News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

ambient intimacy

Started by Triple Zero, June 09, 2007, 11:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

haven't had time to read and/or view this, but i'm fairly certain that it's relevant to this subforum:

http://www.disambiguity.com/reboot-90-ambient-intimacy/
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

Holy fucking shit.  This = cool shtuff.  Merci buckets, 000.

Jasper

I'm not certain I grasp the concept in the context of BIP.

Jenne

It's a subset of applied linguistics, the anthropological side, actually. 

QuoteSoooo,Ķ as you probably know, Ambient Intimacy is a term to describe that sense of connectedness that you get from participating in social tools online that allow you to feel as though you are maintaining and, perhaps in fact, increasing your closeness with people in your social network through the messages and content that you share online - be it photographs or text or information about upcoming travel.

So, I'd say this applied to this particular forum in that the BIP conversations create a sense of Ambient Intimacy among the interlocutors who participate in it.  The magazine project is an attempt to cull more participants and create a larger spectrum of BIP conversationalists.  The AI of the BIP creates more momentum to allow more AI between those who haven't heard of the BIP but need to and those who write the magazine.

That's just the intended audience.  You can go even beyond that and into the larger sense of the online community, I guess.

Jasper

*Brain collapse*

WUT

Did I ever call you vapid once? o.O

Lemme take a week off, drink some coffee after a nice nap, and I'll reread this.

The Littlest Ubermensch

[witticism/philosophical insight/nifty quote to prove my intelligence to the forum]

LISTEN TO MY SHOW THURSDAY 5-7 EST

THEN GO TO MY MYSPACE

Jenne

Quote from: Felix on June 11, 2007, 04:02:55 AM
*Brain collapse*

WUT

Did I ever call you vapid once? o.O

Lemme take a week off, drink some coffee after a nice nap, and I'll reread this.

Yes, you did.  I probably earned it.  Vapidity has its uses.

Why?  Was I doing it again?  :lol:

Jenne

OH, there's a whole ethnographic goldmine in this BIP, by the way.  Look this is a countercultural mixture of people from all over the globe, but they share a common goal and language (other than English, but it still glues them together).  Again, this shit is braincandy to me.

The metaphor for the BIP, though often STILL the subject of much debate, has a lot of merit in that it can bring so many together over a common cause.  That cause being, of course, the discovery of what the self is doing, exactly, and how it is doing it. Beyond that self is the many selves that went into the creation of where that self dwells, how it reacts, who it dwells with and what it does while it is dwelling.

Which, truly, is just so much situationalist toejam.  The larger question, I think, is an overarching mindset.  When you are teaching a gestalt, you can get all caught up in the functioning of the individual, but I think you just end up in personality and cultural differences in the main.

Sometimes it's even better to get back into real-time events and history and juxtapose those with what should be and what the ideal is.  But then you have to throw out reality and get mixed up in the depression that IS the result of said reality.  Big bummer, that.

*shrug*

Anyway, that's basically why I'm here:  the ethnography of the whole project. 

Triple Zero

well maybe my point with this article and the connection with the BIP metaphore was in fact not very well thought out :) glad you could make something of it anyway, jenne.

the BIP describes actually something "old", for the most part some semi-artificial-but-also-natural-structure grid of perceptions. but for the most part it's always been there, and also isn't going anywhere.
this article describes something new about online contact blah.
i wanted to present it as an example of the paradox way people have so much means to contact eachother but still seem to estrange from their neighbours, and a creepy sounding (to me at least) term like "ambient intimacy", kind of like ghost personalities, moving through eachother, but never really touch. (like the lyrics in Covenant - Go Film)

so i think it's interesting you turned that around and took it as a commentary on our community :)

----

hm just had an idea, basically the BIP is the old "reality grid" stuff combined with the fact you always have multiple "turned on" and that you can get hopelessly lost in that. so, another cute name for the BIP could be: "gridlock" -- got a bit more "cyber" feel to it :) or does this very short explanation not cover certain aspects of the BIP that i may have overlooked?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

"Gridlock."

You get mittens, plus hats:

Jenne

I like gridlock too--it's a way of understand the socialization aspect of the BIP...I second the hats-n-mittens.

tyrannosaurus vex

i disagree on the grounds that was spontaneously generated, which as every good christian knows, is not the way good ideas come about.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cain

Facebook is quite reliant on this idea.

As I know, from my continual emails to the management asking them to turn their features based around those ideas off, or at least let me have the option to do so.

The aspect of polarization however, is a lot more interesting.  I actually do know my neighbours (yes, she is still stalking me), but given the regularity with which I move around, I often have not.

The internet allows for communities based on something other than proximity and shared factors related to that (family, religion, ethnicity, the state) to emerge.  In short, it may change the primary loyalties of the individual into the abstract.  Political ideals, religions, companies.  Trans and sub national actors.  Because of obvious time limits and constraints, as well as the comparative triteness of many offline communal links in that rergard, they are sacraficed for those more attuned to the personal interests.

And as you know, I'm convinced this trend will eventually lead to outright conflict between the state and those powers, that this will be the paradigm shift, our WWIII and Peace of Westphalia, all wrapped into one.