News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

From Google to Infinity: map scalability

Started by Verbal Mike, May 29, 2008, 09:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: daruko on May 29, 2008, 11:14:49 PM
It doesn't matter how refined and detailed and scalable a map is... it's still REPRESENTING the territory.  Even the territory is not the territory when we're trying to put our finger on it, because the explanation/description/representation/abstraction/image of the territory is still a map.

:mittens:

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Requia ☣

I think that maps that are too easy to fit on to something that is not there qualify as bad maps, not scalable ones.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Raphaella

I don't think this is a map per say, but I think it could be used as such given time and evolution of this type of project. I do think this is pretty close to what a real time rendering of a place would be like, in three dimensions and from quite a few perspectives.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkuGrCB85H8&feature=related The mapping bit starts at about two min in.
Here is a link to a photosynth sample.  http://labs.live.com/photosynth/
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

PeregrineBF

The uncertainty principle means that you can never have a perfectly accurate map. And Thou Shalt Not Clone One Bit proves that you can't even make the map by copying the existing reality. There is no such thing as a perfect map, you can't make a map that IS the territory.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Raphaella VonMercer on June 01, 2008, 12:57:16 AM
I don’t think this is a map per say, but I think it could be used as such given time and evolution of this type of project. I do think this is pretty close to what a real time rendering of a place would be like, in three dimensions and from quite a few perspectives.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkuGrCB85H8&feature=related The mapping bit starts at about two min in.
Here is a link to a photosynth sample.  http://labs.live.com/photosynth/

yeah that's the one i was talking about! thanks!

i suggest anyone who can spare the 7 minutes watch this presentation, it'll knock yr socks off :D
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Daruko

it's very cool...... i look forward to seeing the repertoire for the real thing.

Verbal Mike

Quote from: Requiem on May 31, 2008, 09:25:44 PM
I think that maps that are too easy to fit on to something that is not there qualify as bad maps, not scalable ones.
I consider "that which is there" to be PURE CHAOS (this is the original thing that attracted me to Discordianism, and it is a very good way to express something I already had in mind beforehand). So essentially, any map has to fit something that is not there, because PURE CHAOS is by nature unmappable.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Verbatim on June 01, 2008, 08:12:11 PM
Quote from: Requiem on May 31, 2008, 09:25:44 PM
I consider "that which is there" to be PURE CHAOS (this is the original thing that attracted me to Discordianism, and it is a very good way to express something I already had in mind beforehand). So essentially, any map has to fit something that is not there, because PURE CHAOS is by nature unmappable.

Indeed, surely the Territory (if anything) might have to be considered as some collection of quanta, electrons, protons, nutrons and quarks. Anything else, would seem more like a representation of how we perceive and interact with those subatomic items... I think.

As to how we would map that territory... ick. :wink:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Verbal Mike

Yeah, it's like we can map a tiny theoretical case that illustrates the underlying dynamics of the Territory well, but that map doesn't scale very well... e.g, all attempts to apply quantum mechanics to non-subatomic objects.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.