News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

Hello, I am a Christian Discordian

Started by imposter, June 07, 2007, 08:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Wigwam Jones on August 02, 2007, 02:12:30 PM
Fortunately, I am wearing asbestos y-fronts.

:eek:

I suppose that's one method of birth control... I like it!
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

AFK

Quote from: vexati0n on August 02, 2007, 01:58:43 PM
Don't mind the troops.  It's just that around here, internet lifeforms like bots and alts have more personality than the regulars.  You're kinda weird, which logically demands that you can't actually be a human being.
I take no offense at the poking and prodding.  I don't act like the standard n00b, which is always confusing, I know.  I usually whack things like me with a stick.  Fortunately, I am wearing asbestos y-fronts.

why?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Wigwam Jones

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 02, 2007, 02:57:01 PM
Quote from: vexati0n on August 02, 2007, 01:58:43 PM
Don't mind the troops.  It's just that around here, internet lifeforms like bots and alts have more personality than the regulars.  You're kinda weird, which logically demands that you can't actually be a human being.
I take no offense at the poking and prodding.  I don't act like the standard n00b, which is always confusing, I know.  I usually whack things like me with a stick.  Fortunately, I am wearing asbestos y-fronts.
why?
No, "Y."  Wearing 'why-fronts' would be very interesting, though.
"A beneficent providence has dimmed my powers of sight, so that, at a distance of more than four or five yards, I am blissfully unaware of the full horror of the average human countenance." - Aldous Huxley

AFK

That's easy.  Just go to your local department store and buy the most outlandish pair of boxers you can.  You wife will be asking why on a regular basis. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Lies

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 02, 2007, 03:11:24 PM
That's easy.  Just go to your local department store and buy the most outlandish pair of boxers you can.  You wife will be asking why on a regular basis. 

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Darth Cupcake

Outlandish beats boring!

-DC
Tired of removing a dude's pants only to discover he is wearing boring, solid boxers. Talk about killing the mood!

Mourning Star

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on August 02, 2007, 03:22:48 PM

Outlandish beats boring!

-DC
Tired of removing a dude's pants only to discover he is wearing boring, solid boxers. Talk about killing the mood!

Maybe someday you pull down pants to discover dude is a girl
BIG SURPRISE!

Lies

Quote from: Mourning Star on August 02, 2007, 03:47:28 PM

Outlandish beats boring!

-DC

BIG SURPRISE!

Remember: Pics or it didn't happen.
- Oh it exists, and how!

Mourning Star

Quote from: Lysergic on August 02, 2007, 03:50:08 PM
Quote from: Mourning Star on August 02, 2007, 03:47:28 PM

Outlandish beats boring!

-DC

BIG SURPRISE!

Remember: Pics or it didn't happen.

HAI FIVE!

Triple Zero

Quote from: Pope Naughty Nasturtiums on August 02, 2007, 03:13:54 AMI'm a Christian.
But I suspect I'm not very good at it.  :sad:

Mostly because I don't care about the church. And I don't really care if God exists.
I'm mostly in it for the lulz.

QuoteI did not know that being a Christian was about caring about the Church.

as far as i know, being "a christian" in the vaguest sense of the word means you gotta believe that jesus christ is the son of god and died for your sins. believing his death was done by crucifixion is, while the most widely accepted, i'm not sure if it's strictly mandatory.

apart from that, you can make up whatever you want and go with it.

it's what all the schisms, fractions, factions etc do as well. beware of the more orthodox fundamentalists, they may get angry if you believe it the wrong way (but really, there's no pleasing anyone)

if you're going to be discordian, you are required to think for yourself schmuck, and thereby discover that the whole jesus story is a load of crap. fortunately, due to your newly discovered discordian powerz you can still continue to believe in loads of crap (it's just not always the smart thing to do). you are, however, strictly forbidden from taking it seriously anymore.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

Quote from: triple zero on August 02, 2007, 03:57:17 PM
if you're going to be discordian, you are required to think for yourself schmuck, and thereby discover that the whole jesus story is a load of crap.

objection, your honor! Discordian thought does not require that you arrive at this conclusion.

Christians believe in, and worship Christ
Discordians "believe" in and "worship" Eris, but there are tons of Discordians that don't. And their version of "belief" and "worship" is often significantly different from Xtians.

I guess the question is whether one is a Christian Discordian or a Discordian Christian. I see these as two entirely distinct though illusory monsters. Both totally irrelevant, because I've recently discovered the truth and the light and the way: Dog Rapism.

Lies

Fuck all this discordian and Christian and Catholic and religious dog raping.

I'm a zenarchist. I'm going to blow up the state of mind!
- Oh it exists, and how!

Triple Zero

uhm

i mean in the way that there's no historical proof of jesus, that the whole resurrection and water-into-wine and other miracles can't possibly have really happened, etc. the usual conclusions you draw about fairytales when you take a step back and think about it, really.

if you're gonna be both, be both. now, discordianism allows for multiple paradigms, so that's good. our basic minimalist christianity just asks for belief in the above mentioned fairytale.
which leads me to the conclusion that the max you can do, is to be a discordian/part-time christian. because full-time belief in the fairytale will interfere with clear thinking.

now

QuoteDiscordians "believe" in and "worship" Eris, but there are tons of Discordians that don't. And their version of "belief" and "worship" is often significantly different from Xtians.

first, i think that's erisians. but blah semantics never mind. second, how is this relevant? (because their belief and worship is different, that it really doesn't matter in this context)

QuoteI guess the question is whether one is a Christian Discordian or a Discordian Christian. I see these as two entirely distinct though illusory monsters.

um, am i supposed to intuitively understand the subtle difference in meaning due to the juxtaposition of these words?

(hm i used the word "juxtaposition", but it made the sentence look like a trainwreck, still. SO MUCH FOR LITERACY)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Wigwam Jones

Quote from: triple zero on August 02, 2007, 03:57:17 PMas far as i know, being "a christian" in the vaguest sense of the word means you gotta believe that jesus christ is the son of god and died for your sins. believing his death was done by crucifixion is, while the most widely accepted, i'm not sure if it's strictly mandatory.

That's pretty close, in my experience.  A minor fix-up from my point of view would be:

1) Accepts that Jesus is the the Son of God, or Christ.
2) Believes that He was Crucified for your sins.
3) Accepts Jesus as your personal Savior.

There's a lot of other stuff, depending on which flavor of Christianity we're talking about, but a lot of that is dogma rather than Scriptural.

apart from that, you can make up whatever you want and go with it.

People do.

it's what all the schisms, fractions, factions etc do as well. beware of the more orthodox fundamentalists, they may get angry if you believe it the wrong way (but really, there's no pleasing anyone)

You'd be surprised about how laid-back the Jesuits are, but in general your point is quite valid.

if you're going to be discordian, you are required to think for yourself schmuck, and thereby discover that the whole jesus story is a load of crap. fortunately, due to your newly discovered discordian powerz you can still continue to believe in loads of crap (it's just not always the smart thing to do). you are, however, strictly forbidden from taking it seriously anymore.

Actually, you can take it as seriously as you wish.  But you must recognize the validity of every other chamber you hold within your mind, too.  Bringing conflicting belief systems into close proximity to each other inside your noggin without your brain melting down is one of the tests of a Holy Infidel.  Like forcing two magnets together the 'wrong way' or licking a 9-volt battery.  Zowie.
"A beneficent providence has dimmed my powers of sight, so that, at a distance of more than four or five yards, I am blissfully unaware of the full horror of the average human countenance." - Aldous Huxley

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: triple zero on August 02, 2007, 04:15:37 PM
QuoteI guess the question is whether one is a Christian Discordian or a Discordian Christian. I see these as two entirely distinct though illusory monsters.

um, am i supposed to intuitively understand the subtle difference in meaning due to the juxtaposition of these words?

(hm i used the word "juxtaposition", but it made the sentence look like a trainwreck, still. SO MUCH FOR LITERACY)

This might be one of those linguistic things. I don't know how Dutch works, but I know shuffling around adjectives like that in French doesn't change the meaning at all. In fact, it might even make it incorrect and thus more confusing.

But I THINK what Cram is getting at is:

Christian Discordian: someone who is primarily Discordian, but with attributes of the Christian. I am not sure how that works, but I'm going to run with it for the moment.

Discordian Christian: A Christian, but with Discordian leanings, such as perhaps believing in Jesus/the crucifixion, etc, but also believing in the ideas of chaos, mindfucking, etc.

Did that clarify at all? My brain isn't working quite right just now (need moar coffee and less high heels) but I think that got the basic idea down. Perhaps someone else can help expand a little?