40 AM
"Um... yeah.
Wouldn't it be easier to say "all is one", and stop the conversation right there?"

Not really, since all isn't one. That's silly.
All can be represented by a point traveling through phase space, but the sheer number of dimensions needed to do so is insane.
One needs position, momentum, charge, mass, strong & weak nuclear force, etc. So at least 10 dimensions for each of the 10^80 particles in the universe.
So all is 1/(10^82) and that one keeps jumping around constantly. And it's actually a lot bigger than that.

Let's give religion 4 paramaters:
A, B, C, and dT.
A = Number of Gods believed in.
B = Number of Commandments
C = Average number of small children molested by the clergy, per week.
dT = 0.03 because that's a good number, and it makes what I'm doing next look nice, though that won't change the point in any way whatsoever.

We'll plot points with X, Y, Z co-ordinates as follows:
x'=x+ad(y-x)
y'=y+d(bx-y-zx)
z'=z+d(xy-cz)

So if someone tells you they are seeing that the universe is truly One and that they are One with everything, they are lying.

So, yeah. Discordianism one particular path through the set of all beliefs in the phase space of all beliefs, and unlike most religions our path hits every point in the phase space, though not all with equal frequency.

Well it makes perfect sense to me.
                    /

This thread was better with seals.
                              /

Payne

Quote from: Payne on August 16, 2007, 09:21:15 PM
"We're never ever ever gonna survive, unless we get a little bit cray-zee!"
                                     /

TOO LATE!

PeregrineBF

Of course it's total bullshit, I'm trying to explain Chaos theory and the application thereof to theology in one post. Such oversimplification means everything I said is, in some way, wrong. However, it will give a basic understanding of the underlying concepts (hopefully) and maybe get people to understand more via their own research.
But probably not.
However, I made pretty pictures to go with it, which makes it both easier to understand and more amusing. Robert L Devaney's paper on the Dynamics of Simple Maps would be a good starting point to really understanding this, and I CAN scan it all, there's nothing too complex... (It's undergraduate level math, really.)

For now just copy/paste it and use it as an OMF I guess.

To sum up:
Any given Discordian might believe anything at any point in time (unlike other religions, who's members only believe certain sets of things) but Discordianism as a whole has certain beliefs that are orbiting at least one strange attractor and would make really cool pictures if we could compute that stuff.

Imagine a big box. Each point in the box (X, Y, Z) is one set of religious beliefs. A few thousand/million for the Catholics, a few million for the Jews, etc, etc. Little clouds, and some of them might overlap. But pretty much all those little clouds are confined, they don't spread very far. You don't get Jews who believe in Ramses and Odin, if they do that they aren't Jews.
Discordianism's cloud fills the WHOLE BOX. We can believe ANYTHING. Now, our cloud IS denser at some points. More of us believe in Eris or something similar, so there is a bit of a cluster around the "chaos" side. But I know one Discordian who is a devout Catholic. Goes to church and everything. It might all change next Tuesday, but he's spreading that Discordian cloud out to overlap the others.
Discordians can believe anything, and we know it. This wreaks havoc with finding core beliefs, because some of us are bound to disbelieve the ability of a true Discordian to believe in anything (after all, someone has to not believe that!)...
So I present it as a bit of Chaos theory, since putting it into math makes it easier to understand. It also lets us make pretty pictures and describe things with relation to the Chaos in quantum mechanics and such, which adds even more fun.

LMNO

Pere, it seems you put some amount of thought into that.

However, I also notcied you're over 50 posts, so I'll say this:

That's one of the biggest crocks of shit I've ever seen. 

However, I'll also say this: If I ever come across a Christian forum that contains a higher math section, I'll be cross-posting this.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on August 17, 2007, 01:49:45 PM
Pere, it seems you put some amount of thought into that.

However, I also notcied you're over 50 posts, so I'll say this:

That's one of the biggest crocks of shit I've ever seen. 

However, I'll also say this: If I ever come across a Christian forum that contains a higher math section, I'll be cross-posting this.

I agree that it is Bullshit, but as the margins of the PD say... Bullshit makes the flowers grow and that is beautiful! I have no problem with a Discordian's explanation being an insane mix of nearly science, sorta theory, muddled models, metaphor and illustrations.

LMNO

Bullshit may make the flowers grown, but a crock of your own shit will give everyon else e.coli.

Shinigami715

Quote from: LMNO on August 17, 2007, 06:39:19 PM
Bullshit may make the flowers grown, but a crock of your own shit will give everyon else e.coli.

Thats going on a t-shirt.

:lulz:

LMNO

Gawdamn, I really fucked the typing up on that one.

LMNO
-caught a case of teh horab.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

LMNO

Boy, you Discordians know how to take the fun out of everything.

LMNO
-Hypocrite.

Mangrove

Quote from: LMNO on August 17, 2007, 07:22:27 PM
Gawdamn, I really fucked the typing up on that one.

LMNO
-caught a case of teh horab.

It's ok. I edited it before sending to 'Post Of The Day'.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

PeregrineBF

My theory is true. It's totally useless, of course, since it would require a set of equations that could describe all belief, but if they did exist then I think they would have certain properties, and those properties that they probably have define Discordianism rather nicely.

So, yes, it's bullshit. But it makes pretty pictures, and those are nearly as good as the flowers.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: PeregrineBF on August 17, 2007, 09:38:25 PM
My theory is true. It's totally useless, of course, since it would require a set of equations that could describe all belief, but if they did exist then I think they would have certain properties, and those properties that they probably have define Discordianism rather nicely.

So, yes, it's bullshit. But it makes pretty pictures, and those are nearly as good as the flowers.

Hail Yes!