News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

Hello, I am a Christian Discordian

Started by imposter, June 07, 2007, 08:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Hoopla on June 06, 2008, 01:34:43 PM
I still don't get what the point of that would be.

I dunno... that motherfucker caused a hell of a lot of chaos over the past 2000 years.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

Quote from: Ratatosk on June 06, 2008, 03:57:50 PM

I dunno... that motherfucker caused a hell of a lot of chaos over the past 2000 years.

:?

that would be the people doing shit in that "motherfucker"'s name and a shitload of politics and religion. i dunno how exactly the motherfucker himself could be responsible for it, they just took some (could have any, really) tiny seed of a meme, used his name (well, not really), turned him into an icon, and proceeded to cause chaos.

add to that, what you're basically suggesting here is that a Christian Discordian (if they would exist) would be someone that gets his kicks of Strife and Discord from the crusades and christian religious wars? ... veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery, interesting. i dunno if i'd want to meet one, though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: triple zero on June 06, 2008, 04:14:37 PM

:?

that would be the people doing shit in that "motherfucker"'s name and a shitload of politics and religion. i dunno how exactly the motherfucker himself could be responsible for it, they just took some (could have any, really) tiny seed of a meme, used his name (well, not really), turned him into an icon, and proceeded to cause chaos.

add to that, what you're basically suggesting here is that a Christian Discordian (if they would exist) would be someone that gets his kicks of Strife and Discord from the crusades and christian religious wars? ... veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery, interesting. i dunno if i'd want to meet one, though.

Well, you make a good point, we don't even know if the poor bastard ever actually existed ;-)

But, yea... maybe a Christian Discordian would exult in the chaos and discord sown by the self-proclaimed followers of Jesus...

Eris got her kicks on the battlefield, I'm sure she didn't confine her mirth to just the Greek and Roman conflicts ;-)

AFK

I personally know a Christian Discordian as I've talked about in the past.  Chuck Full-O-Pope is a Christian Discordian.  He's a really cool joe.  He has his belief in Jesus, but, he also believes in Discordian ideals like Nonsense as Salvation, Think For Yourself, etc.  Not all Christians are single-minded idiots like Pat Robertson and his flock.   
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on June 06, 2008, 04:33:26 PM
I personally know a Christian Discordian as I've talked about in the past.  Chuck Full-O-Pope is a Christian Discordian.  He's a really cool joe.  He has his belief in Jesus, but, he also believes in Discordian ideals like Nonsense as Salvation, Think For Yourself, etc.  Not all Christians are single-minded idiots like Pat Robertson and his flock.   

Yeah, I didn't mean to indicate that they were all the same... though I think it would be difficult to accept most, but not all of the current 'christian' dogma if you were promoting "Think for Yourself" and "Nonsense as Salvation".

That is, the Jesus in the Bible isn't exactly a "Think For Yourself, Schmuck" sorta guy... at least, not without some modification and editing. But, hell, there's nothing wrong with that ;-)

AFK

Yeah, but that assumes that all Christians are buying into the same dogma.  There are many shapes and varieties of Chritianity beyond what makes the press.  And not all Chrisitians rely as heavily upon the Bible as what you hear in the press. 

LMNO

I can understand a "Sermon on the Mount" Xtian Discordian, but not a Corinthians/Old Testament/Revalations Discordian.

Ok, maybe a Revelations Discordian, because it's freaky.

Cain

Phage = Old Testament Discordian.

Irrational, contradictory and highly chaotic.

AFK

I don't really know alot about the particular sect of Christianity that Chuck belongs to.  But from what I understood, they are definitely out of the mainstream when it comes to Christianity.  I don't think it's quite David Koresh territory, but I'm not entirely sure I'd drink the Kool-aid if they offered me some.   :wink:

But, when he and I would talk about Discordianism, most of our conversations focused around the "don't take everything so damned seriously" philosophies and "Think for yourself".  I understand how that doesn't square with some since to many of us it seems absurd that one could Think for themself AND believe in Jesus. 

But, isn't that the same as when we talk in BIP, when someone sees the prison, sees the cells, but decided, in the end, the cell they are in works for them? 

It would seem to me, if we disqualify someone based on that, we are claiming that we have concretely mapped out a part of THE Reality Grid. 

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on June 06, 2008, 05:09:38 PM
I don't really know alot about the particular sect of Christianity that Chuck belongs to.  But from what I understood, they are definitely out of the mainstream when it comes to Christianity.  I don't think it's quite David Koresh territory, but I'm not entirely sure I'd drink the Kool-aid if they offered me some.   :wink:

But, when he and I would talk about Discordianism, most of our conversations focused around the "don't take everything so damned seriously" philosophies and "Think for yourself".  I understand how that doesn't square with some since to many of us it seems absurd that one could Think for themself AND believe in Jesus. 

But, isn't that the same as when we talk in BIP, when someone sees the prison, sees the cells, but decided, in the end, the cell they are in works for them? 

It would seem to me, if we disqualify someone based on that, we are claiming that we have concretely mapped out a part of THE Reality Grid. 

Oh I wasn't trying to disqualify anyone!!!

I mean, thats the whole thing of our BiP, right... each of our cells are made of some unique mix of iron, stone and toilet paper. ;-)

I think, if one were to tackle it from a "Kingdom of God is within You" perspective and draw from some of the more apocryphal works... depending on which gospels you like, Jesus can appear as a pretty hoopy frood.

And, if you're happy with him as a Archetype, rather than the really real savior... well, the Dying God has been useful for lots of societies.

Cainad (dec.)

For sumbunall, I think it appeals to their guilty conscience.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Ohhhhhhh, wow, it just occurred to me how many people it would piss off if we canonized Jesus...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reverend Loveshade

Quote from: Nigel on June 07, 2008, 07:23:22 PM

Ohhhhhhh, wow, it just occurred to me how many people it would piss off if we canonized Jesus...

Discordians for Jesus at http://discordia.Uncle BadTouch.org/ek-sen-trik-kuh/discordiajesus.html also thought it was a great idea, hence the name.  Although I believe they're serious.
"Threats should not be tolerated. They're demeaning, they're violations to human rights and no one deserves them."

-- navkat, 20 June 2007, principiadiscordia.com

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think it would be more irritating if, say, the Great Googlie-Mooglie Cabal did it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

I Am Not A Rhombus

Quote from: Reverend Uncle BadTouch on June 06, 2008, 06:10:56 AM
Quote from: imposter on June 07, 2007, 08:32:26 AM
Unfortunately, that's not true. But... is it possible? How would one's relationship with the authority of Jehova be as a Discordian? Would Jehova be somehow like the character who smashes the barstool at those pretensious bastards? I wonder... Maybe some of you are Christians? I'm a n00b....

There are Christian Discordians.  There's even a group called Discordians for Jesus.  Mind you it's very small and doesn't have much organization, but it's there at http://discordia.Uncle BadTouch.org/ek-sen-trik-kuh/discordiajesus.html

If you go there please post this picture:

Quote from: Cainad on May 28, 2008, 08:11:24 AM
Quote from: Felix on May 28, 2008, 12:40:00 AM
It's funny to imagine Jesus' reaction to that statement.

Like this:

Thank you.