News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

Dead thread - posted in error

Started by Bogus Magus, June 05, 2007, 12:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Bump.

Because Bogus Magus is still butthurt.

QuoteAh well, I ain't gonna re-read it all. I never thought I'd see this thread again.

As the person who originally wandered out of this delightful MLA zone, (all naive about internet) with my hippie-trippy smile, looking for like-minded people, I shambled into the Principia Discordia site (wanting to link it, as I have, on the Only Maybe blog) and tried to open a thread for fellow newbies, after finding myself mistaken (?) for some naive idiot. Cosmic Schmuck, yes. Naive idiot? Only about money.

I then did a little local provocation by trying to create a self-referential Ourouboros thread (which had worked over here) and just succeeded in annoying the natives. (you can't keep re-editing your posts, apparently, it confuses people, and the timeline of linear conversation!)

I played around, got flamed, had a few amiable words by PM with people there who said they had too often been invaded by 'silly' people (or whatever you call young people who just discovered the joys of acting wicked, anarchic, noisy and stuff). I felt mildly upset that no-one recognised intelligence and provocativeness when they saw it, then made my apologies and left.

No hard feelings. We had a few jokes upon my return to this tribe, as I told the story of the big, wide, wicked world and my 'adventures' - and I never thought I'd see this thread again!

If you could see the earlier incarnations of this 'friendly forum' you'd know I did a bit of guard-dog myself - and got notorious for it at times...really wound up some of the magick folk.

So you can put me down as 'hypocrite', too.

I missed the gentleness, and the sense of humour (humor) with which we attempted to deal with people who came in and kicked off, here. (And I don't mean the mechanical 'spam' that got pretty annoying, but real people).

Many stayed, some became friends and regulars, others moved on. I, myself, calmed down, tried to 'graduate' after three years here, and no longer feel any need to defend the ethos.

But it remains the same.

If you can't achieve tolerance, at least attempt courtesy.

RAW made it quite clear that he had E-Primed that on purpose. Don't think of it as "If you can't be tolerant, at least be courteous." The struggle seems more evident, between attempting and achieving.

Oh, did I say this before? A new generation might prefer to feel 'doomed' and gloomy about the Black Iron Prison (I love a bit of PKD myself), but I prefer Bob and Bucky's mad optimism. And the jokes.

Just a personal preference.

Posted....2 days ago, on the MLA forum.

Mangrove

If you had not bumped, I would not have recalled. It took me a while to even realize someone called Bogus Magus had even posted here.

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

hooplala

Which one was the MLA forum?  Maybe Logic Academy?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

I forgot about this guy.

Looking back, we might have been a little harsh.

Then again, he might have been kind of a dick.

Cain

He started an 8 page thread on MLA about how terrible PD.com is.

I believe Cramulus has read it all, I'll get around to it at some point.

Nigel beat the shit out of him though, so its all good.

Cramulus

Over at MLA (Maybe Logic Academy) he did say he was being intentionally argumentative.

Here's some snippets from his posts at MLA, during this incident:

Bogus wrote:
I started one slightly venomous sarcastic thread [I'd just been beaten up like my friend who just got mugged for the fifth time in Springfield, Illinois] for newbies to hang out in, and now it won't go away, and I started a fucking war, it seems.  Believe it or not, I empathise with Bush/Blair for a moment. :woohoo:

The PMs I have had back from ppl make it sound as though I could fit in, but if the job involves kicking new people then I don't want it.  I like to welcome new people in, and find how to get them to tune in, so we can have some fun! People I don't like I either ignore or walk away from. Simple stuff, seems like there's loads of room.

It reminds me (did Borsky call it Beirut out there?) of my month in Israel (oh, dunno, back in the 80s) when I simply couldn't find what the fight was about, between two Semitic peoples with slightly different belief systems  - based on the same stories! Cousins. Living in a tough climate.  But I don't have any knowledge of how you solve these things. The Brits haven't sorted out Northern Ireland in 300 years. (oh, cousin religions again, can I see a pattern?)

Planet of the Apes, mate.  But I do regret it if I have raised the MLA profile (now we have a public side) when we had such a civilized place going on.

Read Huxley's last novel (forget Brave New World) - "Island" - he imagines a mini-paradise of psychedelia and rational/emotional education, but at the end the tanks come rolling in, or is it the oil-prospectors, I can't remember?

I fucked up guys, through my unarmoured (yet sarcastic) approach, and I hope I didn't drag MLA into it. But mosbunall of them don't accept apologies over there.

I'll still go visit the smart and intelligent posts, but now I set off the 'Rottweillers with nothing else to do' you may still get a few more visits.  Hey ho. So it goes.

You may hate me now.

LOL

QuoteBogus wrote:
QuoteMeh, they see us as a cosy little group, living in a bubble. I've had PM exchanges with a few, and so on.

I explained we knew about the 'cosy' part, and several of our people had mentioned it in previous MLA forums (especially if you have no money for a subscription), but I figure that's why Admin opened it out.  In other words, their impression of us remains out-of-date. So perhaps some good may come of this anyway. It'd better, I have stayed up until 4 a.m. (local time) when I still have to go work in the morning.

Now they gave me a moustache job I almost feel welcome!

And I really did act like a dickhead, but boy I had fun - don't you just love getting pointlessly malicious and argumentative some times?  Perhaps I finally got tired of acting polite and responsible around here...

Or maybe I really 'am' a dickhead. I just find that a very limited form of abuse.

Like Steve Martin in Roxanne I want to go the dartboard, and then offer 20 better insults than 'big nose'.  But not right now, I gotta get some sleep.

G'night.

and now I repost this image

Cain

hooplala

This thread, in a nutshell, is the inherent danger of Discordianism.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mangrove

Was he conducting a sociological experiment?
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cain

Quote from: Hoopla on February 14, 2008, 08:42:45 PM

That you end up posting spiteful threads on MLA?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on February 14, 2008, 08:27:13 PM
He started an 8 page thread on MLA about how terrible PD.com is.

I believe Cramulus has read it all, I'll get around to it at some point.

Nigel beat the shit out of him though, so its all good.

:thanks:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on February 14, 2008, 09:39:08 PM

That you end up posting spiteful threads on MLA?

No, you just might become like Bogus Magus . . . the Cosmic Schmuck factor is supposed to help in these circumstances, but I'm sure he thinks the same applies to us.  The difference here is that he is lumping everyone on this board together, despite the fact that most of us wouldn't be able to agree on what to get at a restaurant, let alone agree on anything else. 

He still smugly assumes he one-upped all of us, when he's really just a twat.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Jasper

Would one go so far as to say it were the cancer killing Discordianism?

Mourning Star

And now, for you...I impersonate Bogus Magus.

BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
also...

Magickian...