News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Hello, I am a Christian Discordian

Started by imposter, June 07, 2007, 08:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

In all honesty, you might be able to break it down this way:

Jesus was a rebellious upstart who turned Judaism on its head.  Good start.

He said, "you are all gods" ----> Cf: "you are all pope".

He spoke in a lot of contradictions.

From there, you can get into the Gnostic stuff.  You can usually find some weird shit there that will back up a Discordian mindset.  Check out the Gospel of Judas.  It claims that YHVH is actually a demented bloodthirsty demon, which pretty much lets you off the hook as far as the whole "Big Daddy" worship goes.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/

Cain

Pretty much most religions can be combined with Discordianism, if you take a non-institutionalized view.

Sufism + Discordianism, for example, also works.

Welcome, btw

Payne

Quote from: imposter on June 07, 2007, 08:32:26 AM

Ricky ruined my fucking life, Julian,

I just like this quote. From The Trailerpark Boys right?

Jenne

Quote from: LMNO on June 07, 2007, 01:09:46 PM
In all honesty, you might be able to break it down this way:

Jesus was a rebellious upstart who turned Judaism on its head.  Good start.

He said, "you are all gods" ----> Cf: "you are all pope".

He spoke in a lot of contradictions.

From there, you can get into the Gnostic stuff.  You can usually find some weird shit there that will back up a Discordian mindset.  Check out the Gospel of Judas.  It claims that YHVH is actually a demented bloodthirsty demon, which pretty much lets you off the hook as far as the whole "Big Daddy" worship goes.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/

On the Christianity I grew up with, Discordianism wouldn't work at all.  That "think for yourself, Schmuck!" schtick comes to a full and complete stop.

Gnosticism is not mainstream Xty.  Quite the opposite.  The furthering of arcane knowledge is a total antithesis to what Xty espouses to be.

LMNO

I didn't see anthing in th OP about which kind of Christian he was referring to...

Jenne

Well...gnostic Christians ARE somewhat thin on the ground.  Your point is well-taken and it's often one used to well...support the notion you can be Xtian and ____________.  Like Christopagan, for instance.

ETA:  the use of calling God "Jehovah" in the OP is also interesting.  It's more of an Old Testament referent.

LMNO

True.

I was just Starbuck-ing my way through, seeing if I could align Xtianity & Eris.

Jenne

I'm sure it can be done...bullshit holds the whole world together, as it were.

bubz_the_troll

The Judeo-Christian God is not called Jehovah.  That is a misinterpretation of YHWH that goes back to the Crusades.

Years ago when I was in high school, a Jehovah's Witness interrupted my summer vacation to ask me why I thought no one called God by his name. I said I didn't know.  Later I thought about it and realized that no one ever says shit like "You Jehovah damned motherfucker".

Doktor Loki

To speak his foul name is to bring his attention to yourself, and that is not a wise idea.
Not a Doctor?  Why, of course I'm a Doctor!  Why else would I have this scalpel?      ~Doctor Mad

"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man."
- William Shakespeare

"If you hear crazy voices in your head which tell you to do something, even something evil, YOU'D BETTER FUCKING DO IT BECAUSE IT MIGHT BE GOD." - Soren Keirkegaard

Jenne

Quote from: bubzThe Judeo-Christian God is not called Jehovah.  That is a misinterpretation of YHWH that goes back to the Crusades.

Years ago when I was in high school, a Jehovah's Witness interrupted my summer vacation to ask me why I thought no one called God by his name. I said I didn't know.  Later I thought about it and realized that no one ever says shit like "You Jehovah damned motherfucker".

That's a good point...and in point of fact, Christians often use Jehovah without any notion of and in complete ignorance of said fact...

Cain

Deepthroat Chopra

Quote from: Jenne on June 07, 2007, 09:52:12 PM
Quote from: bubzThe Judeo-Christian God is not called Jehovah.  That is a misinterpretation of YHWH that goes back to the Crusades.

Years ago when I was in high school, a Jehovah's Witness interrupted my summer vacation to ask me why I thought no one called God by his name. I said I didn't know.  Later I thought about it and realized that no one ever says shit like "You Jehovah damned motherfoocker".

That's a good point...and in point of fact, Christians often use Jehovah without any notion of and in complete ignorance of said fact...

I use Jehovah, purely for sex.
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

Mourning Star

Quote from: imposter on June 07, 2007, 08:32:26 AM

"Propane, propane,
time to start the flame,
Ricky ruined my fucking life, Julian,
so I just want a little
propane, propane,
propane, propane,
it's time to start the game..."

TPB quotes = win...

Jenne

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on June 07, 2007, 11:55:13 PM
Quote from: Jenne on June 07, 2007, 09:52:12 PM

Years ago when I was in high school, a Jehovah's Witness interrupted my summer vacation to ask me why I thought no one called God by his name. I said I didn't know.  Later I thought about it and realized that no one ever says shit like "You Jehovah damned motherfoocker".

I use Jehovah, purely for sex.

Careful...last chick who did that ended up on the back of a donkey and giving birth in some flea-infested haymound.